How to analyze a multi family deal with 100% financing

5 Replies

Hello all,

I’ve been investing for about 5 years in single family properties that I manage myself and decided to jump into multi families. 

My question is, is how would I calculate a deal using the cash on cash method without actually putting cash down. Say if I have a 20 unit I want to buy for $500,000 and I come in with $75,000 equity from my properties and the seller takes back $50,000. Would I use a different metric completely to analyze this type of deal? I know I need more than just one analytic to size up a property but I’m just curious. 

Another question I have is, I know, a broad one. What kind of returns (ballpark) should I expect on a financed 20 unit property after all expenses are paid annually. A property that’s well kept of course. 

If ifs commercial multifamily you’d use a cap rate

@Joshua Simon : I sometimes "cross-capitalize" some of my properties in the way that you describe (pull money from one to pay for another.)

In your specific case, I would say that you're actually bringing 75K into the deal, not 0, so you can compute your CoC return based on the 75K going in.

Also, I would still account the borrowing cost against the property your borrowed from. So if you are borrowing 75K from property A to buy property B, reduce your "invested capital" in property A by 75K, but likewise increase the debt service of property A by whatever you're paying for the 75K.

Just think of it as a cash-out-refi of property A. You could choose to go buy a car with it, or do the smart thing and re-invest it, but it's still a cash-out refi. Since you choose to re-invest it, that 75K is now your new working capital and will be the basis for any investment you make with it.

Makes sense?

Asking about expected returns about a MFR is a little like asking what's the expected return on a stock. It kinda depends. :) If you're looking at B class properties, here are some stats.

AVERAGE cap-rates across all of the US for B class stabilized properties:

Tier 1 metros: 4.72
Tier 2 metros: 5.39
Tier 3 metros: 6.04
Avg for all metros: 5.15

Those are not good cap-rates, those are average. My gut-feel is that you should be looking to take down deals at-least 200 basis points above the average. More importantly, you should be thinking about your exit strategy. If you're going to buy and hold forever, then you care about cap-rate. If you want to sell after a fixed time-period, then you care less about caps and more about forced-appreciation, which you can do at any cap-rate.

Hope that helps!

James

@James Kojo

@Joshua Simon

The OP specifically states that no cash was paid and that this was all 100% financed. My interpretation is that the OP is not out any cash at all but offers the equity of another property for 75k. This is different from a cash out refi (i.e. no cash actually changes hands). The OP does not "borrow" (i.e. takes out cash) from property A to partially pay for property B.  

If this assumption is correct, then Cash on Cash can not be computed... many investors would say Cash on Cash is "infinite". I prefer the term "undefined" or "can not be calculated". The OP can however calculate ROE (return on equity) but this is a metric that's less commonly used.

Cheers... Immanuel

Thanks for the the replies. 

Basically what I am getting at is I was trying to find a different metric to calculate the properties I’m looking at because the numbers weren’t looking right. I buy properties to hold and the cash flow is my income stream so I don’t flip. 

I know of course about cap rate but I think the problem is the properties I’ve found so far just have not been good deals and were making me think I was calculating something wrong. For instance there’s a 38 unit I was looking at that would only cash flow around 20k which is just not worth my time. 

Along with that apartment there’s plenty more that I would be loosing money if I came in even close to asking price after paying the mortgage. 

@Joshua Simon I think you nailed it on the head with "not worth my time" in a 100% financing many of the standard KPIs are skewed. 

The best way to look at it is ROT: Return On Time. How much time & efforts you will need to invest in this property and how much value will it deliver in return. 

If the $/HR ratio is lower than what you expect, pass on the deal.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here