Build beyond the maximum square footage?

Build beyond the maximum square footage?

San Jose, CA · Member since 2019 · 64 posts · 26 votes

I’m looking to build a custom home in the Bay Area. I have an amazing lot identified that I was ready to pull the trigger on. Unfortunately during my due diligence phase, I learned the maximum square footage allowed on this lot is 2400 sqft (including the garage). 7900 square foot lot, 30% max or 2400 sqft, whichever is greater.

This was quite disappointing because a 2,000 square foot house is too small for our forever home.

Does anyone have any creative ideas to go beyond this? I'm looking into the new ADU rules to see if they can help.

Jeremy

0Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Jared W SmithBusiness Member
Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
6y

How did you come to the 2400 SF quantity? Is this maximum gross SF including EVERYTHING? You may want to retain an architect (or ask your architect). Here in NY, the Code eliminates several spaces which are not calculated in the habitable SF calculations. Basement, boiler room, storage, even closets and means of circulation (stairs) are not counted towards habitable square footage calculations. This could be the difference of a few hundred SF in your favor. @Account Closed  

Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Fremont, CA · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Jeremy Segermeister

    Would a two story build solve your issue? From my understanding, the ratio is based on lot coverage.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2019 · 64 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    @Zab Khan no, the max lot coverage is 25% but total square footage cannot exceed 30% of 2400sqft.

  • Developer · Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    The ADU won't count towards the floor area ratio. San Jose adopted new rules in December that comply with the new 2020 state of California code.

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 263 posts · 132 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed 
    I went to a Meetup earlier this week and heard a presentation from an architect on a panel that spoke about exactly what you want to do. She was using an ADU to built a larger custom home on a small lot in Hermosa Beach. If you want her contact info please message me!

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2019 · 64 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    @Matthew Forrest that would be awesome! Thanks!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Hermosa Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Jeremy Segermeister that is crazy how small they make you build there. Are you sure is not 30% lot coverage? I have build a couple properties and Adus. One way I think you could build more livable sqft would be to turn the garage into an adu.

  • Jared W SmithBusiness Member
    Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
    6y

    How did you come to the 2400 SF quantity? Is this maximum gross SF including EVERYTHING? You may want to retain an architect (or ask your architect). Here in NY, the Code eliminates several spaces which are not calculated in the habitable SF calculations. Basement, boiler room, storage, even closets and means of circulation (stairs) are not counted towards habitable square footage calculations. This could be the difference of a few hundred SF in your favor. @Account Closed  

    Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2019 · 64 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    @Jared W Smith good point. I'll double check with the architect (once I hire them), but from my interpretation of the code and after talking to various people, they are pretty strict. The ADU should help a bit.

  • Developer · Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    You do not need an architect, you can use a designer.  

  • Contractor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 339 posts · 325 votes
    6y

    @Laura Blair if the designer knows the applicable codes

  • Contractor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 339 posts · 325 votes
    6y

    @Matthew Forrest this goes 100% against what ADUs were developed for; providing additional housing density in areas that need it

  • Rental Property Investor · Peekskill, NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Jared W Smith very interesting.  I am in contract on a MF up in Poughkeepsie - Dutchess County NY and considering future re-development potential.  50 x 200 Lot with existing 2400/SF 3 Fam dwelling + 3650/Sf 16 Bay Garage - R2A zone.  I will connect with you as trying to understand highest and best use.

  • Rental Property Investor · Poughkeepsie, NY · Member since 2013 · 262 posts · 96 votes
    6y

    Is that off 44   
    I looked at one off 44 a couple years ago

  • Jared W SmithBusiness Member
    Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Frank Robinson:

    @Jared W Smith very interesting.  I am in contract on a MF up in Poughkeepsie - Dutchess County NY and considering future re-development potential.  50 x 200 Lot with existing 2400/SF 3 Fam dwelling + 3650/Sf 16 Bay Garage - R2A zone.  I will connect with you as trying to understand highest and best use.

    More than happy to take a look at it. Send me a private message and we can connect further.  

    Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.