Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Steven Griffith
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chapel Hill, NC
Votes |
Purchasing a Model Home and Leasing Back?

Steven Griffith
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chapel Hill, NC
Posted Oct 24 2020, 12:00

Hey Y'all,

I had a conversation earlier today with a builder regarding his model home. It's a new neighborhood - the model isn't even completely finished yet.

I was initially looking at home prices and considering buying in this neighborhood now, and banking on the forced appreciation as the neighborhood gets built out over the next few decades (a LARGE neighborhood). Builders regularly increase the base price of the model, so I wanted to explore this possibility...and appreciation is STRONG in North Carolina, particularky around the triangle and Raleigh - Durham - Chapel Hill.

Anyway, after mentioning that I'm a real estate investor, the sales agent told me the builder is looking for an investor to purchase the model now, and then allow the builder to sign a 4 year lease-back. She gave me the builder's contact information, and took mine to pass along.

Does anyone have experience with this type of deal? Purchasing a model home at the start of a new neighnorhood and then leasing back to the builder? Seems like a great deal - since it's the model, it'll be kept in peak condition and yet no one will be living there, putting wear/tear on the house, the appliances, etc.

Again, seems like a great deal opportunity. What am I missing? Does anyone have experience with this, and/or can share other considerations or things to watch out for? I'm planning to call the builder tomorrow or Monday to get some hard numbers, so any advice is welcome!  

Loading replies...