Cash Flow vs. Equity

Cash Flow vs. Equity

San Diego · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 20 votes

Hello BiggerPockets family!

My partner and I are beginning our real estate investing journey! We've been listening to endless podcasts, reading a lot of the BP books, and perusing the BP forums and blogs as much as we can to make the best decisions and educate ourselves the best we can. First and foremost, I want to thank each and every one of you for welcoming us into this community; it is truly amazing to see everybody supporting and lifting each other up we feel so lucky to be apart of it.

My question today is about cash flow vs building up equity to open more doors. We plan on using the Buy and Hold strategy for multi family properties and are looking to invest OOS (we live in San Diego and not sure we can afford to break into this market quite yet as beginners). Big picture - we want to build our portfolio sooner rather than later and I am just wondering what would help us achieve that goal of adding more doors quicker, focusing on cash flow or focusing on building our equity? We are lucky enough that we are not in need of big cash flow, although it would obviously be nice. We have identified several markets we believe look very promising based on the 6 areas we learned about from a BP blog post (job creation, population growth, buildings coming to market, government planning, affordability, and absorption/vacancy rates) and are looking to purchase our first property within 90 days. Or maybe we are being to nitpicky and getting into our first property is more important than looking at these aspects and learning by doing haha.

Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to help us out and we look forward to being apart of this great community!

4Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Twana RasoulBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

Similar to buying stocks, when you go to a financial advisor and you are starting out and have time, they put your money into growth stocks...when you are older and need cashflow for your bills...its maybe stocks that pay dividends.  So if you want to become wealthy you will do so through appreciation.  

As far as number of doors, I think that number is meaningless.  Someone can have 30 doors in the Midwest that would be equivalent to having a 4plex in San Francisco, Los Angeles or San Diego.  Also, more doors equal to more expenses, such as having 10 single family homes with 10 roofs vs 10 units under 1 or 2 roofs.

Appreciation is not speculation in my opinion especially in a market where you can show decades of appreciation due to macro-economics, supply/demand and inflation.  

If you ask any long term buy and hold investor in San Diego, they don't feel like they are speculating on appreciation in the long term, especially those that have owned here for decades will have proof of their investments not being speculation....those that say cashflow is not speculation and haven't received rent in months.....is assuming a tenant is going to pay rent speculation? I'll let you answer that for yourself.


Long story long, San Diego is a great market for long term appreciation and building wealth and it is actually one of the better cashflow markets in the long term as well, just not as much initially.

Welcome to the community :)

See this reply in the discussion

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 135 posts · 145 votes
    5y

    @Charles Masten my opinion is that when you're just getting started it best to focus on cash flow. Cash flow is real money in your pocket today that you can use to grow your portfolio quickly. You can't tap-in to equity without refinancing, HELOC, or selling. If you buy houses that cash flow well in a market with strong fundamentals you are most likely going to see some appreciation anyways, so it's the best of both worlds.

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    It doesn't have to be one or the other. You can buy value-add deals where you can force appreciation to capture the equity gain and still cash flow once it's stabilized. If you don't want to deal with rehab or repositioning a property then you can still look for markets that have strong cash flow and also have good appreciation so you still get the best of both worlds. Ultimately it depends on your goals but achieving both is definitely doable!

  • Twana RasoulBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Similar to buying stocks, when you go to a financial advisor and you are starting out and have time, they put your money into growth stocks...when you are older and need cashflow for your bills...its maybe stocks that pay dividends.  So if you want to become wealthy you will do so through appreciation.  

    As far as number of doors, I think that number is meaningless.  Someone can have 30 doors in the Midwest that would be equivalent to having a 4plex in San Francisco, Los Angeles or San Diego.  Also, more doors equal to more expenses, such as having 10 single family homes with 10 roofs vs 10 units under 1 or 2 roofs.

    Appreciation is not speculation in my opinion especially in a market where you can show decades of appreciation due to macro-economics, supply/demand and inflation.  

    If you ask any long term buy and hold investor in San Diego, they don't feel like they are speculating on appreciation in the long term, especially those that have owned here for decades will have proof of their investments not being speculation....those that say cashflow is not speculation and haven't received rent in months.....is assuming a tenant is going to pay rent speculation? I'll let you answer that for yourself.


    Long story long, San Diego is a great market for long term appreciation and building wealth and it is actually one of the better cashflow markets in the long term as well, just not as much initially.

    Welcome to the community :)

  • Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Usually who are in the early stages are more focused on the cash flow but it all depends on the deal at the end of the day. If you find yourself looking at a solid equity deal that might change your strategty. @Charles Masten

  • San Diego · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    @Tesho Akindele I see! I need to stop looking at one or the other and begin to look at both being equally important. With good cash flow, the equity will come with time. Thank you so much for your response!

  • San Diego · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    @Brian Garrett I see I've been looking at it totally wrong, I thought focusing on one could help us scale faster and ultimately grow that portfolio quicker. Thank you for opening my eyes that both are doable! Appreciate your help :D

  • San Diego · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    @Twana Rasoul thank you so much for taking the time to reply! Appreciate your insight! You're right, more doors/roofs is a double edged sword and I should be looking at both equity and cash flow being equally attainable. I thought areas such as San Diego, San Francisco, and LA were closed off to us due to how much it costs to get into the market here but I think I need to start taking a deeper dive into my own backyard! All of you who have responded are rock stars thank you!

  • San Diego · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    @Brandon Goldsmith definitely! I think being flexible with our strategy and focusing on the type of deal we are looking at is such great advice! Thank you for your insight it means a lot! I'll have to get together with my partner and analyze a few different deals and see which deal works best for which strategy. Cheers to you! :D 

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Total profits include both cash flow and appreciation as if you were going to sell YOY. These are not magically seperated for the accounting in terms of bottom line. For most it is circumstantial and mostly exact location based. Good news is SD is strong for those exact location circumstances. 

    Good luck!

  • San Diego · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    @Matt R. I hear you. Rookie mistake by me trying to separate the two, but thats why I'm here! I think we looked at our budget and completely threw out looking in our own backyard due to how expensive it is, but now I think we need to look at creative ways to try and get into the market through various was of financing that works with our budget and fits our criteria. Thank you so much for your input, appreciate you! 

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Charles Masten:

    @Matt R. I hear you. Rookie mistake by me trying to separate the two, but thats why I'm here! I think we looked at our budget and completely threw out looking in our own backyard due to how expensive it is, but now I think we need to look at creative ways to try and get into the market through various was of financing that works with our budget and fits our criteria. Thank you so much for your input, appreciate you! 

    I think it is a veteran mistake too. Right now you could throw a dart in many areas and be ok. I know from second hand SD is easy to manage compared to some other options and maybe consider this management part of the equation as much as any other hurdle at this time. Good luck!

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 433 posts · 743 votes
    5y

    Probably the best option here is to find distressed properties and force the equity into them, where you'll still cash flow at the end. You could do that either by flipping and holding the property (BRRRR), you could acquire an under market multi family and raise the rent, or both.

    Once you’ve stabilized you can refinance the property and do it again. You’ll capture the equity you’re looking for and still have your cash flow.

  • Danny RandazzoPro Member
    Apartment Syndicator · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 973 posts · 728 votes
    5y

    @Charles Masten if you don’t need the cash flow then focus on creating equity so you can refi properties to get your capital out and acquire another deal. You should also consider partnering with others to grow the portfolio faster.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Charles Masten, as mentioned, you can have both, and should look for both.  I agree appreciation will often times outpace cash flow in overall returns.  BUT, if you are not cash flowing, you are sinking money into the deal each month HOPING to one day sell and recoup your losses. 

    Additionally, when you get into larger scale properties, your income, and therefore cash flow will be used to value the asset.  So, even the equity play is directly correlated to cash flow.  I do acknowledge that cap rates move, and those movements are typically in line with interest rates, which also influence demand.

    If you are talking smaller multi-family, the appreciation is more driven by interest rates, just like single family properties.  People can afford more on the same income when rates are less than 3% and therefore you have more buyers, more demand, and higher prices.

  • San Diego · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    @Tucker Cummings what a great idea! Currently finishing up reading Long Distance Real Estate Investing by David Greene and have his BRRRR book slated next. Definitely like the strategy and want to dive deeper into it, looks like a great way to build both! Thank you so much for your time!

  • San Diego · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    @Danny Randazzo gives me something to think about thank you so much for responding! Currently have one partner, but for markets that are much more expensive to get into such as San Francisco, San Diego, and LA; how many partners do you think are too many? For example if I could get 4 like minded individuals who all live in the same area with the same REI goals to go in on a property in one of those areas, is it still a good investment? Splitting 4 ways is not ideal and can come with more risk, but with much higher cash flow and appreciation in areas like those is it worth it in the long run?

  • San Diego · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    @Evan Polaski wow that really puts the big picture into perspective with how different sized properties appreciate. My partner and I are looking for properties that will cash flow at least $200 a month (among other things of course) but keeping an eye on the interest rates is not something I had in mind. Thank you so much for your insight that is really helpful!

  • Investor · Saint Johns · Member since 2021 · 34 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    I don't think you'll get much cash flow from the San Diego market, unless you go to more remote places like Ramona, or rehab/flip distress house. I have properties from 2010 prices, and the CoC return still isn't that great after all these years.

    But since you don't need the cash flow, it's should be a good place to build equity, as I think the appreciation will continue over the long term.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 80 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    @Chris Ng

    That is interesting...All the properties I purchaesd in San Diego cash flow very well. (I only charge below market rate rent btw....) I purchased those triplex in City Heights from late 2015 to mid 2018. I would think any investment properties purchased in 2010 can cash flow.....unless you have only purchased luxury houses in 2010 but those should not be considered as investment properties anyways.....

  • Investor · Saint Johns · Member since 2021 · 34 posts · 16 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Wai Chan:

    @Chris Ng

    That is interesting...All the properties I purchaesd in San Diego cash flow very well. (I only charge below market rate rent btw....) I purchased those triplex in City Heights from late 2015 to mid 2018. I would think any investment properties purchased in 2010 can cash flow.....unless you have only purchased luxury houses in 2010 but those should not be considered as investment properties anyways.....

    My properties do have cash flow, but they are relatively low. Using 2010 prices, it's only about 6%, and much lower with today's market value. On the bright side, I have very little vacancies. 

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chris Ng:
    Originally posted by @Wai Chan:

    @Chris Ng

    That is interesting...All the properties I purchaesd in San Diego cash flow very well. (I only charge below market rate rent btw....) I purchased those triplex in City Heights from late 2015 to mid 2018. I would think any investment properties purchased in 2010 can cash flow.....unless you have only purchased luxury houses in 2010 but those should not be considered as investment properties anyways.....

    My properties do have cash flow, but they are relatively low. Using 2010 prices, it's only about 6%, and much lower with today's market value. On the bright side, I have very little vacancies. 

     I find it shocking that you do not have huge cash flow on properties purchased in 2010.  Average rent has increased 53.6% between Jan 2010 and Dec 2019.  It went up almost $600 per unit.   I have cash out refinanced everyone of our properties in December and using a 40% expense ratio we still have significant cash flow.  It was significantly higher prior to the cash out refinance. 

    https://www.sandiegouniontribu...

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Charles Masten I generally echo what Twana and Matt have offered you, though I would add one thing: especially when you're starting out, you want to make sure you can get attractive FNMA financing on your first properties.  Make sure that property #1 and property #2 still allow you to get FNMA financed for properties #3 and #4.  This can mean prioritizing cash flow to help your DTI.

    If your non-REI income is high enough, or once you've got a track record, there's really no reason to focus on anything other than total return if you're trying to build wealth.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 80 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    Originally posted by @Chris Ng:
    Originally posted by @Wai Chan:

    @Chris Ng

    That is interesting...All the properties I purchaesd in San Diego cash flow very well. (I only charge below market rate rent btw....) I purchased those triplex in City Heights from late 2015 to mid 2018. I would think any investment properties purchased in 2010 can cash flow.....unless you have only purchased luxury houses in 2010 but those should not be considered as investment properties anyways.....

    My properties do have cash flow, but they are relatively low. Using 2010 prices, it's only about 6%, and much lower with today's market value. On the bright side, I have very little vacancies. 

    Yes that's right. That's the beauty of the San Diego market. I also has almost zero vacancy (maybe a 2-3 weeks because of the make ready time) for the past 5 years. 6% is not great but it's not bad either especially you get a huge amount of appreciation for the past 10 years (i would assum you already have at least 80 or 100% appreciation....) 

    I also have some properties in DFW area but if I would do it again 5 years ago I will buy a few 2-4 units in San Diego vs 8 SFRs out of state....

  • Investor · Saint Johns · Member since 2021 · 34 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Dan H. Depends on what you mean by "huge". Like I said 6% based on 2010 prices... and about 2-3% at today's market value. I should be able to get significantly higher return moving to another market, which I'm seriously considering right now.

    On the other hand, I wasn't quite active in those properties. Perhaps if I spent some capital improving those units, they would cash flow higher. I live quite close to Poway, BTW (RB). Good to see people nearby here.

  • Investor · Saint Johns · Member since 2021 · 34 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Wai Chan Well, 6% is based on 2010 prices, with today's value it's about 2-3%. I did have quite a bit of gain. My current goal is higher cash flow. Good thing there is the 1031 exchange, so I can defer taxes on those gain, and hopefully move to another market with higher cash flow.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.