Investment/ AirBnB Property in Miami

7 Replies

Hello I am interested in purchasing a house/ condo/ townhouse ($100,000-160,000 budget) to serve as short term rental property 

(i.e. AirBnB)  in Miami (may also consider Fort. Lauderdale). Any recommendations on a reputable realtor in Miami who is familiar with condo associations that will allow short term rentals in a good investment area ? What are the best areas in Miami considering the budget?  Would also like to know if there are any local state/ zoning/ tax regulations or restrictions with this type of investment? 

Thanks in advance for all feedback. 

Hi @Tamara Smith - I've commented on previous post of yours but 160k will be extremely hard to find a great investment in Miami/Fort Lauderdale. If you are willing to finance some of it then you are open to great properties. 

I know all the zoning restrictions for either area so if you just need general information feel free to shoot me a message.

Thanks for your input @Richard Ibeh .. It would all be most likely be financed..what would you say is a reasonable budget for South Florida for good ROI?

@Tamara Smith just starting out a good 2 or 3bed/2bath townhome or house would be great up to 400k. Would not recommend condos because of the HOA fees/restrictions etc. There are areas not by the beach that make great rentals by many out of state investors or realtors that haven't done short-term rentals would not know. Everyone believes you absolutely have to be on the beach to make money which isn't true.

@Richard Ibeh seems like I'd have better luck with the other areas you mentioned as 400k is way out of the budget.

@Tamara Smith up to 400k is the max I would spend starting off in South FL. You can definitely find multiple places below that price that will allow short-term rentals. I'm not a realtor but I have tons that have alerts out so I can scoop up new investments. Wherever you decide just have to consider if they are a seasonal place (Panama city beach) or an area with a constant flow of traffic due to events, population, conferences, major airport etc etc

@Richard Ibeh got it! Definitely understand . I will definitely PM you as I get closer in the process and narrow down areas that I'm seriously considering .. You're  a property manager? 

Thank you for all your input ! 

@Tamara Smith yes, both investor and manager. Prior to 2018, I oversaw the FL division for the 3rd largest VR mgmt company in the nation(rather not say the name to give them free promo here). After we split ways I started up a local management team here in South FL. I mainly come to biggerpockets to help/educate anyone seeking advice. The more knowledge everyone has the better for the industry. The novice VR owners are the reason we have so many city regulations now.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.