Theft in my duplex rehab!

9 Replies

Just had a theft in my duplex rehab! 

Besides buying fake signs and cameras as deterrents (and making my property entryways more secure), what do you all recommend further? Should I install a security system with a company like ADT or Brinks?

Cameras can work (I get the cheap WiFi ones, whether or not they are connected). Also take a look of simplisafe. It’s a wireless security system that has no contract and is easy to install and remove when the reno is done.

@Peter Kozlowski 

What was stolen and where was it? Inside the rehab or out in the yard some where. Best deterrent is locked windows and doors. If you have to store stuff outside, consider a job box, conex box or construction fencing that you can lock. Motion detector lights are good to. 

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor
Originally posted by @Peter Kozlowski:

Just had a theft in my duplex rehab! 

Should I install a security system with a company like ADT or Brinks?

Alternatively, you can buy a home security yard sign and, perhaps, a faux security camera off eBay.

My house is secured by two ADT yard signs procured from someone who used to sell security systems for a living.  

Stay away from the Brinks and ADT for the rehab as they'll be too pricey. Use something that is plug and play that stores recordings for as long as you will need between checking the tapes.