What do you think of this deal

What do you think of this deal

Investor · searcy, AR · Member since 2016 · 147 posts · 111 votes
Hi, i am in a mid-sized town in Arkansas. I currently own a duplex and 5 rental homes around town. We bought our first rent house almost 2 years ago now. It was a bank foreclosure. Appraised at 60, paid 30. We used equity in it to buy number 2 and cashed out the rest of the equity.we have done this with each consecutive deal and reinvested the cash. I recently came across a foreclosure I'm looking at. It is 10 unit apartment complex. It has a 15 washer/15 dryer laundromat on site, as well as a 3 bay coin op car wash with 6 vacuums. The place was built in 07. It has been empty since it sold 5 years for $560,000 fully operational. It appraised 2 years ago (closed up) for $280. The bank has been asking $199. I put in an offer of $170 and they accepted. 9 apartments rented at $350 one is tiny and rented at $200. Insurance/ liability is quoted at $5000. Taxes are $3200. Mortgage will be $823 monthly. What are your thoughts on this deal? I have no clue what income to expect from carwash or laundry.
0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Plano, TX · Member since 2015 · 734 posts · 511 votes
    9y

    @Dustin Lavender 15 w/d units in a 10 units building + car washing sound more like a business than a RE investment. 

    If you are interested in being a business owner then build a business plan, check the laundry/car washing competition and evaluate the income/expenses accordingly. 

    If you're not planning on making it a business, then don't count on that income, just evaluate the property on its own and consider the extra income as a cherry on top. 

  • Chris WaltersPro Member
    Montreal, Québec · Member since 2016 · 133 posts · 19 votes
    9y
    Dustin Lavender Hi Dustin, this seem to be a good deal. I ran some quick numbers and the property alone seem to be providing a minimum of 16% cash on cash ROI for any investor putting a 20% down payment. Assuming the washer and dryers are coin operated, both the laundry and car wash/cleaner are extra income that would increase your ROI. Do not forget to factor in a percentage for machine repairs. The laundry business can be costly if you do not become handy for repairs. The best advice I can provide you is to learn about the parts that need to be replaced. Youtube is a great place to learn. For any electrical stuff, always call a professional. Overall, this seem to be a great deal. I wish we had deals like this in my city! Good luck!
  • Investor · Searcy, AR · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I'm not actually putting any money down. I did a package deal a few months ago on a couple of SFH and an empty lot. It has about 45k usable equity and that is what I plan to leverage against the property and cash out to use for repairs also. I think I may try leasing the laundry equipment through a company here that does all repair and machine maintenance as well as collection. They typically give owners 40% take.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.