Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
George Bruton
Votes |
Buying 20+ units outside CA. Streching the dollar......

George Bruton
Posted Feb 9 2019, 17:18

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to invest in multi-family properties within the range of 2-5M.   I currently live in Southern California and have been searching for opportunities here but find that many deals are overpriced and make it a challenge to cash flow.   With that said after reading on this site and others, many contributors discuss deals in midwest and east coast that have very low door rate vs California.    There was a post I was just reading about investing in Indy and buying 4 plexs for under $300k.   I could only dream of finding that type of deal here.

I can pick up an 8 unit property near the beach for $2.9M currently.   If I take that $3M to Dallas Tx.  I found a 38 unit property for less than $2.9.  I understand rents would be lower on the Dallas opp. vs the Beach opp. but I would be making it up with units.   Clearly, there are big investors here in the California markets so there is money to be made.   But what would be the business case to stay and invest here vs outside in states where you get much much more for your $?     

I apologize if this is a basic question and I did try searching the forum with no luck.

Thank you,

George

Loading replies...