Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Land & New Construction
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jordan P Applegate
  • Investor
  • Cabot, AR
Votes |
Develop property for multi-family, single-fam, or something else?

Jordan P Applegate
  • Investor
  • Cabot, AR
Posted

Hi BP community,

My mom recently inherited about 12 acres of pasture on the corner of Dixieland and New Hope in Rogers, AR.  It's adjacent to a police station, near shopping, and near the high school.  After lots of reading & listening on BP, it occurred to me that it might make sense to build some apartments there.  Alternatively, maybe a single-family neighborhood would make sense.  Then again, I'm open to AAA (storage units, gas station, etc.) as well.  If I pool capital with some other family members, I think we would have some options, and since we own the land, that seems like a huge start.  I am looking for cash flow and a buy-and-hold strategy, and my mom just wants to do something useful with her property.  I should probably mention that I don't know much about the zoning situation.  Currently the property is zoned agricultural, and I heard the population density zoning in that area is somewhat low.

I need some help narrowing my focus. I have about $250K available to invest aside from other family members. Up to this point, I have been scouring the MLS for SFH deals, and I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on a direct mail campaign in my own area of Cabot, AR. However, it seems more efficient to buy one big multi-fam instead of hunting down a bunch of SF deals. From what I have learned, you can fit about 33 to 36 units on one acre. There's no way we have enough capital to fund anything close to 12 acres x 33 units at $1.25 sqft (+/-$39M). Furthermore, it sounds like walkability is a big deal in NWA right now, and while the property is in close proximity to several good things, it's not walkable like downtown Bentonville.

Please help me with my strategy. I need cash flow as part of my buy-and-hold goal. Is it feasible to develop one acre at a time, slowly adding apartment buildings in row-like fashion? There was a guest on the podcast who did that, but I believe there is planning that has to occur in terms of irrigation, pavement, etc. Maybe there's something creative that hasn't come to mind yet, like a farm. As I mentioned in the beginning, I'm open to developing the land into a SFH neighborhood. Maybe I should make the neighbors mad and build a mobile home park, haha! At least the cops would be close!

Thanks for your help,

Jordan Applegate

Loading replies...