RAD Diversified SCAM ALERT!!!

RAD Diversified SCAM ALERT!!!

Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 33 votes

Hello,

I Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on the RAD Diversified scandal that is currently unfolding. As of April 1, 2024, RAD Diversified (a REIT), has officially put a freeze on withdrawing any and all funds from the REIT. If I had to speculate, I would say they are facing some serious liquidity issues. Interestingly enough, I came across an article in the Philidelphia Inquirer that raised concerns about the REIT two years ago. It's pretty much spot on. Looks like your classic Ponzi scheme. It would appear good ole Dutch has been using new investor funds to pay liquidations i.e. robbing Peter to pay Paul. I guess the well has run dry.

I myself was duped into investing $5000 (unaccredited) into the fund and will now no longer be able to liquidate any portion of my shares. The URL provided above will take you to official statement that RAD has provided to the SEC. Personally, I doubt its authenticity, but that's the direct information I was provided with from Alexander Prock, as of one hour ago. I also know that RAD's accreditation with the BBB has been revoked due to the massive influx of similar complaints that have been pouring in since the official statement was released on April 1st, 2024.

I would strongly advise ALL BP members to stay far away from this scam. I highly doubt I will ever see my money again. I would sincerely hope that the SEC has begun looking into this and/or the FBI. And, by the way, Dutch Mendenhall the CEO of RAD, has been a member of the BP community now for several years so feel free to chime in bud. Below is a copy of the SEC statement. It really makes me sick that these scam artists run rampant while the SEC does absolutely nothing to combat the issues. Anyway, please feel free to do your own due diligence but it looks like we all got got.



"On April 1, 2024, the board of directors (the “Board") of RAD Diversified REIT, Inc. (the "Company”) decided, in accordance with the terms of its Share Redemption Program, to continue the temporary freeze of the Company’s redemption program. The Company will not process any pending requests that have not been redeemed as of February 1, 2024 nor will it accept any redemption requests after April 1, 2024. Pending redemption requests will remain in queue until the Company recommences the redemption program. The Board intends to reassess this decision to determine whether to recommence the redemption program or to continue to pause the redemption program no later than July 1, 2024."

13Reply
5,556 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Scott Trench:

I have no idea what is happening at this particular fund, and can’t chime in on any specifics.

I will say that I, along with many investors in the community, have likely lost a lot of money. Syndicators who bragged about how smart they were, showed off fancy lives, cars, private jets, and mansions, second homes, and wrote books and sold expensive courses about how smart they are at investing are being exposed all over the place. Sometimes, these syndicators who are actively in process of wiping out investor’s life savings, even brag about how automated their businesses are and how they don’t have to work!

I’m not making the same mistakes with my money again, nor will I allow investors who made their name in part on BiggerPockets to go unexposed if they treat investors poorly, lose huge amounts of investor money, or clearly mismanage funds.

We are starting PassivePockets.com and launch it in June. We will learn how to find and vet “good” and expose “bad” for ALL to see. In the meantime, we will watch the forums for more posts about the syndicators who handle situations to the chagrin of their investors. 


 Morning Scott,  I missed this post and posted above but its worth repeating. What I see irrespective of how the deals are going is the lack of communications from these syndicators
with respect to how their deals are actually doing. Communication good or bad goes along way to keeping investors from being upset to going ballistic on the internet and creating irreparable harm to the syndicators reputations.

It seems that most of the BP influencers I have seen over the years have stepped into MF syndication with varying results. So to that end they are new to the game never went through a deep downturn cycle. And for them rasing capital on SM BP facebook whatever has been fairly easy compared to others who dont have a big SM or BP presence.  This is where the crowdfunding sites helped a lot fo those types scale.

The play book as you described is an old one when it comes to marketing themselves nothing different than what the how to trainer do. The difference is they are stuck with a certain asset as we are seeing. The trainers just pivot to what is working today and set up training in that niche. But its all the same big budget for marketing and go hammer the airwaves/internet. Sell the sizzle etc etc.

Having been front and center in the late 80s of a billion dollar syndication company ( was an independent contractor in charge of finding and entitling their land projects in northern CA.) I saw what happens when these things start to go south and from my mind most of these companies that could be struggling now simply do not have enough staff to handle all their investors needs in a timely fashion and when things go bad like we see posted on BP right now lack of up front communications leads to Investors going out of their minds with worry and the blame game starts. Then of course google searches bring all these things to the front page and next thing you know reputations get hammered..

As one who personally had a medium sized HML company going into 2007 2008 with 600 loans on my books and by 2010 went through a massive re value melt down all of us in that business got hammered for us we started in 2001 and by 2010 had to basically shut down let go 90% of staff and spent 3 to 4 years hemorrhaging our net worth's to make sure our banks got paid ( which to my personal financial situation was devastating) Most of my peers went out of business completely ( BK) I did not but by 2011 I was basically starting over. But with my head held high gone was all the normal trappings of RE success being served as a big slice of humble pie :(.

And as my core commercial banks understood that I doing everything i could to protect them. The one bank left kept a 1 mil line of credit for me ( down from 15 mil) had me  on a 90 day extensions for 4 years and allowed to to earn back in. Its taken basically 12 years to get back to maybe half of what I had at the time.

Bottom line RE cycles and I suspect most of the folks that are having issues did what they thought was correct or right and the market has gone against them.. If they are not changing their personal lifestyles to adjust to this, not communicating, doing new deals leaving old ones to wither then you know what your dealing with the goal ( human nature i guess) is to keep lifestyle intact at all costs.

To that end I just paid off yesterday my last legacy bank debt took me 12 years but its done an gone now. But those same banks stuck with me and allowed me to pivot and build up my new construction side using bank debt intead of HML.. etc etc.

So If i was guessing most of the folks having issues in the space have very little assets aimed toward client relations and communications but still do big spends on advertising for new blood.

See this reply in the discussion

497 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2024 · 95 posts · 35 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Barbara Radke:
    Quote from @Alan David:

    this is for interested members here;

    https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1721469/000110465924...

    Raad just will not let go.I cannot understand why they dont make at least a small effort to make us 

    whole.They must have some funds.

    The document you shared said The Board intends to reassess this decision to determine whether to recommence the redemption program no later than January 1, 2025. Do you know if this has happened? 


     I doubt it,attended the zoom session and was very disappointed.I sadly made a big error here?For  a fixed income senior this is especially tough

  • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes
    1y

    I bought reit shares from rad based on recommendations from boxabl  where I'm also invested. It looks like I may lose both investments.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Rita Merlo:

    I bought reit shares from rad based on recommendations from boxabl  where I'm also invested. It looks like I may lose both investments.


    I did not hear any thing negative on Boxabl been following them.. they are Vegas based ADU in a box correct..  I know they raised a lot of money though
  • Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    1y
  • Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Barbara Radke:

    The document you shared said The Board intends to reassess this decision to determine whether to recommence the redemption program no later than January 1, 2025. Do you know if this has happened? 

    I attended the last Zoom meeting and, no, they don't have plans to recommence with *any* kind of payouts.  Dutch was just throwing out terms like "hopeful" and giving arbitrary timeframes, which I'm sure will change from Zoom meeting to Zoom meeting, just like the share price change, which has not changed, despite Dutch saying "any day now" or "next week" in Zoom meetings over the course of many months.

  • USA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    following and subscribing to the thread

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jonathan Karas:
    Quote from @Barbara Radke:

    The document you shared said The Board intends to reassess this decision to determine whether to recommence the redemption program no later than January 1, 2025. Do you know if this has happened? 

    I attended the last Zoom meeting and, no, they don't have plans to recommence with *any* kind of payouts.  Dutch was just throwing out terms like "hopeful" and giving arbitrary timeframes, which I'm sure will change from Zoom meeting to Zoom meeting, just like the share price change, which has not changed, despite Dutch saying "any day now" or "next week" in Zoom meetings over the course of many months.


    If I was an investor, the questions I would be asking on the zoom call would be:

    1. Are you under investigation or review by the SEC

    2. Per Regulation A+ requirements, you are to submit audited financials, why have those not been submitted? When will they be submitted? Who is your auditor?

    3. you received a SEC staff action order in February of 2024. Were you raising money after that staff action order?

    4. Why has RADD not submitted their required 1SA form (semi annual report).

    note this is for:RAD Diversified REIT, Inc. (CIK 0001721469)

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    1y

    Filing a lawsuit is not going to help you with this "company." They're already being sued and investigated by the government. To protect your rights, get on the victim list by calling:

    (800) SEC-0330 to make a report to the SEC.

    (800) CALL-FBI to make a report to the FBI.

    Important details to include are how you were sold the investment - any and all details of that marketing. Whether it was a suitable investment for you given your net worth and earnings - anything they told you about suitability. Have proof - where did you wire the money, have all your documents in one place. Describe each and every promise they've made, when they made it and when it was broken. Advise that you've heard their sales reps are independent contractors 1099 and don't have broker licenses.

    Good luck to everyone going through this. I hope we see some action by the government this year.

  • USA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    As Melanie indicated- there is an investigation with SEC, they called me 1/14/25 for information. 

    In terms of the upcoming zoom meetings- asking tough questions is difficult. The microphone is closed. You can submit questions via chat but I’m sure those are cherry-picked. If you join the call as “anonymous”, Dutch always says he will not respond to you. I have never seen any financial statements or documents or 3rd party audits etc. 

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    private message me if you want to join the RADD investor group.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mark D.:

    As Melanie indicated- there is an investigation with SEC, they called me 1/14/25 for information. 

    In terms of the upcoming zoom meetings- asking tough questions is difficult. The microphone is closed. You can submit questions via chat but I’m sure those are cherry-picked. If you join the call as “anonymous”, Dutch always says he will not respond to you. I have never seen any financial statements or documents or 3rd party audits etc. 


    well once pandora's box has been opened like this it becomes out of investors control. Keep in mind many get investigated not all get charged or anything happens..
  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Please private message me to join the RADD investors group

  • Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mark D.:

    In terms of the upcoming zoom meetings- asking tough questions is difficult. The microphone is closed. You can submit questions via chat but I’m sure those are cherry-picked.

    Bingo.

  • Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Richard Lo:

    private message me if you want to join the RADD investor group.


    What do you mean by this?  Do you mean message you if we want to join some sort of class action lawsuit against them?  Surely you aren't asking if people want to put money *into* RADD?
  • Gypsum, CO · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jonathan Karas:
    Quote from @Richard Lo:

    private message me if you want to join the RADD investor group.


    What do you mean by this?  Do you mean message you if we want to join some sort of class action lawsuit against them?  Surely you aren't asking if people want to put money *into* RADD?

     There is no class action suit at this point. We are simply a group of almost 150 investors in RADD who have had zero returns and are looking for options to get our money back...if possible.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @James D. Kellogg:
    Quote from @Jonathan Karas:
    Quote from @Richard Lo:

    private message me if you want to join the RADD investor group.


    What do you mean by this?  Do you mean message you if we want to join some sort of class action lawsuit against them?  Surely you aren't asking if people want to put money *into* RADD?

     There is no class action suit at this point. We are simply a group of almost 150 investors in RADD who have had zero returns and are looking for options to get our money back...if possible.


    unless there is insurance to go after or some hidden deep pockets  class action is a non starter I suspect. just looks like from we see a failed investment or at least a deeply flawed one.
  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Jay Hinrichs Raises a good point. How do you collect and is worth the time, effort and expense? Rarely is the pursuit worthwhile unless there's insurance money available or assets that can be converted to cash.  

    Can't speak to RAD's portfolio elsewhere but it seems like a sizeable portion of RAD's assets are located in Philadelphia and from my review that portfolio is largely comprised of C/D located assets levered with hard money debt so not sure if there's much equity that can be squeezed out of those assets if sold. Especially since their rehabs are shoddy and rarely permitted so not sure who will step in and pay a premium for these assets. More than likely scenario will be investors picking away at the carcass of what RAD left behind...

    Furthermore, it doesn't appear any insurance coverage would exist based on the purported facts. Also, it appears there's individuals who purchased shares of a REIT, others who participated in joint ventures and others who made unsecured loans to RAD. I don't see how each group would bring a joint claim, the fact patterns differ.

    It also seems many invested relatively small amounts which makes it even more difficult to absorb the legal fees associated with any claims. I am not sure if the data exists but would be curious to understand what the avg. investment RAD collected amounted to?

  • Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    1y
    Quote from @James D. Kellogg:

     There is no class action suit at this point. We are simply a group of almost 150 investors in RADD who have had zero returns and are looking for options to get our money back...if possible.


     Count me in.  Also, they allowed me to put in way more money than I should have, being a nonaccredited investor.  Can I go after them for that?

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jonathan Karas:
    Quote from @James D. Kellogg:

     There is no class action suit at this point. We are simply a group of almost 150 investors in RADD who have had zero returns and are looking for options to get our money back...if possible.


     Count me in.  Also, they allowed me to put in way more money than I should have, being a nonaccredited investor.  Can I go after them for that?


     Count me in as well

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jonathan Karas:
    Quote from @James D. Kellogg:

     There is no class action suit at this point. We are simply a group of almost 150 investors in RADD who have had zero returns and are looking for options to get our money back...if possible.


     Count me in.  Also, they allowed me to put in way more money than I should have, being a nonaccredited investor.  Can I go after them for that?


    We also run a regulation a+ offering and we have discussed this with our attorneys as this was one of the first questions we had and the answer is NO. You cannot go after them as for a regulation a+ offering is self attestation (meaning you are attesting that you are not putting in more than 10%). They are responsible for AML/KYC check to make sure its not money from some mexican drug lord etc. but if you put in more than the 10% net worth outside your primary thats on you. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jonathan Karas:
    Quote from @James D. Kellogg:

     There is no class action suit at this point. We are simply a group of almost 150 investors in RADD who have had zero returns and are looking for options to get our money back...if possible.


     Count me in.  Also, they allowed me to put in way more money than I should have, being a nonaccredited investor.  Can I go after them for that?


     Please see the private message to join the victims' group. If you don't see it, just message me. 

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Hongjie Xie:
    Quote from @Jonathan Karas:
    Quote from @James D. Kellogg:

     There is no class action suit at this point. We are simply a group of almost 150 investors in RADD who have had zero returns and are looking for options to get our money back...if possible.


     Count me in.  Also, they allowed me to put in way more money than I should have, being a nonaccredited investor.  Can I go after them for that?


     Count me in as well

    Please see the private message to join the victims' group. If you don't see it, just message me.



    Please see the private message to join the victims' group. If you don't see it, just message me.
  • Member since 2024 · 18 posts · 21 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Jonathan Karas:
    Quote from @James D. Kellogg:

     There is no class action suit at this point. We are simply a group of almost 150 investors in RADD who have had zero returns and are looking for options to get our money back...if possible.


     Count me in.  Also, they allowed me to put in way more money than I should have, being a nonaccredited investor.  Can I go after them for that?


    We also run a regulation a+ offering and we have discussed this with our attorneys as this was one of the first questions we had and the answer is NO. You cannot go after them as for a regulation a+ offering is self attestation (meaning you are attesting that you are not putting in more than 10%). They are responsible for AML/KYC check to make sure its not money from some mexican drug lord etc. but if you put in more than the 10% net worth outside your primary thats on you. 


     Does that take their IRAs into account?

  • Member since 2025 · 48 posts · 38 votes
    1y

    @sebastian 

    @Sebastian Bennett They are not only not responsive they are lying to their investors. There are over 100 of us and counting in a group that have been defrauded.  RADD is not only not paying our portion of hard money loans and joint venture sales they made, they are claiming we owe additional money for "renovations" despite work not being done on properties.  Total scam and they will be stopped at some point.

  • Member since 2025 · 48 posts · 38 votes
    1y

    @jonathan 

    @Jonathan Karas Dutch is lying. As we re all painfully learning, that's really all he is good at.  He has a God complex with nothing to back it up.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.