Locating property owners

2 Replies

What are some more cost effective ways to locate vacant property owners besides: (1) Sending letters to the address thats affiliated with the vacant property according to the MLS database, (2) Using ACCURINT (because it cost $300/month plus pay per click according to a real estate investor that has previously informed me of such fees due to their membership with that online company.

I'm starting out in real estate investing by doing wholesale transactions and have a tight budget to do so with. Therefore, all suggestions and advice are welcome to this question.

Although you can't necessarily find vacant properties using the local appraisal district data, you can find out of state or non owner-occupied properties. Local appraisal districts usually show the property address and the owner address (or mailing address). There is usually a download option and you can load the records into a spreadsheet and search for the records where the addresses are different for property and owner.

I would not look at vacant, the property may be in some state of foreclosure and owner could care less.

Focus on absentee owners instead, those who want out. Look for those who purchased in 2005-2008, during the height of the market. A realtor can send you the data by zip code.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here