Building lacks garbage room and alley. How to handle garbage

4 Replies

I've acquired an old family building. Mix use. I have a major issue with trash collection. There is no designated trash room. Large barrels currently sit in the elevator landing. Unsitely and smelly. I can't make a room in the basement as the elevator only goes to the ground floor. So it may seem that I have to convert a storage closet on the commercial office floors as the "trash" room. But I fear it will just be smelly and dirty with all the household waste and office waste. The food and liquids really are a hassle that I want to contain.

You need to keep the trash on the exterior of the building.  I've managed several mixed use buildings and the last thing you want is to create a rodent problem and an unpleasant odor inside of a building with tenants and their customers. It's a recipe for disaster. 

Get a contract with a local trash removal company and make sure you order cans large enough to handle the amount of waste you need to remove.  Also, notify all of your tenants of the trash collection days and their required procedures for emptying their food waste.  Having had several restaurant tenants, they will probably be the worst which is why you need to set the rules and deliver them in writing (and ask that they post them for their employees to see) as soon as your dumpsters are delivered.  If any of your food service tenants have grease removal, they should already have a contract for that specific waste removal and that should not be your expense as a landlord.  Lastly, you should also get a pressure washing company to give you a contract to keep the ground around the dumpster area clean.

Best of luck to you!

This is a great thread, trash is something I never anticipated having to deal with. I end up partnering with a local high school to help beautify our trash and dumpster solution. ( still in progress)  Here are the general project details.

Updated over 3 years ago

Actual link is ..... https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwqiypCZZkoFTEF1WjdvMHRrc3c

This is a great thread, trash is something I never anticipated having to deal with. I end up partnering with a local high school to help beautify our trash and dumpster solution. ( still in progress)