Rental Kitchen Cabinets: Is it worth it to buy more expensive?

Rental Kitchen Cabinets: Is it worth it to buy more expensive?

Rental Property Investor · Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 224 posts · 169 votes

I am remodeling a small kitchen (70 SF) I have on a house I have under contract right now. The kitchen is old and dingy, and I wanted to change it out so that we can add a dishwasher to the space (there currently isn't one, which I know will hurt rents). I had budgeted about $4500 for the kitchen, but early bids have it closer to a $6500-$7000 project (which seems like a ton for such a small kitchen just to change cabinets, countertop, and buy refurbished appliances, but I could be wrong). We're also already about $6k over budget without factoring in anything over $4500 for the kitchen.

My property manager and his contractor have been trying to sell me on using nicer wood cabinets, which we could get for about $2800. I know we can get the cheap stock wood cabinets at Home Depot for closer to $1300. While obviously there is a difference in quality and lifespan, I wonder if it just makes more sense fiscally to buy the stock cabinets? It is a rental property after-all, and at that price I can basically buy those same cabinets twice for the same cost as the nicer ones. However, the contractor thinks it's a bad idea.

Anybody have any experience with cabinet decisions on rental properties? Does it pay to pay up or should I just take the immediate savings using the HD cabinets?

1Reply
617 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
8y

The cheap particle-board cabinets do wear out fast in tougher environments. They swell up when wet, and don't take heavy use as well. The drawer slides have plastic parts that break easily, and the doors go all wonky. Also the holes where screws and shelf supports go can get all loose and make parts wiggle. 

If you can, go take a look at the more expensive cabinets and their internal parts, and compare them to the cheap stuff. If they are both particle board with plastic parts inside, you're likely just being upsold. If its much more sturdy with real wood, all-metal parts, etc, I'd strongly consider it.  (At a reasonable price.. Those prices seem really high for me, but I keep close eye on everything and don't have any middlemen) 

If you do go with the cheap cabinets, put a layer of plywood down under the sink pipes to catch drips. That will be the first place to go. Also, I actually remove dishwashers (and disposals) from my rentals, as they do tend to cause a lot of problems with water leaks, plumbing issues and maintenance. 

See this reply in the discussion

55 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tallmadge, OH · Member since 2015 · 259 posts · 275 votes
    8y

    Is this a higher end rental property? That price seems quite high to me. Are you moving any plumbing? Although we have not used them yet, I’ve heard good things about RTA cabinets (you can find several dealers online). For our rental kitchens, we just make sure to get plywood frames (no particle board, as it will be destroyed when it gets wet). Most prices I have seen start around $1k-$1.2k for a standard 10x10 kitchen (not including assembly & install). You could also consider replacing some of the uppers with floating shelves to save some $$. 

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    The cheap particle-board cabinets do wear out fast in tougher environments. They swell up when wet, and don't take heavy use as well. The drawer slides have plastic parts that break easily, and the doors go all wonky. Also the holes where screws and shelf supports go can get all loose and make parts wiggle. 

    If you can, go take a look at the more expensive cabinets and their internal parts, and compare them to the cheap stuff. If they are both particle board with plastic parts inside, you're likely just being upsold. If its much more sturdy with real wood, all-metal parts, etc, I'd strongly consider it.  (At a reasonable price.. Those prices seem really high for me, but I keep close eye on everything and don't have any middlemen) 

    If you do go with the cheap cabinets, put a layer of plywood down under the sink pipes to catch drips. That will be the first place to go. Also, I actually remove dishwashers (and disposals) from my rentals, as they do tend to cause a lot of problems with water leaks, plumbing issues and maintenance. 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    I'd say the answer is highly dependant on your particular rental market, the location/area, the type of rental you're renovating, and how you're pricing it AKA what kind of renters you're trying to attract.  If its an "executive rental," then obviously you'll want to splurge on higher end finishes overall.  However, if this will have frequent turnover, such as a college rental, higher end cabinets may also be preferable.  Instead of having to replace particleboard boxes every after every other tenant, it may make sense to use cabs that can take more of a beating.

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 543 posts · 474 votes
    8y
    We use IKEA in our rentals. These are typically in A markets, so we pair them with granite countertops and new stainless appliances. They are inexpensive, easy to I stall, look great and have held up well for us.
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    I would spend more for plywood boxes, real wood drawers with dovetail or similar joinery, and for solid wood frames and doors (usually plywood or MDF inserts). I wouldn't spend more for a better species hardwood, say maple or cherry over oak. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 224 posts · 169 votes
    8y

    @Jen R. It's not a high end property, but it'll be a competitive one in a class B market ($1200-$1300 rent range).  We're not moving any plumbing, but we are going to add a dishwasher next to the sink since there currently isn't one. Is the $1100 you said you paid for RTA just for lowers or for uppers as well? What might be a typical range after install?

    @Mark S. I forgot about IKEA. Great idea. I will go this weekend.

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 543 posts · 474 votes
    8y
    You might want to put one of those plastic pans under the dishwasher. We do that in all our kitchen renovations
  • Investor · Ridgecrest, CA · Member since 2017 · 247 posts · 120 votes
    8y

    When I did my moms kitchen she bought the cheap home depot cabinets. To extend their lifespan I sealed every surface with polyurethane. That was about 10 years ago and they still look brand new.

  • Dan WeberBusiness Member
    Realtor · Portland, ME · Member since 2015 · 656 posts · 552 votes
    8y

    In a B class type of rental, I would absolutely suggest going with a nicer set of cabinets that will last for the length of more than one twelve month rental. With this being said, for a kitchen that small, I would suggest shopping around for less expensive cabinets than the $6500-$7000 you have been quoted. Go directly to cabinet and countertop providers to get quotes, not through your GC. Ask your GC how much he would charge you for labor on the install if you can provide the cabinets. There are a couple ways to do it but I would suggest going with a solid cabinet that will last, not the cheapest/poorest quality option.

  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    8y

    What @JD Martin said.

  • Real Estate Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    I would agree with most of the replies here.  I just renovated one of the kitchens in a multi I just purchased and we are now getting $300 more for the unit than the previous owner because we made quality upgrades.  I purchased cabinets (plywood boxes, real wood drawers with dovetail) from our local building supplier and had our GC install them for $500.  We did replace the upper cabinets with open shelves which help cut costs but look awesome.  All in, we replaced our cabinets for under $2K.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    how many linear feet of cabinets? I like the plywood boxes for duability and water resistence. You save the most by not getting specialty cabinets or dimensions.e.g. opening on both sides, special pullouts, pantries. Rta is better then lowes IMHO But everyone has thier preference.
  • Rental Property Investor · Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 224 posts · 169 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Colleen F.:
    how many linear feet of cabinets? I like the plywood boxes for duability and water resistence. You save the most by not getting specialty cabinets or dimensions.e.g. opening on both sides, special pullouts, pantries. Rta is better then lowes IMHO But everyone has thier preference.

     I don't know what the linear footage is. The kitchen as a whole is about 70 SF. Here are the specs my handyman drew up:

  • Investor · West Grove, PA · Member since 2013 · 74 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    ikea is garbage.

    Search for local dealers selling Wolf classic cabinetry in your area. The Saginaw series is their basic model that is built decently. That’s a small kitchen and shouldn’t break the bank.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    8y
    Dave Shellenberger I’ve installed wolf cabinets. Both the cabinet shop line and the Lowe’s exclusive line. Decent cabinets. Overpriced though. I’ve picked up built and installed hundreds of Ikea cabinet boxes. They are what they are. Easy to build easy to install, budget friendly cabinets. I’ve put them in low and and high end rentals. Garbage? Nope.
  • Contractor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 30 votes
    8y

    @Jason L. We've used Ikea for a couple kitchen remodels now. No complaints, durable, easy to clean. Once you've assembled one you've basically got the concept down for the rest. The Euro style hinges and slow-close hardware are great features as well. Sure, it's not as glamorous as custom made woodwork, but for what it is, it serves the purpose well. As @Jen R. mentioned, we also do open shelves instead of uppers. Opens the layout and saves on price - win, win.

    @Dave Shellenberger What happened to your cabinets?

  • Kingston, NY · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 138 votes
    8y
    Maybe greendemolitions.com has something in your area?
  • Rental Property Investor · Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 224 posts · 169 votes
    8y

    @Brian Reiner Do you have pictures of the kitchen where you use shelves? I'm buying this property long distance. It would help if I could show something to my handyman (I also can't assemble any cabinets for myself for obvious reasons).

  • Contractor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 30 votes
    8y

    @Jason L. The shelves are nothing more than 2x12 douglas fir ripped down sharp, sanded, and couple coats of poly urethane. These are 75 lb each rated brackets, more than sufficient.

  • Contractor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 30 votes
    8y

    @Jason L. There's also some photos of the other Ikea kitchen we did on my profile if that helps give you an idea.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    blow your budget?   I pass.

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Designer's opinion here: the kitchen has too many cabinets. The layout looks like condo-spec, ready for a family of five.

    I suggest higher quality cabinets and countertops, but less of them so cost is equalized. Going more MODERN will allow the minimalist approach to work.

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 339 votes
    8y

    We used RTA cabinets from JSI - plywood boxes and well constructed. Got them from Millwork City. Our kitchen was under $3000 for all new cabinets - we installed them ourselves.

  • Investor · Saskatchewan , Saskatchewan · Member since 2017 · 311 posts · 233 votes
    8y
    What’s your target audience? What’s your desired lifespan for these? Is this a multi unit building? I do suited houses, generally my tenants are in the last 3 years of undergrad or first 5 years of employment in a career. Ikea works (soft close is a great idea for multi unit buildings). I’ve also used pre assembled Lowe’s units that were less impressive. With my demographic, dovetail joinery makes zero sense. Adding a built in cutting board for them to grind stems on is a bigger selling point than any dovetail.
  • Rental Property Investor · Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 224 posts · 169 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    What’s your target audience? What’s your desired lifespan for these? Is this a multi unit building?

    I do suited houses, generally my tenants are in the last 3 years of undergrad or first 5 years of employment in a career. Ikea works (soft close is a great idea for multi unit buildings). I’ve also used pre assembled Lowe’s units that were less impressive. With my demographic, dovetail joinery makes zero sense. Adding a built in cutting board for them to grind stems on is a bigger selling point than any dovetail.

     It's part of a duplex in a class B neighborhood (it's really a main house with a separate mother-in-law suite). Nice but not high-end by any means. The full kitchen upgrade over just saving the old kitchen probably takes this from a standard $1100-$1150/month unit to above-average $1250-$1300/mo unit. However, the cost to save the old kitchen is likely $1000-$1500. To use the cabinets the handyman wants me to use and then to buy granite and appliances separately would cost about $7000 total. So $5500-6000 extra in rehab maybe gets an extra $150/month. That's why I'd like to get the materials down $1000 or so because otherwise it feels like it'll take too long to get my money back.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.