How to subdivide land?

9 Replies

I want to know how easy is it to subdivide land so I can build a SF new construction on the land. I’m using a hard money loan to finance the deal. The land already has one single family home on it but could easily fit two. Anybody have luck with this? We are in Atlanta, Ga.

Start with your local building and zoning dept., go down in person. They usually have someone that can give you the requirements for your particular property.....minim lot sizes, set back requirements, etc. If it looks feasible they can tell you the process to go through.

Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks :

Start with your local building and zoning dept., go down in person. They usually have someone that can give you the requirements for your particular property.....minim lot sizes, set back requirements, etc. If it looks feasible they can tell you the process to go through.

Agreed - it is usually very easy to set up an appointment with your local building department.  It's probably best to bring your architect/engineer along with you with any composite plans you may have drawn up so that the building department has an understanding of what you plan to do.  

This is very local.  Every city has different rules and different attitudes.  Here in Boise, splitting a lot is easy IF the lot meets all the specific criteria for size, setbacks, road frontage for both lots, etc. If your lot meets the criteria it is often just a procedure.  As others have said, look to your local planning department.

You mention using a hard money loan.  I would advise against that due to time constraints.  Even the easiest lot split will take time.  Time to understand the rules, time to get a surveyor and other specialties to provide the information you need to complete the split, then time to get appointments and on the agenda for the appropriate approval entity.  In my experience, hard money loans are best with quick flips and other shorter term deals.

One other avenue might be to get a variance and condo the two structures. One lot, 2 condos...at least I think thats what they do...but maybe it is just for splitting a duplex. If that is the case, get a variance to expand to a duplex and condo that. Adding on may be cheaper and require less onerous permitting.

How easy it is depends entirely on the municipality. It could as simple as an application and survey, or it could be a 3 year process with enough bureaucracy and paperwork to make congress look like kindergarten.

A good local engineering company would know this by just looking up the parcel.. I always start there then go to the city.

the engineer could look at it and say NOPE does not meet density or set backs or what have you and save you to trip to the city..

If you are in the city and not otp  , it can be very lengthy to get variances and zoning. The ordinances and procurement are very costly and time consuming. I would Suggest you find a permit courier to handle permits and procurement. It will be the best 180-500$ you will spend to getting your home out of the ground.