Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 3 votes
I’m exploring the idea of building a small cluster of short-term rental cabins on a specific parcel of undeveloped land (Northeast / Catskills-type context).
I'm comfortable with the STR side, but I'm intentionally slowing down on the land and build assumptions before moving forward. Beyond zoning and obvious utilities, I'm curious what others here look at early that materially impacts cost, operations, or long-term viability.
For those who've built STR cabins from raw or semi-raw land:
– What land issues surprised you most later?
– What do you wish you had evaluated earlier?
– Anything that turned out to matter more than expected (access, slope, siting, maintenance, neighbors, etc.)?
Not looking for deal analysis — more interested in lessons learned before committing. Appreciate any insights.
Title Representative · Irvine, CA · Member since 2017 · 874 posts · 519 votes
9mo
Environmental: the jurisdiction may have you study and mitigate any impact the project has on the site as far as trees/plants, species, etc. For example, near Joshua Tree National Park they often requite that someone does a desert tortoise study/survey. Or if there is a wash, it may be considered what the Army Core classifies as a "blue line" and you can't build on it or too close.
Fees: most jurisdictions (cities, counties, et al) have multiple fees associated with new development. Sometimes it's higher than what you would guess, so try to ascertain those from the city, public works, the utility companies, etc.
Hopefully, you can find a good GC who has built in that specific area and has seen where others have stubbed their toes.
Title Representative · Irvine, CA · Member since 2017 · 874 posts · 519 votes
9mo
Environmental: the jurisdiction may have you study and mitigate any impact the project has on the site as far as trees/plants, species, etc. For example, near Joshua Tree National Park they often requite that someone does a desert tortoise study/survey. Or if there is a wash, it may be considered what the Army Core classifies as a "blue line" and you can't build on it or too close.
Fees: most jurisdictions (cities, counties, et al) have multiple fees associated with new development. Sometimes it's higher than what you would guess, so try to ascertain those from the city, public works, the utility companies, etc.
Hopefully, you can find a good GC who has built in that specific area and has seen where others have stubbed their toes.
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
9mo
You need to hire a local Civil Engineer to vet the land. Environmental is always number one as stated above. There are a lot of builders Upstate so land that is not bought by them usually has a few more hurdles to clear. Personally, when I look, I look for land that already has a means of entry (driveway or right of way) without an easement and I prefer homes nearby so I can assume that the septic and wells will be easy to put in jurisdictionally. You want to ask yourself on every piece of land you find, why did all of the more experienced investors pass on this parcel?
You need to hire a local Civil Engineer to vet the land. Environmental is always number one as stated above. There are a lot of builders Upstate so land that is not bought by them usually has a few more hurdles to clear. Personally, when I look, I look for land that already has a means of entry (driveway or right of way) without an easement and I prefer homes nearby so I can assume that the septic and wells will be easy to put in jurisdictionally. You want to ask yourself on every piece of land you find, why did all of the more experienced investors pass on this parcel?
Developer · San Antonio · Member since 2016 · 157 posts · 85 votes
9mo
1. Site grades, floodplain, and utilities would be at the top of the list that impact the cost of 'physical' improvements.
2. A title commitment and a survey to determine existing easements, actual ROW / property line boundaries, etc.
3. Knowing which jurisdictions will require reviews/approvals as this will determine the timeline for permitting. If it is just County, that's usually the simplest. If you have state agencies and environmental groups that need approval, you will want to understand the impact on the permitting timeline.
As someone else stated, a local civil engineer is a good place to start .