Is Memphis a good place for Multifamily investing??

Is Memphis a good place for Multifamily investing??

Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 13 votes

High Crime rate, high unemployment, great CAPS!.....

If anyone has experience with Multifamily in Memphis I'd love to hear your take. I'm tempted to invest there but don't want to end up in a war zone or fighting monthly to collect payments.

Is Memphis worthwhile looking into?

I appreciate your input.

Stephen

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y

every city ( or most cities) have their  A B C quality units.. or D and F.

if you buy CDF you better live there and understand what your getting into.. you should go look at @James Wachob C D projects they know what they are doing.

to make those high cap rates work the properties are surrounded by fencing... there is security.. no single males allowed on the property.. 

I have a friend that bought a cheap 60 unit their for 8k a door  and dump 600k into rehab.. he thought if he just made it nice it would work

well long story short.. management stealing.. murder  other crimes.. vacancy got up to 85% then got down to 50% and places were going to pot again.. they sold lost over 500k all in 18 months.. and I told them don't do it.

If you buy the A and B in any city and you can keep top end tenants then it does not matter what city.. what matters is what tenants.

cap rate is adjusting for Risk.. why is prime Multi trading for 3 to 5 caps.. when you can see 10 to 15 caps in those markets.. what is the reasoning for this everything being the same... its the tenants and the ability to actually manage them... 

James took me to his unit and it was an eye opener for SURE.... Highly secured environment that unless you live there and understand what your dealing with your going to get your clock cleaned financially speaking

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    every city ( or most cities) have their  A B C quality units.. or D and F.

    if you buy CDF you better live there and understand what your getting into.. you should go look at @James Wachob C D projects they know what they are doing.

    to make those high cap rates work the properties are surrounded by fencing... there is security.. no single males allowed on the property.. 

    I have a friend that bought a cheap 60 unit their for 8k a door  and dump 600k into rehab.. he thought if he just made it nice it would work

    well long story short.. management stealing.. murder  other crimes.. vacancy got up to 85% then got down to 50% and places were going to pot again.. they sold lost over 500k all in 18 months.. and I told them don't do it.

    If you buy the A and B in any city and you can keep top end tenants then it does not matter what city.. what matters is what tenants.

    cap rate is adjusting for Risk.. why is prime Multi trading for 3 to 5 caps.. when you can see 10 to 15 caps in those markets.. what is the reasoning for this everything being the same... its the tenants and the ability to actually manage them... 

    James took me to his unit and it was an eye opener for SURE.... Highly secured environment that unless you live there and understand what your dealing with your going to get your clock cleaned financially speaking

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs, Thanks so much for the input.

    I understand the risks with the different classifications in each city. The reason the Memphis market is interesting to me is that it is one of the only cities that is still listed as being in the "Recovery" phase of the CRE market cycle. This leads me to question if the CAPS are just generally going to be higher there.

    The second major area of question is because I've never analyzed a market with that high of a crime rate before. According to the FBI crime rate sheet, Memphis has double the violent crime than a majority of other major cities (ex. 1082 recorded violent crime incidents per 100k people in Memphis, compared to 533 in KC Metro). 

    To summarize, my question is this; Are the average CAPS higher there because of the market timing for Memphis, and if so, are there any safe areas to invest there or is the whole city loaded with crime.

    Thanks again for the input. The story of your friend who invested there was a little concerning!

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    I️ own one rental in Memphis and am looking at another now. From what I’ve seen multifamily in Memphis is tougher than other cities. This is one of the reasons I’ve also invested in another market. Even residential multifamily is taxed as a commercial property in Memphis. You can be very successful in Memphis with single family but multifamily (from what I’ve seen) gets more iffy. If you do multifamily there I’d recommend making sure rents are above 650. Hope this helps.
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    8y

    Stephen if you are interested in Memphis maybe you invest a small amount with a syndicator there for MF. If your investment tanks it is a smaller blip.

    That might be better than buying a larger property yourself and having much more to lose.

    Buying the worst place in the best areas tend to give better results if the price is right. In a bad area even if you make the place nice people tend to have many life issues and live hard in the units. That makes the properties much tougher to perform and more work.

    Talk to Chris Clothier. Memphis Invest

    He has tons of houses over there and can expand on the MF market. On the outside looking in you have an IDEA of how things might be there but talking to locals will help get the reality. 

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth, Thanks for your input. Thats a great suggestion looking at a base rental price of $650.

    @Joel Owens, I will check out Chris Clothier. Thanks for that suggestion.

    I think I'll heed everyone's tone and just steer clear of Memphis for the time being.

    Another occasion that I'm really thankful for the BP community!

    Take care and happy investing,

    Stephen

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Memphis is one my list of sleepers, but there are a lot of "what if's." Look for solid B areas if you do invest there. 

    I wrote about this recently. Check out the post:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/10145/68178-to...

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    @Todd Dexheimer, Thanks for the info. Thats a great article also. I am currently focusing in on 4 of the markets you listed.

    Since posting this question I've had a lot of feedback suggesting that Memphis should be avoided. I talked to a very knowledgeable CCIM holder out of Nashville and he put the nails in the coffin for me. He was explaining that the crime areas there change frequently so you're really rolling the dice with your pick. Its too bad that they don't clean up the city because it has great potential.

    Looking for a solid B is an interesting idea also with the CAP rates being as high as they are. I noticed most listings on the usual's like Loopnet, showcase, CityFeet etc are all C class properties. Do you just connect with CRE brokers to find the B class?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Stephen Kleyn  I am by no means an expert in this.. but if I was going shopping.. for a multi I would ONLY be dealing with the top commercial brokers in the market place.

    it seems by the time property gets to loop net those are the one's the pro's passed on..

    from my limited experience great commercial brokers double end everything.. and when they get a great property the property is sent to their KNOWN buyers list.. no need to send it out on the internet or loop net or anything else like that.

    to me its the old boys school at work.. and can be a tough one to crack if you cant show absolute ability to close and know what your doing.. not a lot of hand holding goes on there.

    I brokered two B class props in Oregon a 80 unit and a 40 unit.. 5 mil and 3.5 mil respectively and that's how it went.. I had to literally stop in the offices and talk the agents into letting me make offers on their listings.. but even then.. If they can sell them to their clients first and double end the commish that is what they will do.

    And of course I am all for being corrected on my thought process here .. but just my limited experience.

    I have a ton of experience in the Mississippi valley though and can flat tell you the tenant base on the lower end high cap properties are a HUGE risk to an out of state investor or someone who is not a TRUE PROFESSIONAL in the space.. @Brian Burke  hunts for multi from the west coast if you could get him to give you some hints that would be helpful... and again those are just my very LIMITED experienced in the space.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Todd Dexheimer  I am hot on number one and two on your list. !!!  I think with the new tax laws if enacted that take away state tax deductions Vegas could see some pretty good flow in form high states like OR and CA.. I know I just bought a place in Vegas to shift state residency.. and I am just one guy LOL.

    but seriously high wage earners will start looking at this closer. If your income is not directly tied to the state you live in like mine is.

    plus nothing beats the sun and 70's in the winter  LOL...

    I have done a lot in Detroit.. I think the suburbs are fine I would still be quesy with Wayne county though in general..

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs  I agree. Vegas is definitely a market to look heavily into. The two downfalls I see is that the cash flow is not quite as good as some of the other markets and I think the downside during a market correction could be one of the largest that's on the list. With that said though the bounce back likely would be the highest.

    As far as Detroit I think the suburbs are definitely solid. There is a lot of potential within the city as well, but that was going to come with a lot more risk

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Stephen Kleyn to get access to any good deals you will need to talk with the commercial real state broker's directly. 

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Thanks again for the input guys. 

    I agree that one of the ways to get a good deal is to go through a broker. The difficulty, as you were saying @Jay Hinrichs, is getting the pocket listings from brokers that are in other states. I am working pretty hard at it though, offering "bonuses" etc.

    @Todd Dexheimer, I definitely wouldn't rule out Loopnet and the other sites though. I've got some friends that have gotten great deals on Loopnet, and other sites, even Ebay and Craigslist. Properties that are now performing really well.

    A good friend of mine just went into contract yesterday on a Loopnet property that was listed by the owner. Incredible numbers on it, and a stable area.

    I am working with, and being coached through a multi-family group so I get to watch everyone catching the big fish around me. Its educational, inspiring and at some times frustrating as all get out! lol

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Stephen Kleyn I should have said most good deals. I found a deal on loopnet in 2017 as well. They are on there, but mostly it is a good research tool. 

  • Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2015 · 435 posts · 300 votes
    8y

    Hello @Stephen Kleyn my partner has owned several multifamily complexes here in Memphis TN and property manages a few others. Recently I just sold a 58 unit for him. It is in a C+ class neighborhood we sold it at a 8.5% CAP. He bought it completely crime-ridden 40% occupied and completely turned around the complex got it up to 95% occupied with 97% collected rent. The trick is your management he hired a full-time on-site manager for the complex and another one nearby to watch the place like a bulldog. Additionally is the strict tenant screening he did. Good management is key.

    Sean

  • Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2015 · 435 posts · 300 votes
    8y
    1. Also for anyone looking for some multifamily/commercial CAP rate data Click Here to see a recent report provided by the Shelby county assessor. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.