Land Flipping during a recession

16 Replies

I’m currently taking an online course on land flipping with Jack Bosch. Is now a bad time to buy and/or sell land (including vacant lots)? The course claims that there is never a bad time to buy and sell land. They say it’s a recession proof strategy. I would be curious to learn about others experience with this.

Any insights are appreciated!

@Daniel Whitmore , I totally understand your concern. I am also in the land business and I am currently closing on 2 properties one for purchase where the price dropped 15k and a sale at our asking price. :) Please feel free to message me if you have any questions. :)

Originally posted by @Daniel Whitmore :

I’m currently taking an online course on land flipping with Jack Bosch. Is now a bad time to buy and/or sell land (including vacant lots)? The course claims that there is never a bad time to buy and sell land. They say it’s a recession proof strategy. I would be curious to learn about others experience with this.

Yes you should be able to do very well during a downturn as long as you are filled in on values. Many people will want to sell to get cash right now and there are always buyers when offering terms.

@Umar Awan thank you for the insights! This is reassuring and will help me in making a decision re: investing in education and systems in the midst of a recession.

@Amy Aziz thank you for the insights! It sounds like your land business is doing quite well. This is great info. It can be difficult to make a large financial investment in your education in the midst of a recession but I think this could be a wise move. I want to understand and utilize this strategy (from home).

Nice to see another Cali resident in this thread!

@Greg Dickerson thanks for your response! I appreciate your insight and affirmation here. Can you explain what you mean by “filled in with values”?

Sorry that was auto correct typo from my phone. Should have said "dialed in"  The key right now with any strategy is to know the market, the inventory and the values. 

I just got started since my normal biz is mostly closed and I like that I can do it from home. I am not sure how it does during recession. I have sold two so far. I did make a kind of low ball offer on 50 acres yesterday. It was underpriced imo and I started asking a bunch of questions. I think they did the homework and when I checked after offer declined they raised the price 50% bc I think the questions help reveal its way underpriced. Anywho, I will end up offering what they originally ask for if it is still available. Good luck!

Originally posted by @Zach Quick :

@Matt R. What’s your normal biz? Always thought this seemed like an interesting model since it really doesn’t require much capital or leverage. But is far from passive I’m sure.

Normal biz is surf school. I guess it could be partly passive income if you finance buyers. I am not there yet but seems like majority do offer that. Good luck! 

nothing is recession proof.. but i grew up in the land business my dad did this in the 60s 70s and into the 80s I have done it on and off since I am always on the look out for land we can buy for cash and sell on terms.. its an OLD OLD OLD strategy nothing has changed.

@Amy Aziz thank you for the insights! It sounds like your land business is doing quite well. This is great info. It can be difficult to make a large financial investment in your education in the midst of a recession but I think this could be a wise move. I want to understand and utilize this strategy (from home).

Nice to see another Cali resident in this thread!

Ditto Daniel! I did take my time and leaned heavily on my mentors while learning and starting out. Let me know if you need any help!

@Daniel Whitmore  I've been investing in land for 3+ years now.  The consensus in the land community is that our goal is to buy below market value and sell for more, still below market value.  Like @Greg Dickerson said, I am checking my inventory prices vs the "for sale" markets monthly, a lot closer than I had prior to the virus.  I have margin in my deals and if I have to drop prices to stay competitive and make sure mine is the next to sell then so be it.  I just don't want to miss the wave.  I doubt I'll "lose money" and any of my properties because I buy conservatively.  

I am still doing direct mail marketing and my prices got about 20-30% lower than they already were, and I'm going to be very conservative on my acquisitions.

I think it's a great idea to get educated while you have the free time now.  I took the REtipster course as well as the LandAcademy course and got good nuggets out of each.  The JB course you're taking is the third of four major land investing courses and I think you'll do fine with it.  Welcome to the community :)

Daniel, I have thought about joining the course with Jack as well, but I found it to be quite pricey. Are you already in the course or are you just a member of the Facebook group ? , where they’re trying to get you to join. It’s over $30,000. If it would be worth it I would do it. But that’s quite a lot of money right now