Apartment Bedrooms 2, 1 or Studios

Apartment Bedrooms 2, 1 or Studios

Kenneth GarrettPro Member
Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Hey BP Community, Just curious about when your purchasing an apartment building what do you look for in terms of bedrooms.  I prefer two bedroom units and a small percentage of 1 bedroom units.  Studios are not my favorite.  I have a little more difficulty in renting studios.  Two bedrooms are by far more popular.   Appreciate your input.

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y
Kenneth Garrett Overall, I would want 2-bedrooms. I have properties in a college town. While there are other businesses there's a "backstop" of students for renters as well as recent college grads. Those can be great for my 1-bedroom units. If I didn't have that demographic, if it didn't skew that way, I wouldn't want nearly as many 1-bedrooms as I have. Studios can be a very mixed bag. A lot of times they end up as the "apartments of last resort" as they are the cheapest. If I was going to buy an apartment building with studios they would have to be nice, newer, almost "above market" quality studios. But I also have no interest in renting to...well..."leftover" tenants. I'm over generalizing but such is the challenge in forum responses. Mileage for all may vary!
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Spartanburg, SC · Member since 2013 · 253 posts · 56 votes
    9y

    For what it is worth Kenneth, I think question will garner a familiar response that you hear in RE, which is "whatever you prefer" as an investor. I haven't ran into huge discrepancy between when 1 and 2 bedrooms, but I think it would depend on overall size.

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Kenneth Garrett Overall, I would want 2-bedrooms. I have properties in a college town. While there are other businesses there's a "backstop" of students for renters as well as recent college grads. Those can be great for my 1-bedroom units. If I didn't have that demographic, if it didn't skew that way, I wouldn't want nearly as many 1-bedrooms as I have. Studios can be a very mixed bag. A lot of times they end up as the "apartments of last resort" as they are the cheapest. If I was going to buy an apartment building with studios they would have to be nice, newer, almost "above market" quality studios. But I also have no interest in renting to...well..."leftover" tenants. I'm over generalizing but such is the challenge in forum responses. Mileage for all may vary!
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Junior Salters @Andrew Johnson

    Thanks for the responses.  Junior I agree it depends on your own preference. 

    Andrew good points.  I have student housing as well.  I do have a studio its not my favorite among other units.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Mount Olive, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 310 votes
    9y

    Welcome to BP!

    We buy 2 or 3 bedrooms. 1 bedroom or studios means high turn over in our area. 

    Hope it helps.

  • Professional · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 624 posts · 147 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kenneth Garrett:

    Hey BP Community, Just curious about when your purchasing an apartment building what do you look for in terms of bedrooms.  I prefer two bedroom units and a small percentage of 1 bedroom units.  Studios are not my favorite.  I have a little more difficulty in renting studios.  Two bedrooms are by far more popular.   Appreciate your input.

    It varies with the market. Demand for studios in Brooklyn, Manhattan, SF etc... differs from that of some of the other cities.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.