Patricia Urcuyo
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Newbie New Build for STR Questions

Patricia Urcuyo
  • Memphis, TN
Posted May 10 2023, 13:23

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. For context, I still consider myself a newbie but have had a couple rentals, done an EASY DIY flip, and now have a 2 airbnbs that do well in Baton Rouge, LA. I've now purchased a double-lot in the same area close to LSU with the plans of building two triplexes for STR (MTR/LTR flexible depending on market conditions). We will build in stages, starting with one lot then the other and we are funding the project with cash from family (yes, I am giving them a return). The buildings each will be total 3,500-4,000 living sqft w/ attached 2 car garage, and 3 additionaloutdoor parking spaces on each lot behind the building.

This will be the first time I embark on a new-build and while I have a GC that is mentoring me through the process (he built the home we currently live in, but years before we met him), I want to make sure I'm doing my due diligence. I'm wondering if experienced individuals would be willing to chime in on a couple of points:

1. We won't be running this project through the GC's company books. The GC (wonderful man and well respected in the community) typically does much larger residential and commercial developments now, but we've developed a very good rapport. The agreement is that he will mentor me through the custom build process, he coordinates his subs and I will pay them directly when they are done with the work. The GC also coached me that although I'm not working with a bank, we will still pull permits, require inspections at the different stages, and do everything by the book. I have the proper permits/insurance in place for this stage already. Currently, we are finalizing the floorplan with an architect so that we can move forward to pricing the project build with the GC. At that point I'm expecting to put a contract together with the GC. Are there any pitfalls I should consider with this type of working relationship? Anything I should ask about in specific? Are there any potential drawbacks? I will say this gentleman has mentored me through purchasing the property, demolition, pulling permits, architecture, and other aspects so far. He's invested a lot of time already so I'm not questioning his commitment or intentions, but as always...CYOA.

2. Considering the above, what is the range for GC fees? He estimated his fee would be total construction cost x 13.5%. Is this within industry average? I would be paying him in stages of project completion with 20% held until project completion. I just want to make sure that it's still a fair rate with me contributing a good amount of leg-work and paying vendors directly.

3. It seems like I will be responsible for selecting finishes/fixtures. Any advice on how to organize myself to tackle this? Are there any resources, guides, books, websites, etc. that I can use to help me through the process? The GC doesn't seem like he will be providing much guidance on it, just sending me to 'his people' at pro-source and 'his cabinet guy' etc. I'll be designing for mid/upscale rental.

Thank you for sticking around to read this and any advice in advance!
Patricia

Loading replies...