Just bought a 18 unit for $12,581.36 in Ohio

Just bought a 18 unit for $12,581.36 in Ohio

Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes

Well sort of. I have to pay back taxes of $20k and about $1k in back water. And, yes it needs a full rehab but if I did my numbers right after all is said and done I'll be sitting pretty. I close this week so once I do I thought I would keep a this updated regarding the experience including all numbers so the BP community can benefit from my experience. Let me know your questions!

28Reply
314 views

Most Popular Reply

Jean BolgerPro Member
Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

No need for onsite management in Ohio, so don't worry about that. I bought a 29 unit in Columbus that was 50% vacant and in a C neighborhood. It's taken 2.5 years but it's starting to do pretty well-- however I certainly did NOT have the experience necessary going in, lol.

I agree that the prospects hinge pretty heavily on the city and neighborhood, but at that price it's probably worth a shot either way and I like the bold approach. I'll look forward to hearing more as the story progresses!

See this reply in the discussion

172 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 374 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    Omar, how's your rehab budget looking at this early stage?  $200k?  $300k?

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    @Aaron Smith Yeah I was told. New to me. At the end of the day it's about retraining tenants. Here they have common water as well and I'll be changing that also. I am taking my experience from large multifamily properties.

    @Nick Thomas This is a 6-9 month project but my projections are based on a 12 month turn time. However, one building is much nicer than the other so the plan is to complete one and get renters in as we work on the second. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    @Robert Nason For that here we could buy and rehab a 78 unit that would could potentially gross $468k. If you come out here your mind will explode. Not bad with crime and there are quite a few properties that need repair. I projected the rents at $400 but I expect we'll be at $495 paying no utilities.

    @Jay Ritchie Sounds good. Cool thing is we don't know how it will end...

    @Matt Moldenhauer I would love to learn more. If there is anyway of balancing efficiency and price that would be great. It is early enough to make all the changes we need. When can we talk?

    @Stone Teran I estimated $250k-300k however individualizing all the units is a substantial change order but in the long run will really improve the ARV. I'll let you know when we finalize the budget.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    @Matt Moldenhauer Didn't @ your name for some reason.

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Ha! You have to wonder about the cost/benefit ratio of stealing electrical wires...

    Pipes, maybe;)  Thank goodness for pex

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 292 posts · 280 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Omar Merced:

    @Aaron Smith Yeah I was told. New to me. At the end of the day it's about retraining tenants. Here they have common water as well and I'll be changing that also. I am taking my experience from large multifamily properties.

    Omar, it was great to meet you and @Robert Germano at the Dayton property. 

    I think that the single biggest challenge for you is "acclimating" yourself to the urban, midwest renter. As we discussed before, the midwest, urban renter is very hip to the fact that electric baseboard heating has the potential to wipe him/her out during the months of Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb.  Another factor is that they all look for "free heat" or "heat included", when looking for an apartment to rent. 

    I would love to hear from some experienced midwest multi family owners who have replaced windows and sliding patio doors on apartments with electric baseboard heat, and if those improvements made a significant dent in winter electric heating bills. 

    DL

    p.s.  Thanks to both of you guys for swinging by my complex and taking a look. After our conversation, I very much understand that I am still a "mom and pop" operation... but that's okay. It makes for a pretty nice life.  : )

  • Greenwood, IN · Member since 2008 · 35 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    I may have missed this in the 6 pages of posts, but where did you originally find the deal?  Was it through a contact or some other method?  Also, what attracted you to look in Dayton being from Vegas?

  • Greenwood, IN · Member since 2008 · 35 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Oof, just looked at the pictures.  What are you estimating for the rehab cost?

  • Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 759 posts · 379 votes
    10y

    @John Cashin All of that is answered previously.

  • Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 759 posts · 379 votes
    10y

    @Omar Merced How is this progressing?

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Omar Merced curious to see where you're at with the project.  

  • Paul AmegatcherPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brookville, OH · Member since 2016 · 488 posts · 363 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Darrin Carey  out bid at 12k thats cool.  

    so is it normal then in that market to buy larger run down multi unit for 500. a door or really get it for free.

    I did see a 4 plex one time in Youngstown that sold at tax sale for 8k.  

    Begs the questions why would this stuff sell this cheap.. we usually understand the reasons in other inner city settins IE its war zone Ghetto.

    What causes RE in that area to be valued  or in the reverse have little to no value ? 

    right now in our areas of the west coast multi is selling for 100 to 135k per door.  run down maybe 75k.

    there has to be some fundamental underlying factors that the market would price this property at that price... 

    and those are usually 

    1. crime

    2. schools

    3. quality of tenant base   IE they don't pay with any regularity

    another words price points adjusted for risk

    Curious on your take on this... 

    Or could it be a simple supply demand issue IE more housing units than people to live in them 

     I think there is a lack of investors with the knowledge and financing to do all the deals in the Dayton area.  

  • Darrin CareyPro Member
    Lender · Dayton, OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 705 votes
    10y

    @Paul Amegatcher Those two certainly matter. The big missing piece that slows down everything is a significant lack of good contractors. I have a hard time believing how difficult it is to find contractors that will simply do what they agreed to do and do it right. Not to mention doing it on time.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    @Omar Merced probably you're very busy with this project but do you have any updates for your followers? Thanks!

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    Ok, ok, ok. I'm sorry I haven't updated this but I'm sad to report that there has not been any updates. There will be soon though. I got caught up and in the middle of five flips here in Las Vegas and been crazy busy (and I took a small vacation to paradise). Initially, I wanted to beta test this for crowdfunding however I'm still looking into that but if my business keeps on the way it is I might just self fund the whole deal. Not sure yet. As soon as I make the next move I'll let you all know. Thank you all for so much support and best wishes. We'll get'r done!

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    @Zach Quick @Ingrid Poole @Jose Matuk

    Not sure if you're following this post so just letting you know the update.

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 65 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    @Darrin Carey In the words of the inimitable Ron Swanson, "I don't like to generalize......but all contractors are criminals."

  • Darrin CareyPro Member
    Lender · Dayton, OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 705 votes
    10y
  • Contractor · Middletown, OH · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Joshua Nicholas I would agree a lot of contractors are crooks but not all. I run a very successful contracting company in the Cincinnati and Dayton Ohio area. We have a great reputation of doing what we say and completing projects in a timely manner. So @Darrin Carey I keep me in mind for projects you have.

  • Tarrytown, NY · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 43 votes
    10y

    @Omar Merced, this is a great forum post. I am new and looking for my first deal into Real estate world. The post is one of the example for me to learn what is possible and to look beyond one's surroundings for the opportunities. Wish you much success.

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 732 posts · 137 votes
    10y

    @Omar Merced

    @Jay Hinrichs said it best. Investing in 100 year old houses how many miles away? Think I will stick to the dirt business!! Sleep real good no toilets and tenants if that"s what you have to do to create some positive cash flow, ouch!!

    Wish you all the best!

  • Investor · Rexburg idaho · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    @Omar Merced it's been awhile sense your last update, I'm sure your busy but do you have any updates as far what's happening now. Are you putting up a gate for your property to detract crime or is it not that much of a concern once the building is finished?

  • Investor · Rexburg idaho · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    @Mylon Jones sounds like a great property but this web site has a form for advertising services and properties, I would post it there because I believe BiggerPockets has rules regarding advertising in places other than that spot. Good luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Closter, NJ · Member since 2015 · 884 posts · 722 votes
    9y

    @Omar Merced  Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress!

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Mylon Jones, What @Daniel P Willis said. If/when you become a "Plus" or a "Pro" Member here at BP, you can advertise in the Marketplace Forum. All the best. Welcome to BP...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.