New to Real Estate 路 CT 路 Member since 2019 路 18 posts 路 12 votes
Hi everyone, bran new here and to real estate investing. Last month i took the little money I had (10k) and used it to pay down my high interest credit card debt. Thinking this needed to be done prior to my real estate investing career and in hopes it would help me get better interest rate once I start the pre approval process.
I had about 20k in credit debt I paid 10k and did a balance transfer to 2 zero APR cards for 5k each which gave 12-15 months zero APR. Ive been waiting for this to be reported to the credit agency and when I looked today TransUnion had me up 80 points but Equifax has me down 72 points! My utilization is under 20% I don't understand? Did I hurt myself because while I brought my overall utilization from 36% down to under 20% those 2 cards are "maxed out" ? Will this hurt me when I go apply for a conventional loan? I currently own a condo but I'm interested in getting a multi family home to house hack. B
Are there any lenders that can clarify this for me?
Rental Property Investor 路 TN 路 Member since 2018 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
6y
They consider how long you have had the credit cards and the percent of the available credit that is used. So that is what brought your score down. No problem, as you pay off the cards your percent credit used will go down and the cards will be older. Also keep those old cards that you no longer owe on as they will add to your score....old cards with 100% of the available $ available!
Specialist 路 Riverside, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 6k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
6y
Your score likely went down because you opened new accounts, this will fade over time but it is great you are paying down your credit card debt, since you still have $10k to go before you invest in RE you should see your scores recover over time especially if you continue to pay down your balance and pay everything going forward on time and in full.
Lender 路 Lewis, CO 路 Member since 2017 路 218 posts 路 159 votes
6y
Maxed out revolving debt is a big hit on most credit scoring models so that is definitely going to contribute to a score drop. However, it's interesting that one score is up and one is down. A good lender can use re-score software through their credit vendor to see what paying down any revolving debt might do to a score.
Rental Property Investor 路 TN 路 Member since 2018 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
6y
They consider how long you have had the credit cards and the percent of the available credit that is used. So that is what brought your score down. No problem, as you pay off the cards your percent credit used will go down and the cards will be older. Also keep those old cards that you no longer owe on as they will add to your score....old cards with 100% of the available $ available!
Property Manager 路 Ketchum, ID 路 Member since 2016 路 277 posts 路 132 votes
6y
I have just been through this with credit on my husband's cards. Your score went down because you opened two new cards and that basically increases the amount of credit open to you. It takes a month for the payoffs to show we found. It happens when the next billings, on the cards you paid down, go out. So since you only transferred money into the new accounts and show less debt than before and (the best part) you are under 49% debt ratio all should clear up then. Be sure to make payments on each card every month and you should be good to go if you can qualify otherwise for a mortgage. I am an investor and own a software company, not an accountant or lawyer. So this missive only represents my experience.
Rental Property Investor 路 Sioux Falls, SD 路 Member since 2015 路 9k+ posts 路 18k+ votes
6y
@Lizbeth Castellano opening cards counts as a hit, but that works out over time. As other said, it could be that you have maxed out two cards. It could also be that one bureau sees the new cards but doesn't yet show the old card paid off. My guess is within a couple months it will stabilize.
One thing you can do that may help is call the two cards that are maxed out and see if they will increase your limit. They may give you another thousand or two on each card and then they are no longer full.
Also do not close credit cards. Reducing your total available credit will then show your credit utilization went up. When I last closed a card, I had another card increased by similar amount.
Rest assured that paying down that $10K credit card debt was the right decision and it will pay off over time on your credit score.
New to Real Estate 路 CT 路 Member since 2019 路 18 posts 路 12 votes
6y
@Timmi Ryerson. Thank you Tammy I appreciate the input. I didn't close any cards so I'm hoping with the increase of credit line and lower debt and overall utilization it will get cleared up soon.
New to Real Estate 路 CT 路 Member since 2019 路 18 posts 路 12 votes
6y
@Joe Splitrock thank you Joe I am going to give that a try. Do you know if I have to wait 30 days or more to try to get those credit cards increased? Now that I think of it, it's kind is silly that in have cc with over 25k line yet they only gave me 5k each so now with lower utilization they may consider increasing it?!!
New to Real Estate 路 CT 路 Member since 2019 路 18 posts 路 12 votes
6y
@Natalie Kolodij. Thank you Natalie I think that's why I was so upset bc I thought I was making a smart move and I did expect a slight drop bc of those 2 cards but not 70+ drop 馃槻! None the less Im saving hundreds if not thousands in interest charges so even if it takes a lil longer to start investing im hoping it was the best move.
There another factor I didn鈥檛 see mentioned... pull your score from multiple sources and you鈥檒l get multiple numbers. I鈥檝e had them up to 240 points apart in come cases here in Canada..
Rental Property Investor 路 Chubbuck, ID 路 Member since 2018 路 532 posts 路 466 votes
6y
When you get new debt your score drops. I would never play the interest rate game with new credit cards. Your score will recover and improve in a few months and you will be fine.
Rental Property Investor 路 San Diego, CA 路 Member since 2013 路 79 posts 路 25 votes
6y
@Lizbeth Castellano
Short answer. Yes. By opening two accounts and maxing out those two cards. I agree with your strategy and think long term it鈥檒l help you. Just keep working it and the score will bounce back.