Finding Subs and Suppliers - Do you have a Builders Exchange or ?

Finding Subs and Suppliers - Do you have a Builders Exchange or ?

Karen MargraveBusiness Member
Moderator
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Being new to an area it's always a challenge finding subs and suppliers to get bids from etc. How do you find your subs and suppliers? Do you have a Builders Exchange in your area?  Do you use The Blue Book for Builders? Homeadvisor, Angies List, Google searches or ? 

When we lived in southern California and jobs could be spread out, and subs lived in other cities, I started putting a full set of our plans online to allow subs to go on, pull off what they needed and bid jobs. Do you do anything like that? 

1Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    8y

    You may pm me. Have a good referral for you in bend

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 167 posts · 127 votes
    8y

    I usually get the best referrals from other contractors, specifically trades that interact with each other like drywall and paint.  I don't know if that helps when starting from scratch....I also get trade referrals from suppliers - they know their customers well and can recommend the right person for the type of work you are doing (trade contractors are a good source to find the best suppliers as well.) . I also simply stop by projects in the neighborhood and speak with people working on the job, feel them out and see if they seem reputable, ask them if they are looking for more work.  This is a good strategy because you know that you have someone who works in your area and does your type of work (residential remodel, for example).  I've had some luck with Homeadvisor and even yelp for certain things.  This is a huge challenge in our market, hope this helps, good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.