Split Level Entry Design

3 Replies

Hey guys,

So I'm closing on my first property in one week, so I'm in the process of planing out the rehab. One area I'm having trouble with is the entry of the house. When you walk in the front door on the main(top) level the living room is to the right and I plan on making the space to the left a formal dining area. However, I believe that it looks TOO open with railings on both sides of the stairs. My initial thought was to build a wall in place of the railing on the left, but then I thought a half wall would be nice as well. A half wall would seperate the dining area but still allow some flow.

What do you guys think? Lighting is not an issue since there are huge windows on both sides. Also, the railing will get replaced since the balusters are way to far apart and was done incorrectly.

1567 3rd Ave, Newport, Minnesota1567 3rd Ave, Newport, Minnesota

This picture was very small in OP

1567 3rd Ave, Newport, Minnesota

I like the half wall idea...it would give separation while still allowing the open feel for the main level. It seems that the overriding trend nowadays is open floor plans, so I wouldn't necessarily put up a full wall. Good luck!

Yeah you don't see many split-levels with both sides open. I'm leaning towards the half wall.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here