SB9 for property in California

SB9 for property in California

Paul DashevskyPro Member
Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 152 posts · 60 votes

Has anyone used SB9 yet to plan a lot split, a second home on a lot, create a duplex or anything else? How challenging was the process?

1Reply
165 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 1 vote
4y

Hi Paul,  As of last month I was informed by Los Angeles city planning that no complete application for an urban lot split under SB9 had even been submitted yet.  This could have changed in the last few weeks and is only for Los Angeles county.  I have seen a few developers use SB9 for adding to their existing lot but not the lot split via SB9.  

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Hi Paul,  As of last month I was informed by Los Angeles city planning that no complete application for an urban lot split under SB9 had even been submitted yet.  This could have changed in the last few weeks and is only for Los Angeles county.  I have seen a few developers use SB9 for adding to their existing lot but not the lot split via SB9.  

  • Paul DashevskyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 152 posts · 60 votes
    4y

    @Alexander O. Thanks for the feedback. Are you guys planning on using SB9 for any of your projects...or just to early?

  • Lender · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    To echo @Alexander O., few of our clients have gone through SB9 for the unit add-on within LA county, but I haven't seen anyone do it for the lot split. Seeing it down south and in Easy/South Bay in NorCal. 

    Where's in CA?

  • Investor · Richmond, CA · Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Hi Paul,

    I'm working on an SB-9 lot split project at my house in Richmond (East Bay). I just submitted a conceptual plan to the City and they agreed to do a feasibility analysis to see if SB-9 will work for my parcel. I may have to get a variance for the existing dwelling unit's parking requirement, but I believe I meet all the SB-9 requirements. They told me they have a few SB-9 applications in process and expect it to take 3-4 months (ADUs they're deciding within 30 days). If a variance is needed, they're estimating 3-6 months, up to a year potentially. I'll be happy to share my experience.

  • Richmond, CA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Hi Max,

    I'm also in the East Bay.  Would love to learn how the rest of your SB-9 process went.  Thank you in advance.

  • Investor · San Jose · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Hi Max, I am also planning to use SB9 for the lot split. I am in the south bay. It would be very helpful if you could share your experience. Thank you very much!

  • Azusa, CA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Max Fefer:

    Hi Paul,

    I'm working on an SB-9 lot split project at my house in Richmond (East Bay). I just submitted a conceptual plan to the City and they agreed to do a feasibility analysis to see if SB-9 will work for my parcel. I may have to get a variance for the existing dwelling unit's parking requirement, but I believe I meet all the SB-9 requirements. They told me they have a few SB-9 applications in process and expect it to take 3-4 months (ADUs they're deciding within 30 days). If a variance is needed, they're estimating 3-6 months, up to a year potentially. I'll be happy to share my experience.

    Would like to learn about the sb9 lot split as well since I am hearing that ADUs aren’t getting appraised for it’s value.
  • Member since 2022 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    Hi @Max Fefer

    How was your experience with the SB9 lot split? Did it go through?

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Hey Everyone, I have more than 20+ SB9 lot splits going on. More than happy to share intel. Feel free to shoot me a message. 

  • Paul DashevskyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 152 posts · 60 votes
    2y

    @Kevin Kretzmer what part of California are you working in? Are you doing lot split or 2-unit developments? thx!

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y

    Following - I'm based in California

  • Paul DashevskyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 152 posts · 60 votes
    2y

    Hey Folks-

    Just got a permit approved for an SB9 two-unit development (duplex) AND an ADU on a property in Los Angeles. Starting construction next month. Reach out if you want more info or guidance.

  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 622 votes
    2y

    I'm a contractor and just did a bid on an SB9 project in Los Angeles County - Altadena area (building permit jurisdiction). It took the owner over 2 years but he has the permits now. It's still so new but regardless, every building department in every city is completely incompetent in their timing for permits.  It's really slow.  I will say, what this guy will do with the lot split and building a 2300 sq ft home is pretty cool.

  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    I am working on an SB 9 here in Santa Clara County.  We would split the lot off and sell it.  Just curious if you can sell the lot after approval by the city and recorded with the county or do you have to wait for APN's to be issued?  Getting APN's can take a while.

  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    Curious how long would a lot split take in Los Angeles (city). Anyone know?

  • Investor · San Jose · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Doug Hall:

    I am working on an SB 9 here in Santa Clara County.  We would split the lot off and sell it.  Just curious if you can sell the lot after approval by the city and recorded with the county or do you have to wait for APN's to be issued?  Getting APN's can take a while.


     Are you doing it by yourself or using a third party? Mind if I DM you?

  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Hello Navnidhi, I have managed it myself with the help of some local people experienced in these types of projects.  The surveyors and engineers have been helpful.  Feel free to DM me.

    ~Doug

  • Paul DashevskyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 152 posts · 60 votes
    1y

    Just finished my SB9 and ADU project in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley). My original SFR was 1100sf and I added 2 units: an 800sf SB9 unit and a 750sf ADU (converted garage plus addition). Both units are 2 bedroom and 1 bath. (FYI - this was an SB9 "two unit development, not an SB9 lot split). All three units are long term rentals.

    Reach out if you need a good architect or contractor for your projects (anywhere in SoCal or NorCal).

    ADU Los AngelesSB9 unitSB9 Los AngelesSB9 California
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Paul Dashevsky:

    Just finished my SB9 and ADU project in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley). My original SFR was 1100sf and I added 2 units: an 800sf SB9 unit and a 750sf ADU (converted garage plus addition). Both units are 2 bedroom and 1 bath. (FYI - this was an SB9 "two unit development, not an SB9 lot split). All three units are long term rentals.

    Reach out if you need a good architect or contractor for your projects (anywhere in SoCal or NorCal).

    ADU Los AngelesSB9 unitSB9 Los AngelesSB9 California

     What was your reason for not going for the lot split?   I am considering going for a lot split, but there seems to be no one in my jurisdiction (Poway) that has done one.  

    Congrats on completing your effort.  

  • Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 15 votes
    1y

    @Paul Dashevsky Hi! I have a property in the SFV that I’d like to consider SB9 with. 

    I live in the front house and we have a guesthouse in the back that I was short term renting. The city recently came and is requiring me to bring it up to code. That guesthouse has been here since the 50’ as it’s on record, but has no permits or CofO  

    If I permit it as an ADU, I can no longer short term rent it. It was a good moneymaker for me and I would love to continue short term renting. Do you know if I go the SB9 route, might I still be able to STR? Or does LA exclude that as well?

    You mentioned that you have an architect you recommend in this area?


    Thanks! 

  • Paul DashevskyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 152 posts · 60 votes
    1y

    @Joseph McCrillis

    I'll DM you the architect's info. Not sure about STR in LA. All my ADUs are long term rentals.

  • Member since 2024 · 29 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Starting a SB9 Lot split project in Los Angeles. Anybody know someone that has executed one?

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    1y

    Is there any way to divide a lot under SB9 without having to live on the property for 3 years as required by the current rules (at least in Riverside, CA)?

  • Paul DashevskyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 152 posts · 60 votes
    1y

    @Leah Miller My architect has done SB9 lot splits. DM for more info.

  • Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Hi Paul, I am a project manager in commercial architecture and am a newbie multifamily investor in Los Angeles as well. I am looking to partner with someone on my next residential investment. I have some equity in my first deal and want to develop a 4 plex instead of buying an existing 4 plex with tenants. I prefer to buy/hold for long-term rentals. Feel free to DM if you are interested in chatting further. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.