?? Freestanding tubs or Built in for Masters?

18 Replies

I like the tubs where they are freestanding but tiled in around them. 

Obviously this only works if you have the room for it. My inlaws have a similar set up with a tile shower by itself to the right. 

obviously depends on the room you have available. But it is kind of nice to have them separate. 

Ryan Dossey, Real Estate Agent in IN (#RB15001099)
800-347-9296

I like Jon Klaus's solution with the tub and shower combined in one wet area.  In FL, most would say one bath should have a tub, and the master can have an oversized Roman-type shower.

I love Jon's solution above (I remember saying that when he first posted it as well, last year)...

Carol says free-standing tubs are the big thing right now, so that's her vote...

Btw, she also said that a built-in wet-bar/coffee station off the master bedroom or bathroom is also trendy these days...

@J Scott Ok, it's time for Carol to set up a membership and get on here! I always appreciate her input. (Maybe there should be a family rate for membership)  There's a subdivision in Lake Forest at Baker Ranch, where one of the models is set up with a rooftop deck off the master, outfitted with refrigerator and coffee bar, so she's right! 

@Jon Klaus  that is a great solution too! I'm loving your finishes. Are those cabinets wall mounted? I want to see pics of the vanity!! 

@Karen Margrave  that tub is sexy. I don't see how you can go wrong with it.

@J Scott I love Carol's wine/coffee bar in the master idea. There is a HUGE problem with that concept though. If I have access to a bathroom, wine, and coffee in my bedroom, I can think of very few reasons to ever leave it.

Except for chocolate. I'd leave for chocolate.

Freestanding is the "in thing" right now and most designers, particularly in the modern and contemporary market, will tell you this. Regarding Jon's photo, the only negative thing buyers could say is regarding the difficulty getting in the void areas on each side to clean. AND that is the ONLY negative on that one!

Here is a stand alone I did in my CA ranch style $4M value estate: The old version was fully enclosed and my designer demanded to go this route, note the separate and large shower with bench seating, rain heads and wall jets.

Here is a rendering of my Beverly Hills master bath I am doing right now. Similar to Jon's, the shower is open to the tub so the tub and shower are behind the sliding glass doors enclosure and the tub is stand alone. The best part of doing this is that you can get the wall mounted plumbing fixtures which are all the modern rage today.

We do both depending on the design.  If we have enough room we'll do a free standing tub in the shower.  In this project we had a lot of breathing room.

In others we may be tighter and as such will have to use an integrated tub.  So again, depends on the market.  Personally I love the tub inside the shower.  I think it looks fantastic.

The higher-end new builds in my area (Fairfield County, CT) have free-standing tubs, plus separate glass shower (but I LOVE the tub-in-the-shower concept - great floor space saver!).  The tubs may reflect an Edwardian era or be very modern, but they're so sculptural and lovely - plus the sparkling "jewelry" of the fixtures make them special and desireable.

Originally posted by @J Scott:

I love Jon's solution above (I remember saying that when he first posted it as well, last year)...

Carol says free-standing tubs are the big thing right now, so that's her vote...

Btw, she also said that a built-in wet-bar/coffee station off the master bedroom or bathroom is also trendy these days...

We see the stand alone tubs a lot here in the new $800k plus homes but some builders still choose the ugly massive built-in Jacuzzi type tubs surrounded with that dated tile look.

The wet-bar/coffee station was my choice when we added 400q ft off the master as 'another' office for my wife. Our master bath is the next major rehab with a stand alone tub. The problem is the grandkids love the (20 yr old ugly) 4 man built-in jacuzzi tub.

I love freestanding tubs. I have to say, putting it in the shower enclosure looks a bit weird to me. For bathtub fans (like me!) the bath isn't so much a place to get clean- that's what the shower is for- it's a place to relax. So having the bath physically separate is a psychological plus.

Also, another thing I thought of is that a tub in an enclosure would be getting splattered during showers so it would require more cleaning attention. Probably not a practical concern really. How many people who can afford these bathrooms are cleaning them themselves anyway, lol?

IMO the tub inside the shower enclosure is very strange to me, but if it sold at lots of hundreds of thousands of dollars, then who am I to say what looks strange or not.

This post has been removed.

I guess the down fall of this set up is... if a person wants to sit in the bath for a long time, the shower is occupied, if someone else wants to use it.  I D K about others, but I would not  like people in the shower, if i was taking a bath.  I think there should be some kind of divider .  Some idea's; half wall , a sliding door /barrier. I personally think everything is cool with  the right ,sliding door.  I am not sure about the free standing tub ( curved) shower curtains)  I would think it would ruin the look of the setup. 

Thoughts?

We do freestanding tubs in modern and craftsman style homes.  Sales prices are from 525k-1.35 million in Charlotte, NC. Pics below