Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
Any other firefighters and first responders out there in real estate investment? I work for Los Angeles County Fire Department as a firefighter/paramedic in the West Hollywood area. Currently invested in over 700 units of multifamily and always looking to connect with fellow first responders.
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y
I’m a former first responder, 14 years in various roles. Some as a police officer, some as a 911 dispatcher, some as a firefighter/EMT (FF-I, FF-II, then driver-operator on engine company and truck). Even did a part-time stint with AMR on a BLS ambulance (I guess I get bored easily, LOL). Fun times!
Then I decided to turn my side-gig of real estate investing into my full-time focus. That was almost 20 years ago and while I really loved my former vocation, I’ve never looked back. Since that time I’ve raised way over $100 million from investors and bought over a half a billion dollars of real estate. Man, it seems like two completely different lives.
The difference is I worked for a small city (less than 50K people) and you work for a REAL fire department—I grew up watching squad 51 and engine 51 on my tiny four-channel color TV, LOL. You see more trauma in a 24 hour shift than I saw in a year.
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y
I’m a former first responder, 14 years in various roles. Some as a police officer, some as a 911 dispatcher, some as a firefighter/EMT (FF-I, FF-II, then driver-operator on engine company and truck). Even did a part-time stint with AMR on a BLS ambulance (I guess I get bored easily, LOL). Fun times!
Then I decided to turn my side-gig of real estate investing into my full-time focus. That was almost 20 years ago and while I really loved my former vocation, I’ve never looked back. Since that time I’ve raised way over $100 million from investors and bought over a half a billion dollars of real estate. Man, it seems like two completely different lives.
The difference is I worked for a small city (less than 50K people) and you work for a REAL fire department—I grew up watching squad 51 and engine 51 on my tiny four-channel color TV, LOL. You see more trauma in a 24 hour shift than I saw in a year.
Real Estate Coach · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2015 · 431 posts · 235 votes
6y
@Hud Floyd I've been in Public Safety since 1997 when I first got my EMT license--Most of my carreer was in EMS, but I've also been a Firefighter and Public Safety Officer. In the last decade or so, I've been more involved in teaching and consulting in the are of traumatic stress/crisis intervention--which I still do some of. Last year I stepped away from the Fire Department I worked for and have started a Fire Damage Restoration business--an area I got into by flipping fire-damaged properties.
Great to hear from you--look forward to connecting.
Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
6y
Mr. Burke, a pleasure. I literally just listened to you being interviewed on a podcast. I was returning home from an investor conference in Dallas last night. I'm inspired by your story and success. Look forward to the chance of connecting with you in the future.
Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
6y
Hi Jeremy. Thanks for reaching out and thank you for the work you've done in crisis intervention. It's an important area. Just got back last night from a multifamily conference in Dallas. We'll definitely connect soon.
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
6y
Welcome to BP Nation Hud! I am not a fire fighter or first responder but my father in law was a first responder (retired) and 2 cousins are active firefighters here locally, on in Santa Clarita, the other in the San Fernando Valley. Thank you for your service. That is quite an impressive accomplishment acquiring those units, are they all here locally in CA or abroad?
Stay active on the site and engage the community. There are many great connections you can make here. Folks like @Brian Burke are a perfect example.
As for me, I am a full time developer, investor, and general contractor (I wear lots of hats right now) and I love real estate!
Hello! I am a firefighter/paramedic for a city in the salt lake valley. I am just getting started in real estate. I have one single family home I rent and I am working on getting more. I would love to get to where you are one day. Thanks for reaching out.
Rental Property Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2019 · 673 posts · 677 votes
6y
@Hud Floyd 10 years first responder here. Got into RE seriously over the last year and purchased my first house hack. Looking to do my next deal as a 4 to 10 unit building. Currently exploring options for financing. Congrats on over 700 units. Very impressive!
Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
6y
Hey Will. There's a chance I might know your cousin. Santa Clarita is LACoFD and I was stationed in the area for a year. I do not have any MF investments here in California. I focus in more landlord friendly States. I'm concentrated in the Midwest; Texas, Kansas City metro, and looking in other regions.
Loranger, LA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 0 votes
6y
@Hud Floyd I am currently a FF/EMT in a small rural combination department. I work “paid” on my days off from my offshore oil production job. I still make all the calls as a volunteer on the days I’m not on shift. My son and I began a wholesale company in December and are loving the journey and excited about the future.
New to Real Estate · Southwest Virginia · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 5 votes
6y
Volunteer firefighter/EMT (since 2008) to begin, now career (for the past 8 yrs) at the airports in the Washington DC area. Side note, my daughter at the age of 16, also volunteered. We took the training together, were we where the first father/daughter volunteer firefighter trainee to complete the program in the county, we live in Virginia. It was a great father/daughter bonding time too.
I am just getting back into RE and new to investing. Had my RE license (let expire in 2013) prior to accepting an opportunity to travel throughout Canada and the US, performing photometric inspections of runway lights for airport. I am looking at investing in land in the Southwest Virginia area. Trying to make my first investment by late spring 2020.
Rental Property Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 18 votes
6y
@Hud Floyd good afternoon!
Firefighter for Orange County Fire authority, currently stationed in Buena Park station 61. I am also new to real estate investing I have one single family home other than my primary residence. I have a long way to go until I am anywhere close to your level of success. I appreciate you reaching out, I would love to hear more about your journey of how you got to where you are today!
Lender · Spokane, WA · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 5 votes
6y
@Hud Floyd
Hi guys. I’m a career firefighter with the Spokane FD in Washington state. I live and invest here although our portfolio is still quite small, closing on a triplex this week which I’m pretty excited about.
I love this job and am pretty excited about investing too. Thanks for leading the way, I’d love to make some connections and continue to learn.
Rental Property Investor · Danville, VA · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 13 votes
6y
@Hud Floyd I've been a Police Officer for the city of Danville Virginia for over 3 years now. I recently fell in love with Real Estate investing and my wife and I now own a Real Estate investment business, Neighborly Estates LLC. We currently own 3 SFH and are looking to expand tremendously. I have a great respect for ALL first responders and thank each and every one of you for your service!
Real Estate Agent · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 27 votes
6y
Hello everyone! I am a FF/EMT volunteer fire and ambulance with the Hiawatha Fire Department in Iowa. I also go out on wildfires as a federal AD hire. I have done a couple deals and currently house hack a 3 Plex. I got my real estate license this year and am looking forward to growing!
It is great to see other people in public service who are also interested in REI and all it has to offer!
Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
6y
Hi Carl. I have associates in Virginia. Might be able to set up a connection if you've interest. Sounds like your daughter is an amazing kid, volunteering at 16!