Apartment Syndication Coach and Mentor

Apartment Syndication Coach and Mentor

Arn CenedellaPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes

There are numerous apartment syndication coaches and trainers out there. 

Many say they are the latest and greatest. It is difficult to separate fact from fiction. 

I would like to hear from BP members who successfully are doing and have done apartment syndication deals, what their experience with coaching and mentoring was like. 

Please share your experiences with me so I can select the best coach for me. 

This may be a discussion best done privately and outside the forum. 

Thank you,


Arn

1Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Alpharetta GA and Destin, FL · Member since 2020 · 68 posts · 55 votes
6y

@Arn Cenedella

Hi Arn, Good to connect. 

I actually just hired a syndication coach last year and I have had success with him already. If I can answer any questions, please let me know. I researched coaches for about 6 months and it kept going back to one guy. It's not easy work to find and fund deals but if you put in the work, you can be successful. 

My metrics for finding my coach was:

1. Small number of students so I can always talk to the coach at any moment.

2. Highly Analytical people

3. I also look at the achievements of the other students. Are they also very high achievers in their life?

Just a bit of background, both my wife and I are veterans(she was Air Force and I'm Army). I currently work at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta and I am very analytical by nature. Let me know if you would like to chat and hope I can help!

Respectfully,

Courtney Buck

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    I prefer "tried and true" over "latest and greatest" any day.   I would want a mentor that has negotiated several business cycles and dealt with all kinds of issues successfully. 

    I am blessed to have become a member of Lifestyles Unlimited.  They have been around 30 years and have 50,000 members. I joined for their single family education and their training turbo-charged our single family profits.  Multifamily was never really on my radar screen.  But, after 2 years of attending multifamily classes and talking with other members successful in apartment investing, we crossed over to multifamily and never looked back.

    Lifestyles literally has a curriculum of classes for multifamily investors developed from its collective experiences.  Its members must own hundreds of thousands of doors. 

    I'm currently invested in nearly 2000 doors and am the deal sponsor / syndicator of 2 apartments including a 272 unit that has 6 full time staff.

  • Investor · Alpharetta GA and Destin, FL · Member since 2020 · 68 posts · 55 votes
    6y

    @Arn Cenedella

    Hi Arn, Good to connect. 

    I actually just hired a syndication coach last year and I have had success with him already. If I can answer any questions, please let me know. I researched coaches for about 6 months and it kept going back to one guy. It's not easy work to find and fund deals but if you put in the work, you can be successful. 

    My metrics for finding my coach was:

    1. Small number of students so I can always talk to the coach at any moment.

    2. Highly Analytical people

    3. I also look at the achievements of the other students. Are they also very high achievers in their life?

    Just a bit of background, both my wife and I are veterans(she was Air Force and I'm Army). I currently work at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta and I am very analytical by nature. Let me know if you would like to chat and hope I can help!

    Respectfully,

    Courtney Buck

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    Arn, welcome to the 'east coast' :)  A link to my recent experience with Jake & Gino community: 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/432/topics/801569-just-another-question-on-coaching-20k-for-2-years?page=1#p4710909

    If you're interested, there is a monthly multifamily meetup in Greenville, first Monday evening of the month, good opportunity to speak in further detail about others' experiences too.  If you google "meetup.com mfin greenville" it should be the first google search result for more info and details.  Its run by Ben Jones and Ivan Jenkins.  With covid I believe next couple of months are online-only, and August will be the first in-person meetup.  Hope to see you at one of the in-person meetups!

  • Arn CenedellaPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Ryan Hogan


    thanks I will check out your link and the meetup. 

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW TX · Member since 2018 · 179 posts · 260 votes
    6y

    Hey @Arn Cenedella,

    Allow me to throw Brad Sumrok in to the mix:  https://bradsumrok.com/
    I've found great success with Brad and his network for many years.  I am a passive investor currently in 30+ deals. Brad has helped hundreds become sponsors and more become passives.  Over 75 have used him and his network to made $1M on MF RE.  The network has done about 60 deals the past two years. 

    Some of the above is always confusing. Deals are created by Brad's student becomeing sponsors, who invite folks to invest in those deals.  It is not Brad creating the deals and all the network.  Most every deal is 100+, some 300+, units. 

    Regards,

    Charles LeMaire 

  • Arn CenedellaPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Charles LeMaire

    I did watch an online weekend training from Brad. 

    Thank you for your response. 

    Arn

  • Arn CenedellaPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Ryan Hogan

    I think I found the meetup. 
    june 1 deep dive 49 units? 

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    @Arn Cenedella yes sir, you got it!

  • Real Estate Broker · Greer, SC · Member since 2013 · 548 posts · 271 votes
    6y

    I do it.  Done about 7 times.  A great way to learn and find deals and investors is to attend a marketing session.  We have one coming up on Thurday.  If you are intrested, contcat me.

  • Arn CenedellaPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jason Dillard

    Yes, please send me the 411.

    I am doing some other training the next two Thursday but after that I will participate. Pending time, I may be able to join this week or next.

    Thanks


    Arn

  • Real Estate Coach · Oakland, CA · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 91 votes
    6y

    @Arn Cenedella This is such a great question, and I'm glad you're looking into getting a coach or mentor so that you can hit the ground running and don't have to reinvent the wheel.

    Personally, I've been part of multiple training groups and mentoring programs and have found value from each of them. I'd be happy to further discuss my thoughts and feedback on each of them; just message me.

    I think it comes down to your personal goals, business goals, strengths and weaknesses, and what specifically you're looking for out of a coach or program.

    For example, if you are fairly comfortable with numbers and know that you want to focus on acquisitions and underwriting, you might look for a mentor that can help you further hone those skills. That way, you can bring that skill to the table when looking for potential partners.

    Alternatively, if you're strong in underwriting but want to be able to take down a deal on your own, you might look for a program that will help you with the areas where you're lacking, like raising capital. That way, you can continue to learn things on your own that come naturally to you (like underwriting, in this example), while having someone guide you through the areas where you have less experience.

    Hope that helps!

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Most of the "coaching" programs are glorified funnels to help attract "co-sponsors" who are positioned to help raise capital without a license and arguably violate the securities laws.  The best way to learn is to find a local sponsor who you can provide some type of value to and learn by doing.  Joel Block's syndication symposium is great background material in learning the capital raising process and really has a pretty good cast when he hosts the events.  

    If you're a broker learning to think like a sponsor is a mind-shift as is developing a track record and recognizing you're in the business of marketing yourself and your deal's securities and not property.  This becomes easier as you develop a track record and you can do that easier as a co-sponsor operating as an apprentice.  

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    You really have to look at what your needs and wants. 

    1. Do you want to be in a large program and get the bells and whistles of that or in the small program and get the 1 on 1 with the main guy/gal? There are a lot of programs that have the main person out as the face. That person hires coaches to be the mentors and do the 1 on 1 calls. The mentors are trained, but may or may not have experience depending on the program. You typically have little to no interaction with the face of the program. 

    2. Do you need help in specific areas or all areas? 

    3. What size properties are you looking to buy? 

    4. Are you looking for 1 on 1 or group? 

    Also, match up on personality with the coach. I find that having clients with similar values is very helpful. Some people like to sell the flash and sizzle, others focus more on how you can create a legacy and give back. Which one speaks to you? 

  • Arn CenedellaPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Todd Dexheimer

    Those are all great questions - ones I am trying to sort thru now. 

    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. 

    Arn

  • Rental Property Investor · York County, ME · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    5y

  • Rental Property Investor · York County, ME · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Arn Cenedella:

    There are numerous apartment syndication coaches and trainers out there. 

    Many say they are the latest and greatest. It is difficult to separate fact from fiction. 

    I would like to hear from BP members who successfully are doing and have done apartment syndication deals, what their experience with coaching and mentoring was like. 

    Please share your experiences with me so I can select the best coach for me. 

    This may be a discussion best done privately and outside the forum. 

    Thank you,


    Arn

    Arn, I’m looking for a syndication coach as well. Do you mind if I PM you directly to see where you are in your journey?  Thanks, Jeff Verreault 

  • Arn CenedellaPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Jeff Verreault

    Sure, happy to discuss various programs with you.

    I am been very happy with the one I choose months ago but am now looking for another to expand my knowledge and business in different aspects of the syndication business.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    Arn, let me know what you decide. I'm in Charleston and looking for the same thing!

  • Arn CenedellaPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Ian Checketts

    Let’s talk and I can find out what your goals and interests are and then can provide more specific insight. 

  • Danny RandazzoPro Member
    Apartment Syndicator · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 973 posts · 728 votes
    5y

    @Ian Checketts let me know if I can help or @Russ Scheider might be helpful too

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    5y

    If anyone wants feedback on coaching programs, let me know. I work with a few different coaches. 😬

  • Rental Property Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Danny Randazzo I'll reach out, let me take you to lunch sometime!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2013 · 547 posts · 235 votes
    5y

    @Danny Randazzo

    @Ian Checketts happy to help you connect with the best of the best.

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    @Justin Goodin this post is a few months old but the topic always comes back around! Do you mind if I DM you about a few programs. Looking at several now but would really appreciate some insight.

  • Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 691 votes
    5y

    Hey Arn!

    I am in the Think Multifamily group with Mark and Tamiel Kenney. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the group- I have had a great experience so far! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.