Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 333 votes
9y
@Brandon Sturgill I found the resources below to be the most influential while learning to raise capital to acquire large multifamily property. I also identified a few individuals who were actively acquiring large multifamily property and reached out to them, read their books, listened to their podcasts, attended their workshops, etc. Some of those who were most helpful were: Mark Kenney (Think Multifamily), Brad Sumrok, Joe Fairless, Brian Burke (Praxis Capital), Michael Blank, Brian Adams (Adams Investor Group), James Eng (Old Capital Lending), and Vinney Chopra (Moneil Invesments Group).
Books:
1. Wheelbarrow Profits by Jake Stenziano and Gino Barbaro - Focuses on purchasing, financing, and re-positioning "mom & pop" multi-family apartment communities.
2. The Ultimate Guide to Buying Apartment Buildings with Private Money by Michael Blank - A step-by-step overview of how to identify multi-family apartments and raise money from private investors to acquire and re-position them.
3. The ABC's of Real Estate Investing & The Advanced Guide to Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy - Solid detail on the process as well as case studies and advice based on personal experience.
4. The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings by Steve Berges - A nice overview of the apartment investing process from beginning to end with case studies and personal stories.
5. How to Create Lifetime Cash Flow Through Multifamily Properties by Rod Khleif - A nice overview of the apartment investing process from beginning to end with case studies and personal stories.
7. It's A Whole New Business by Gene Trowbridge - A detailed overview of the syndication business.
Podcasts:
1. Old Capital Real Estate Investing Podcast - Lots of good stories about newbie investors getting started with multi-family investing
2. Wheelbarrow Profits Podcast - While they have a variety of different guests, Jake and Gino have several interviews with individuals who have scaled quickly and achieved success in the multi-family arena. The Jake & Gino personal story is also a great success story in the value-add multi-family area.
3. Apartment Building Investing with Michael Blank - Same comments as Wheelbarrow Profits
4. The Lifetime Cash Flow Through Real Estate Investing Podcast with Rod Khleif
5. Best Real Estate Investing Advice Ever with Joe Fairless - I recommend the "Follow Along Friday" episodes to you. In these episodes, Joe shares updates on his investment activity and shares lessons learned, mistakes, and best practices from acquiring multifamily properties. He has scaled from 3-4 SFR's to ~2,000 multifamily units in just a few years.
Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 333 votes
9y
@Brandon Sturgill I found the resources below to be the most influential while learning to raise capital to acquire large multifamily property. I also identified a few individuals who were actively acquiring large multifamily property and reached out to them, read their books, listened to their podcasts, attended their workshops, etc. Some of those who were most helpful were: Mark Kenney (Think Multifamily), Brad Sumrok, Joe Fairless, Brian Burke (Praxis Capital), Michael Blank, Brian Adams (Adams Investor Group), James Eng (Old Capital Lending), and Vinney Chopra (Moneil Invesments Group).
Books:
1. Wheelbarrow Profits by Jake Stenziano and Gino Barbaro - Focuses on purchasing, financing, and re-positioning "mom & pop" multi-family apartment communities.
2. The Ultimate Guide to Buying Apartment Buildings with Private Money by Michael Blank - A step-by-step overview of how to identify multi-family apartments and raise money from private investors to acquire and re-position them.
3. The ABC's of Real Estate Investing & The Advanced Guide to Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy - Solid detail on the process as well as case studies and advice based on personal experience.
4. The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings by Steve Berges - A nice overview of the apartment investing process from beginning to end with case studies and personal stories.
5. How to Create Lifetime Cash Flow Through Multifamily Properties by Rod Khleif - A nice overview of the apartment investing process from beginning to end with case studies and personal stories.
7. It's A Whole New Business by Gene Trowbridge - A detailed overview of the syndication business.
Podcasts:
1. Old Capital Real Estate Investing Podcast - Lots of good stories about newbie investors getting started with multi-family investing
2. Wheelbarrow Profits Podcast - While they have a variety of different guests, Jake and Gino have several interviews with individuals who have scaled quickly and achieved success in the multi-family arena. The Jake & Gino personal story is also a great success story in the value-add multi-family area.
3. Apartment Building Investing with Michael Blank - Same comments as Wheelbarrow Profits
4. The Lifetime Cash Flow Through Real Estate Investing Podcast with Rod Khleif
5. Best Real Estate Investing Advice Ever with Joe Fairless - I recommend the "Follow Along Friday" episodes to you. In these episodes, Joe shares updates on his investment activity and shares lessons learned, mistakes, and best practices from acquiring multifamily properties. He has scaled from 3-4 SFR's to ~2,000 multifamily units in just a few years.
I think BP forums and the BP podcast provided strong value as well. I would listen to the podcast, get some nuggets and hear somethings that caused me to go research further.
The biggest thing about any new type of venture is that you don't know what you don't know. picking up bits and pieces that you can then go and research further was the best way for me to overcome that.
Although the resources listed are certainly useful, I would have to consider any book currently in print to be out of date unless it was written during the previous calendar quarter. Most publishers can't turn books around that quick. Even then, I'd need to update/validate that information with what is currently happening in the marketplace.
Networking is always good. There's always someone out there with something you can find helpful. Sharp professionals can be hard to find but are worth their weight in gold.
BPers are kinda down on paid education, but it works for me. The one I have is updated, almost as the laws are changed.
@Brandon Sturgill I have a list of books on my BP podcast show #135. So far over 110,000 people have listened to the show so I hope it is helpful to you - here is a link:
What you should first consider and it has helped me greatly is getting really clear on my WHY. I have a very long thread about how I quit my CPA job to buy large apartments and I discuss the WHY a little more.
The pathway to buying large deals has been hard. What has kept me going is being emotionally committed to my WHY.
Next month I am buying a 556 unit deal that is 2 miles from a 240 unit deal I own.
Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 168 posts · 195 votes
9y
@Brandon Sturgill Hi Brandon! @John Jacobus is a wealth of knowledge! He provided some great resources to get you started for sure. I just returned from The Real Estate Guys Annual Investor Summit at Sea (15th year)...and I had the opportunity to meet Michael Blank and Ken McElroy. These are both great guys and both have great material out there.
A couple more suggestions for you:
The Real Estate Guys Radio - Podcasts
Multifamily Partner - The Essential Step-By-Step Guide to Apartment Investing
Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
Hey @Tamiel Kenney awesome to meet Ken...seems like he is a pretty down to earth guy...I have definitely read his ABC book multiple times. Thanks for taking the time to contribute!
Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
Thanks so much for contributing @Brian Adams...I have been away from BP for a while focusing on brokerage on the residential side...definitely looking to get back into the investment swing and catch your podcast!
Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y
My favorites:
David Lindahl - "Emerging Real Estate Markets" and "Multi-Family Millions"
Ken McElroy - "ABC's to Real Estate Investing" and "Advanced ABC's to Real Estate"
Paul Moore - "The Perfect investment"
I also like podcasts - Joe Fairless, Michael Blank,
Blogs by David Lindahl are good (rementor.com)
Also researching marcus & Millichap, Cushman Wakefield and overall market is a great way to lean numbers. Talking with brokers and active investors in invaluable.