Firefighters and First Responders in Multifamily

Firefighters and First Responders in Multifamily

Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes

Any other firefighters and first responders out there in real estate investment?  I work for Los Angeles County Fire Department as a firefighter/paramedic in the West Hollywood area.  Currently invested in over 700 units of multifamily and always looking to connect with fellow first responders.

39Reply
1,351 views

Most Popular Reply

Brian BurkePro Member
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y

I’m a former first responder, 14 years in various roles.  Some as a police officer, some as a 911 dispatcher, some as a firefighter/EMT (FF-I, FF-II, then driver-operator on engine company and truck).  Even did a part-time stint with AMR on a BLS ambulance (I guess I get bored easily, LOL).  Fun times!

Then I decided to turn my side-gig of real estate investing into my full-time focus.  That was almost 20 years ago and while I really loved my former vocation, I’ve never looked back.  Since that time I’ve raised way over $100 million from investors and bought over a half a billion dollars of real estate.  Man, it seems like two completely different lives. 

The difference is I worked for a small city (less than 50K people) and you work for a REAL fire department—I grew up watching squad 51 and engine 51 on my tiny four-channel color TV, LOL.  You see more trauma in a 24 hour shift than I saw in a year.  

See this reply in the discussion

242 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hi Lance.  And now we have a few from Virginia.  I appreciate our law enforcement brothers and sisters as well.  Thanks for all you do.

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hi Nicholas. My great-grandmother Floyd was from Iowa.  My partner and I are starting to look at a few things in that area so may reach out some time for a your local knowledge.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd I work in the public safety software industry, and love the purpose and goal it serves.

  • Shelley LozierPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Sunrise, FL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    What's going fellow first responders? I am Captain/Paramedic with Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue (Florida). Been in the field for 22 years and now I cannot believe that I am contemplating retirement. Where did the time go? I am a licensed RE Broker and own a few residential rental properties in Florida. I recently purchased SFR in Memphis, TN as a rental. I would like to move up to the Multifamily side. So don't hesitate to share some tips and your experience. Any idea on the best way to get started in the Multifamily? Are you part of any Multifamily Club?

    Hope to connect with you all.

    Shelley Lozier

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hi Teresa.  My step-daughter and her family are moving to Chicago next week so I will be visiting that area in the near future.  Funny, I have other family in the area as well, Chicago and Naperville, and still have yet to visit.  Would love to hear more about public safety software.

  • Rental Property Investor · Garden Grove, CA · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd Hey there fellow county brotha(FS16). Just beginning my journey in REI . Would love to pick your brain on different topics. Stay safe brother.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd would love to discuss and chat more. I really do believe software analytics will be the future of public safety- with all the technology occurring - facial recognition capabilities, analytics, ai and cloud capabilities, technology is getting smarter

  • Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2018 · 244 posts · 140 votes
    6y

    Hey @Hud Floyd and everyone else in the post. I’m located in western Washington and work at Lacey FD as a PM/FF for the last 8 years. I have been in the service for a total of 10 years. I started investing about a year and a half ago and Currently we Have a few SFRs and some storage units. Looking to transition over to multi family this year. So cool to see so many first responders posting in this thread. Very exciting. 

  • Cameron SimperPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chehalis, WA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd. I am a Detective Sergeant for a Sheriff's Office here in Washington State. I currently have one SFR rental and looking to get in to multi-family.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd very cool to see so many first responders in this thread. Just wondering... what software capability would you all like to see be developed to help your daily jobs? Is there something that is really holding back the public safety industry?

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hi Shelley.  Great to hear from you.  I have a fellow coworker in the Tennessee market as well.  I have interest in that area as well for multifamily.  Very strong market.

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hey Aaron.  I'm at 8's.  My engineer I believe did his paramedic internship at 16's.  Look forward to connecting further.

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hey Justin.  Looks like we're getting a number of people from Washington on the thread!  Welcome.

  • Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    Hi Cameron.  I don't know where all of you from Washington are in relation to each other, but there might be a Meet Up group in the making!

  • Cameron SimperPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chehalis, WA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Justin Frank we work in the same neck of the woods. I’d love to connect.

  • Rental Property Investor · Maurice, LA · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Hello everyone, Awesome to see so many fire service/public service people into investing here. I have worked for a small rural city of 14k for 18yrs now.Current position is Captain but with a crew of only 12 men on a full shift we wear all the hats of the job each shift.We are the only career dept in our parish (county) with many small surrounding towns being all volunteer or 1-2 paid day guys. I am a real estate newbie just getting into the game education only at this point but working hard to get to the point of the first deal. Great to know the fire service brotherhood is solid here on BP. Look forward to networking with you all. Stay Safe!

  • Franklyn AbreuPro Member
    Investor · Monroe, NY · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd

    Hi I am currently a Sergeant in the NYPD and while we are very busy here I’ve been slowly trying to build my real estate portfolio. Currently own a duplex working on a triplex. It’s tough working the hours we work but real estate has become my passion. Great to hear stories from other first responders!

  • Rental Property Investor · Navarre, FL · Member since 2019 · 913 posts · 640 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd This is a great thread, thanks for starting it!

    I was a state police officer in Sydney, Australia for about 10 years. Now I live in St. Louis and fly EMS helicopters. I have 5 SFRs and 1 fourplex. Eager for the next! 

  • Investor · Pullman, WA · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Cop in WA star here., just over 10 years. Have two duplexes.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 88 posts · 55 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd Who hosted the multifamily conference? I'm a real estate investor in DFW. I would be interested in attending the next multifamily conference if they accept new investors.

  • New to Real Estate · Arlington, TX · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd hello I’m a police officer here in Texas. I am just starting in real estate. Right now I am reading; listening to podcast and watching YouTube videos on investing and hope one day I can go full time also.

  • Attorney · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd I’m a lieutenant for the FDNY. I have a condo that I rent out but it doesn’t really cash flow. Just a beginner here considering where to jump in.

  • New to Real Estate · Southwest Virginia · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    6y
    Hi Hud,

    Let me start by saying what a great post. It is interesting to see how many public safety personnel are into REI across the country. As a new person to REI, I am always looking to expand my network. So, Yes I would appreciate the assistance in making introductions for connections with people in Virginia. Thank you in advance. 

    To all the other people on this post, it is great to hear from you. Take care and be safe out there.

    Be Safe,
    C Moore
  • Rices Landing, PA · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Hud Floyd

    I was a volunteer firefighter for seven years before I moved out of the area. My goal is to move back to the area and rejoin the fire department. I miss going on runs, but it is nice have a little more time to focus on Real Estate. My wife and I have been doing Real Estate for five years now. We have two single-family homes and two duplexes. It is interesting to see all the first responders that are real estate investors.

    Thank you to all those that work so hard to keep us safe. 

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    Hello, I'm currently a LEO here in the Denver area and have been for almost 23 years. I'm currently looking to acquire some rentals. I can't wait to get things moving faster to help some of my friends out around here to show them how great property is.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.