Multiple renters in a single family home?

4 Replies

Hey guys,

I found a single family home (SFH) in Suffolk, VA that is trying to pass as a duplex. It looks like they converted the SFH into a duplex without pulling permits to do so. Do you guys know if a property manager can legally rent out both sides of the home without it being a true duplex? What are your thoughts?

V/r,

Jesse

@Jesse Daconta Does it happen to be on Wellons St? These unofficial duplexes are fairly common. I just bought one in Newport News last week. You can run into boarding issues with not being allowed to have more than four unrelated people living in the same house. It's also often a pain/expense to deal with the utilities and figure out how to split them between the two tenants or pay for them yourself. For the house in Newport News, I'm converting it back to a single family. I'm sure @Patti Robertson deals with this all the time.

@Ernest Grindle This one is 4609 Hardy Dr. I see you're from Suffolk, VA. My wife and I are moving to Suffolk/Chesapeake, VA in September due to the Navy (we're currently in Arizona). We'll have an agent look at it today and I'll let you know about it. We should grab a meal some time when my wife and I get to Virginia.

@Jesse Daconta  Hello Jesse.  Thank you for your service.  My uncle works down at the shipyard.  You would half to assume the PM knew the property history, which I doubt.  This is on the owner.  You can look up County records in building and planning and get what permits where pulled, if any.  I would start there.

Sorry for the delay.  I haven’t had time to check into BP lately.  I actually wrote a blog on this very topic of non-conforming lots.  You are absolutely correct to be concerned and need to do some research before committing. I don’t think BP will let me post a link b/c the blog is on my website, and not here.  My website link is in my signature line and the blog post is easy to find.

Originally posted by @Jesse Daconta :

Hey guys,

I found a single family home (SFH) in Suffolk, VA that is trying to pass as a duplex. It looks like they converted the SFH into a duplex without pulling permits to do so. Do you guys know if a property manager can legally rent out both sides of the home without it being a true duplex? What are your thoughts?

V/r,

Jesse