Jacob Stan
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Votes |
House Hacking in Michigan Macomb/Oakland County - Down payment

Jacob Stan
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Posted Oct 26 2020, 06:01

Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first property. I graduated college almost 2 years ago and have always planned on purchasing at least my first multi-family property with around 10% down. This would be my first ever home purchase, and I would use 1 of 4 units as my primary residence. I currently have 15% to put down on a purchase and enough cash for at least 4 months of "emergencies". 

I have recently been told that I do not qualify for any loan at less than 20% down. Supposedly in Macomb and Oakland county the buyer must make below the counties gross median income to qualify for a loan at less than 20% for any multi-family property. This is supposedly true for even duplexes. I've always thought that as long as I'm looking for a property with less than 5 units then the property is typically not considered commercial. 

Have I been given wrong information? Is there any way to secure a loan, other than through a private lender, for less than 20% down in Macomb and Oakland county when purchasing a multi-family property I plan to live in? 

Loading replies...