Abington, MA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 4 votes
I just bought a 2-family, and I am house hacking/BRRR. I found myself not wanting to take a picture of the kitchen when I was going to make my listing, so I figured that I should update it if I didn't think that it was up to snuff. I am also looking to add value to the house to get some more money out of it when I refinance out of my FHA loan.
I am planning on painting the cabinets, a new countertop, painting the cabinets, and replacing the sink. It is going to cost about 4k for a Quartz countertop, or about 1.3k-1.5k for the formica. I am hoping to get a long term tenant into this side of the property, as it is a 3br/2ba.
I am torn on which countertop to put in. I had about 15k in reserves going into this, and it looks like the kitchen is going to eat up between 6-8k. The kitchen is functional left as is, but I feel that updating it would attract a higher end tenant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
last one I updated 12 months ago went from $575 to $825.
I pick up damaged cabinets from Lowes as they became available all in for $981. Regretted going with formica but added white subway tile backsplash & vinyl flooring ($200), scratch & dent fridge ($350), stove ($275), (very dented but repairable) over stove microwave $25 & a dishwasher $125. Then I put in a new (scratched) steel entry door $125 & it rented immediately.
Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
7y
How much more rent can you charge for updating the kitchen? 100-200 a month? So it’s a math problem for the most part. Is the investment worth the return? Will the kitchen update alone change who is applying for your unit. It’s still in the same location. Does it bump it into a different class type?
Just asking questions that only you can answer. Good luck.
Abington, MA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 4 votes
7y
@Account Closed this is the struggle I am having with it. I believe that I may get about $100/month more, and possibly attract a higher quality tenant. However, I am doing about 30k in renovations to the other unit, and I have 15k in reserves. I just don't want to move forward on renovating the kitchen and possibly run into issues and end up out of my reserves.
Rental Property Investor · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2015 · 253 posts · 178 votes
7y
Quartz is beautiful and expensive, laminate is functional and economical but installed right it can look really great. Renters are hard on properties regardless of class, just more so the lower you go. Ran into this a few months back myself, make the decision with the numbers, not the emotions.
Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
last one I updated 12 months ago went from $575 to $825.
I pick up damaged cabinets from Lowes as they became available all in for $981. Regretted going with formica but added white subway tile backsplash & vinyl flooring ($200), scratch & dent fridge ($350), stove ($275), (very dented but repairable) over stove microwave $25 & a dishwasher $125. Then I put in a new (scratched) steel entry door $125 & it rented immediately.
Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
7y
@Leroy Wallace Jr I would say formica should be fine if the rest of the kitchen is done nicely. One thing to consider is what does the rest of the market have? Are they all quartz/granite? If so you'll likely have to be priced lower or go with quartz. But if you're in an area where formica and laminate counter tops are common, you should be fine.
Quartz is a waste of money in anything other than a A class property unless all the rentals in your area are using quartz. For a standard rental property use Formica. It is the most cost effective and will not negatively impact tenants selection.
You will be thankful you chose formica when your tennats trash the property.
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
7y
For 100 a month more-maybe? I would spend as little as possible. I am all for bringing up the standard of my properties but over-improving a property is flushing money down the toilet.
Flipper/Rehabber · Delaware County, PA · Member since 2009 · 30 posts · 12 votes
7y
First, who is your potential tenant? High, low, in-between? Lower end tenants won't care, but will also be more likely to destroy the Formica (it burns, peels from water infiltration). A higher end tenant will expect stone or quartz, and may get turned off from Formica. For the in-betweeners, I would research my competitors, and try (in many ways) to be & look better.
Second, there are some amazing Formica (actually a brand name) colors now. See their FX line in particular. I love their Calacutta Marble.
Finally... have you priced granite? In our market, granite is cheaper, and (at least at my showroom) there are several light greys (which are the most popular) to choose from. It doesnt have the same appeal that Quartz now has, but it's cheaper than quartz, as durable as quartz, and a much better appeal than Formica! Granite will actually hide scratches & such better than a light quartz too. The maintenance is minimal, and most people dont bother at all.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
How big is this kitchen? Is this custom formica because of the layout ? It just seems like the price difference should be bigger between the two. I would not do quartz unless it is a higher end or you get a deal. Also check out granite and if you are DIY recycled corian. I like both of those for durability. That said , keep in mind it is not about your taste. If you have a $1700 apartment look at other $1700 places in your area, be a step above but not 3 steps above the competition , it is a waste of money.
Abington, MA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 4 votes
7y
The property is basically two separate house joined by an enclosed breezeway. So the house that I am looking at putting this in on is a 2100sf 3br/2ba. Comparable rents in the area are about 2400ish, I am looking to rent it for 2200-2300. Below are pictures of the kitchen.
Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, Florida Area · Member since 2016 · 106 posts · 48 votes
7y
@Leroy Wallace Jr
We installed man-made quartz countertops about 5 years ago, and then we moved out and rented the home. Three tenants later, the quartz still looks great.
Yes, quartz costs more, however, 5 years later, there are no burn marks, scratches, or damage. A bad tenant can damage anything, but you truely do get what you pay for.
Will I use quartz again moving forward? Yes, I probably will. I like it because it is very durable.
Flipper/Rehabber · Delaware County, PA · Member since 2009 · 30 posts · 12 votes
7y
As stated, I'm a flip/hold investor and a kitchen designer. Heres my take:
Don't paint the cabinets. These look like a good quality wood, which will hold up far longer than hand-painted wood. Wood is coming back. Not the cherry tone so much, but it's fine.
On that note, the wood ceiling beams are awesome. Leave them!
But paint the room's woodwork white, including those closet doors that seem to match the cabinets.
What's to the right of the sink? Is something missing? No one uses a kitchen desk either. Perhaps bring the counter all the way to the fridge, and remove/raise that desk drawer? Leave open space underneath for a trash can or counter stool.
Are you replacing the floors? They bother me more than the cabinets! But the tile can make do, because it will last. Maybe have the grout cleaned (I bet its light) and sealed.
I agree with new counters, a very light quartz or granite. What are you color options? (Stone names). And a neutral tile back splash. You cant go wrong with white subway and white quartz. "Giallo Ornamental White" is a great, inexpensive granite.
How about new appliances? Or at least a black fridge to match the others. And if you make the counter change mentioned above, leave room for a standard 36" fridge.
What's over the range?
You're also going to have to remove the corner wall cabinet to change counters. Fyi.
And... if comp rents are 2400, why not ask 2400?! Or advertise as such, and negotiate only if you have to.
Abington, MA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 4 votes
7y
@Jeannette C Thank you for all of the tips!! We are leaving the cabinets as they are, and the tile has been ripped out. I have started to lay some new tile!