Evicting homeowners after an auction

8 Replies

Huge Thank You to Bigger Pockets... I have been on here for about 2 months... and I finally jumped in! I bought some properties at a Tax Deed Auction yesterday here in Oklahoma. (1 vacant lot, 2 houses - 1 vacant, 1 occupied.)

What is the best way to get the homeowners to leave? I will be pursuing a quiet title action. Do I just knock on the door and show them my Deed (copy of it) or bring a sheriff with me? 

Do I pay their moving expenses? If so, how much? The house cost $25,000 and looks good on the outside... not sure about the inside yet. I want to go there with my contractor (but of course not do any work on it until I get the quiet title action done. 

Do I pursue quiet title action first and then kick them out or kick them out while I am working on the title? 

What's the best way to go about things? Anyone have experience with this? 

Theresa Nicoletto MBA, JBT Property Solutions | [email protected] | 405‑548‑5678 | http://www.JBTPropertySolutions.com | OK Agent # 171956, CA Agent # 01878964

Originally posted by @Theresa Nicoletto :

Huge Thank You to Bigger Pockets... I have been on here for about 2 months... and I finally jumped in! I bought some properties at a Tax Deed Auction yesterday here in Oklahoma. (1 vacant lot, 2 houses - 1 vacant, 1 occupied.)

What is the best way to get the homeowners to leave? I will be pursuing a quiet title action. Do I just knock on the door and show them my Deed (copy of it) or bring a sheriff with me? 

Do I pay their moving expenses? If so, how much? The house cost $25,000 and looks good on the outside... not sure about the inside yet. I want to go there with my contractor (but of course not do any work on it until I get the quiet title action done. 

Do I pursue quiet title action first and then kick them out or kick them out while I am working on the title? 

What's the best way to go about things? Anyone have experience with this? 

Get a lawyer.  Right now.  You are about to get yourself in big trouble.

Also, you know that Oklahoma has a 2 year redemption period on tax sales, right?

you probably need to perfect title before you can evict.. but each state is different talk to an attorney well versed in tax sale issues.

cash for keys is always good lest you find your new purchase missing many items and they vandalise it before they leave.. which is very common when folks lose their homestead

Medium ksqoekox 400x400Jay Hinrichs, TurnKey-Reviews.com | Podcast Guest on Show #222

@Theresa Nicoletto

Get them out as fast as your state laws allow.  Evictions are not something to go tiptoeing around.  Do your research and find out how long it takes to get folks out.  Then show up at the door with deed, and title, in hand.

Ask nicely at first. They may be on their way out. But the most likely reality is that they are going to drag the process out as long as possible. This is one of those things in REI that isn't always pretty to watch.

If Oklahoma allows you to show up with a Sheriff and remove them immediately, do that.

oklahoma no longer has the 2 year redemption period.  the house is yours.  i have a lawyer you can call just shoot me a msg.

"Someone lost their home". As an investor/business owner you bought it. You dont want to jeopardize the property that you had bought. 

Be very nice when you approach them and see how you can solve their problem by having them move out as quickly as they can. "Bite the first bullet" and arrange for a movers and consider it a tax deduction on that property.

By the way, Congratulations on jumping in on RE market and buying the house !.

Medium untitled designPari Thiagasundaram, SA Note Funding Group | http://sanotefunding.com

Originally posted by @Rhett Tullis :

oklahoma no longer has the 2 year redemption period.  the house is yours.  i have a lawyer you can call just shoot me a msg.

There is a 2 year redemption period after the tax certificate sale.  There is no redemption period after the Tax resale.  There is not enough information in the original post for you to give the advice you just did.  Except the advice to contact a lawyer, which is very good advice.

lol @Richard C.

actually I did have enough info, I was at the deed sale and watched @Theresa Nicoletto

buy the houses (hope they turn out to be as good of deals as they looked to be) and I have spoken with several lawyers (that buy real estate themselves) in town about the process so I do have a bit of info but do not claim to be an expert in the field.