Searching for properties

20 Replies

what are some other places to look up apartment buildings for sale other than loopnet? 

craigslist, zillow, trulia, and most other for sale by owner sites

Jim Sakalis

Costar is the big one.

@Jim Sakalis thanks. 

I've tried zillow and trulia and can't find anything over 4 units but I'll dig into Craigslist 

Sign-up for a free trial with Prospect Now.  I think you get a few markets and you can do a search for your criteria (eg. Multifamily,100 units in Atlanta) and you will get contact info of property owners, sometimes phone numbers.

A few more options:
@ connect with as many brokers as possible. Bring them value and they will bring you off-market deals.
@ network with local investors
@ connect with mortgage brokers that do commercial lending.
@ reach out to commercial lenders on the local / regional banks and credit unions
@ direct mail campaigns
@ employ bird-dogs to search for you

Lots of things to do, pick your strategy and go all-in.

Good luck.

I really appreciate the help...Thanks a bunch fellas! 

What about your local MLS and Realtor.com? Most states or towns have a Commercial Assn. of Realtors that sponsors a Commercial MLS. But all of those seem to end up on Realtor.com, too, in my area. Of course, they're all overpriced, but most listed properties are, in my experience.

@Taron Jackson

My county has this site called quick maps. Its a map of the city that when you zoom in you can see every parcel. Click the parcel and get the owner info and a few other tab options for sales info, tax info, assessment info etc.. If I find a property I find interesting I check the county parcel search and run the owners name to see if they own more than 1 property.

I love to search around on it and find properties. You can see how long the people have owned it, what they paid for it, the owners name and mailing address. You can use this info to contact the owner and make an offer.

It takes some time but if you know the areas of your town that have the type of properties your looking for you can narrow your search area pretty quick. I keep a running spread sheet of the properties I find that I want to follow up with. Its kinda fun too.

Maybe your county has a similar web feature.

Originally posted by @Joseph Gozlan :

A few more options:
@ connect with as many brokers as possible. Bring them value and they will bring you off-market deals.
@ reach out to commercial lenders on the local / regional banks and credit unions
@ direct mail campaigns

Good luck.

@joseph How do you bring value to brokers when beginning to connect with them?

Good question @Brian Mangum

I was just going to tell the brokers my criteria and whatever properties they might be sitting on, I might know other investors that may be interested in those 

Man, That was fast. I just joined bigger pockets today.  Already loving this site.

Thanks @Taron Jackson for the quick reply.

As a Broker in Seattle, I am all about relationships. So, If an investor comes to me looking for properties a good way to start the relationship is with a quality bottle of whiskey. I always do whatever i can to build and cultivate relationships. Sometimes something thoughtful is a good way to go. 

As far as a place to find properties, check out www.citybldr.com

Originally posted by @Brian Mangum :
Originally posted by @Joseph Gozlan:

A few more options:
@ direct mail campaigns

Good luck.

@joseph How do you bring value to brokers when beginning to connect with them?

@Brian, 
Just a few samples:
@ take them to lunch
@ introduce them to other investors
@ send them leads if they don't work for you
@ mention them favorably on social media
@ share statistics/information you find online they could share with other customers

@ Introduce them to mortgage broker or local bank commercial lenders.

@ just be nice. Brokers often have to work with not-so-nice people, don't be one of them

Network with commercial RE agents who are very active. There will only be a handfull tops of top producing commercial agents that specialize in the type of property your looking for. Tell them exactly what you are looking for, show them proof of funds, prove to them that you are a serious buyer with the ability and intent to close rather than just kick the tires and waste their time, take them out to lunch (repeatedly if necessary). Your goal being whenever they see or hear of a new listing becoming available to think of you and call you before it gets formally listed. You could also start by finding buildings that meet your criteria but are not listed for sale, and figure out when it sold last and who the agent was, reach out to the agent (who already has a relationship with the owner) and ask to check if the owner is willing to entertain offers ... if yes, you can put in an offer on something not listed. If no, you just showed an agent who operates in that space that you are a serious buyer.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.