Concrete Roof Construction

6 Replies

Hello BP!

This question may be for engineers, contractors, or builders in general.

What are the considerations when constructing a concrete roof on an existing concrete structure (SFR)? It currently has a metal tin roof. I live on Guam and fully concrete homes are the norm. I was thinking about the investment potential of these types of properties as fixer uppers.

Barring any other issues, this would make the house conforming and bank financable. Thoughts?

Originally posted by @Josh Cuthbertson :

Are you talking about making the roof structure itself concrete? Or using concrete roofing tiles over another structure?

Hey Josh. Actual concrete, usually poured concrete is how it's done here.

Originally posted by @Kevyn Miyata :

@John T. Most municipalities would require structural engineering. And a Structural Engineer would likely want to beef up the foundation for the added load.

Thanks for the insight, Kevyn.  Would that mean an engineer would need to walk through for an estimate/inspection for me to determine if it's feasible?  What would you recommend? Thanks again.

@John T. The SE would need as-built drawings of how the structure was constructed. Concrete psi, rebar size and placement, and probably previous structural calculations would probably be needed too.

Your mileage may vary. But I'd start a conversation with a SE first.

Originally posted by @Kevyn Miyata :

@John T. The SE would need as-built drawings of how the structure was constructed. Concrete psi, rebar size and placement, and probably previous structural calculations would probably be needed too.

Your mileage may vary. But I'd start a conversation with a SE first.

Thanks a ton, Kevyn. This is very instructive. Appreciate the time.