Newbie zoning / subdivision question

2 Replies

I have looking at a house on a large piece of land that I am thinking to sub-divide and build new homes on. I researched on this topic on BP for a while and there are a few questions I couldn't find answers for. 

So the land is about 1.2 ac and zoned R-4. The land is adjacent to lands zoned R-6 and R-8 on three sides. The existing house takes about 1/3 of the land to meet the setback requirements. Here are my questions:

• Since it's zoned R-4, theoretically I can subdivide the lot and build 3 three houses. Do the new lots have to be relatively equally sized or they can be any sizes as long as the setbacks and land coverage ratios are satisfied.
  • When calculating the land coverage ratio, is road and public area (walkways, playground, etc.) included? Or it's strictly the lot the house sit on?
  • How difficult (or easy) it is to get it re-zoned? Since this particular lot is next to R-6 and R-8 zoning, maybe it makes re-zoning a little easier?

I am planning to talk to the City's planning department and I want to be as prepared as possible. Any advice you can give will be appreciated.

it all depends on your local requirements . Talk to a local civil engineer that does subdivisions .

A visit to the city bldg dept. or Planning and Zoning should be worthwhile, too.  

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here