User Stats

Votes
Kevin Barske
Votes |
Ideas Needed for Monetizing Off Grid Land

Kevin Barske
Posted Sep 28 2021, 12:32

Hello everyone!

My wife and I began learning about real estate investing in January. Since then we purchased two duplexes that we are BRRRR'ing and are waiting to get them rented out so we can finance them and find the next deal.

Seven years ago (before we even thought about real estate investing) we purchased 52 acres of land an hour east of our home in Winnipeg, Canada where we live.  The 52 acres consists of approx. 95% Aspen forest with about 5% Spruce in the south west corner. Both of us have studied permaculture, so based on permaculture design principles we cleared a couple acres, planted a food forest and dug a pond. Our goal was to grow our own healthy food in harmony with the land as well as build within 5 years. It's now 7 years and we still have not built.

Due to my wife's job, we don't want to move out to the country (her current 2 minute commute is hard to give up for an hour drive especially with current gas prices!)

We bought an old trailer that we have out there so we can spend the night but it's completely off grid. There's no water, no power and a composting toilet. The summer nights get quite hot and stuffy in the trailer.  Power could easily be brought in off the highway which isn't far away and a well could be dug for water.

Without living out there full time, it's hard to maintain as nature wants the land to go back to forest and the wildlife eat everything we plant. 

We have a tree house, a zipline, a fire pit and a small 15 minute walking trail through the woods I made.  As our kids are getting bigger, we have only been getting out there a couple times the past few summers.  We would like to keep this land as well as find a way for it to generate a bit of income for us.

My question to you is this...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to monetize this piece of land as it basically sits vacant 360 days a year?  We would like to keep the whole section of land without subdividing and selling portions off. 

Thanks!

Loading replies...