Choosing the Right Property Manager as a Remote Investor

Choosing the Right Property Manager as a Remote Investor

Property Manager · Member since 2024 · 117 posts · 112 votes

When I talk to new investors — especially those managing rentals from out of state — one of the most common mistakes I see is asking only about a manager’s processes or protocols. Don’t get me wrong — understanding how tenant screening, maintenance, or rent collection is handled is important. But the real key isn’t just what they do… it’s whether the way they do it aligns with your strategy.

Here’s what I mean:

  • If you travel often and prefer written records of every update, a manager who only calls you might drive you crazy.

  • If your investment approach is long-term appreciation, working with someone who only focuses on fast tenant placement — without an eye on tenant quality or property care — could hurt you down the road.

  • If you rely heavily on construction or renovations as part of your growth, you’ll want a manager with established relationships and systems to coordinate that, not just a reactive approach.

The bottom line: there’s no universal “right way” to manage properties. There’s only the right way for your goals.

So when you’re interviewing potential managers, don’t just ask: “What do you do?”
Ask: “How do you do it, and how will that fit into the strategy I’m building?”

It’s a small shift in perspective, but it’s often the difference between feeling frustrated and feeling like you truly have a partner in your portfolio.

Curious — for those of you who self-manage or work with managers, what’s the one alignment question you wish you’d asked earlier?

0Reply
57 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I'm not sure what you mean by alignment question but I wish I had asked how does a property manager determine if a repair that a tenant is requesting is due to malfunction of the system or part (so the owner's responsibility) or something the tenant is doing either intentionally or unintentionally to cause something to break. In the second situation, the tenant should be responsible for repairs and pay for it (not the owner). 

    I've noticed that larger property management companies who do things all digitally will automatically do the repairs if it's under a certain dollar amount and bill me/take it out of the rental amount (as the owner). I started asking a lot more questions now when I see a repair notification. 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    Disagree with the premis of this post. 

    In our experience, MOST owners shop for the cheapest PMC or the ones with the most "bling".

    They RARELY ask about or compare processes - then wonder why their expectations aren't met!

    They should also do a better job of reading & understanding management agreements (actually contracts!). Shorter is NOT better and what is NOT covered is usually more important than what is covered.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.