Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Brian Amirian
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Can I subdivide and build in NE Philadelphia RSA-3?

Brian Amirian
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Posted Oct 20 2021, 11:11

Hi. I have a triplex in North East Philadelphia (Burholme) on a double lot zoned RSA-3. The existing triplex is detached and built along the outer edge of the property line -- probably long before the current zoning rules went into effect. I would like to subdivide and build on the lot that is now predominantly empty (used for parking). Since the existing property was not built to be an attached property, any new build would need to be detached.

The problem I see is that building a detached house in RSA-3 would require 8 feet of side yard on both sides. Considering the lot is 25’ wide, that would only leave me 9’ of width to build by right. It doesn't seem practical.

So.. I'm looking to see if there is a creative solution to this.

Can I build a ‘detached’ house along the property line without any windows on the property line side similar to how it would be if I were building two attached houses side-by-side on these lots? That would let me build a house 16’ wide. Arguably, one day if the triplex is demolished, an attached house adjacent to the one I build could replace it.

What about 9’ wide building with bump outs on the second and third floor? That might provide another 2-3’ on each side. But will zoning allow for that? I can't seem to find any good information on what's allowed with bump outs.

If not, is there a way for me to somehow ‘attach’ these houses and be in compliance with code? I’m thinking a breezeway or something like that.

Or… do I subdivide and then attempt to go the variance route? 

Of course, I am looking to avoid the expense for subdivision if I will be completely out-of-luck for developing the property.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Loading replies...