Sharp drop in laundry usage

7 Replies

Where can I find laundry room usage data and statistics. I have some buildings in 2 separate towns with each having a pay laundry room. For months since I started tracking, there was typically a load a day on average. Suddenly it all stopped and there hasn't been any laundry for 3 weeks. I have double checked that everything is work and no tenants have complained. I would suspect tenants are up to something, but it has happened in both towns. So maybe it is just a seasonal thing?

They  figured out how to beat the coin changer 

Originally posted by @Matthew Paul :

They  figured out how to beat the coin changer 

The machines are credit card only. I was thinking maybe they hacked the machines, except that it has happened at both locations at the same time. Which would be an interesting coincidence so I think unlikely. 

That does sound suspicious. Its a lot days or dirty clothes. I would first check to see if the coin collector device on the machines have been tampered with and if that's not the case, just kindly ask the tenants if either there is new lower price Laundromat that might have opened up or are they no longer satisfied with using your machines.

What are the chances that the processor is having an issue on their end and not reporting properly?

Originally posted by @Matt K. :

What are the chances that the processor is having an issue on their end and not reporting properly?

I don't know. I considered that possibility and tested with my own credit card last weekend. The charge went through without issue. If there isn't any laundry activity this weekend, I should probably call the processor anyway. 

Or the other possibility , you have tenants wearing dirty clothes 

Install a camera.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.