Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes

Adding a small SFH to R2 Property in Los Angeles

Jackson Abbeduto
Posted Dec 6 2022, 18:13

Hi all -

I currently have a SFH in Los Angeles, zoned as R2 (multi-family residential). The lot size is ~4600 sq ft. I live in the main house and have a small ADU (garage conversion) in the back that is rented out. I would like to take advantage of the zoning to build another structure on the property - whether that is a SFH or an ADU, I don't really mind.

My understanding of LA zoning is that I can only have one ADU and one junior ADU per dwelling on the property. For this reason, I contacted the city planning department regarding building another (small) SFH on the property. They responded by noting that for R2 properties, 2500 of sq feet is required for each SFH on the property, meaning my current SFH is all that can be built. As such, I don't understand what practically separates my R2 from an R1 property if I can't do anything with it. Additionally, I have seen other properties on lots less than 5000 sq feet with duplexes. Perhaps there is an easy way to get an exception, as I am only 400 feet away.

Posting here looking for creative ideas to build another small unit on my property, regardless of whether it's an ADU or SFH. Thanks all!

Loading replies...