One thing I’ve noticed in working with investors is that a well-prepared deal package can make or break an approval. Beyond credit and experience, lenders really pay attention to how you present your numbers. Do you include an exit strategy in your package? Or do you keep it strictly financials? Would love to know how others here approach this.
Shaza's advice about including both a primary and backup exit strategy is spot-on. That single detail separates serious borrowers from people who are winging it.
To answer your question directly: yes, always include an exit strategy. Lenders aren't just underwriting the deal—they're underwriting you and your ability to execute. A package that's "strictly financials" tells them you can do math. A package with a clear exit (and a Plan B) tells them you've actually thought through what happens after closing.
Brett, to your question about streamlining—it doesn't have to be painstaking once you have a system. The best deal packages I've seen do one thing really well: they make it easy for the lender to say yes.
That means no missing docs, no vague numbers, no "I'll get you the comps later." Everything is in one PDF or folder, clearly labeled, ready to review. When a lender can underwrite your deal in 15 minutes instead of chasing you for a week, you become the borrower they want to work with again.
What Actually Goes in a Deal Package
Most lenders (private, hard money, or portfolio) want to see some version of this:
1. Executive Summary (1 page)
2. The Numbers
3. Exit Strategy
4. About You
5. Supporting Docs
Hope this helps!
Resources to Level Up Your Packages
A few things that have helped me (and that I recommend to investors I work with):
When I put together a deal package, I don't stop at just the financials. As a GC and flipper, I always include my scope of work, rehab timeline, and budget so the lender sees how the numbers actually come to life. I also outline my primary exit (usually a flip with comps to back it up) and a backup exit (rental with DSCR numbers). It shows I've thought it through from both a construction and investment angle, which usually makes lenders a lot more comfortable approving the deal.
When I put together a deal package, I don't stop at just the financials. As a GC and flipper, I always include my scope of work, rehab timeline, and budget so the lender sees how the numbers actually come to life. I also outline my primary exit (usually a flip with comps to back it up) and a backup exit (rental with DSCR numbers). It shows I've thought it through from both a construction and investment angle, which usually makes lenders a lot more comfortable approving the deal.
Is compiling your Deal Packages mostly a manual process with each one and you just tailor it, or do you have a way to streamline and make it relatively quick and efficient to put one together? I generally know what the Lender is looking for, but seems like a painstaking process to compile it all
@Brett Nachbor my investor is a friend of our family and we have worked together for many years,so the process for us is pretty easy and straightforward.but you can create a deal template that you can plugin your numbers and information and tweak it to what your investors want to see .
Im trying to be the investor and GC at the same time and planning to keep both as two separate businesses.
Shaza's advice about including both a primary and backup exit strategy is spot-on. That single detail separates serious borrowers from people who are winging it.
To answer your question directly: yes, always include an exit strategy. Lenders aren't just underwriting the deal—they're underwriting you and your ability to execute. A package that's "strictly financials" tells them you can do math. A package with a clear exit (and a Plan B) tells them you've actually thought through what happens after closing.
Brett, to your question about streamlining—it doesn't have to be painstaking once you have a system. The best deal packages I've seen do one thing really well: they make it easy for the lender to say yes.
That means no missing docs, no vague numbers, no "I'll get you the comps later." Everything is in one PDF or folder, clearly labeled, ready to review. When a lender can underwrite your deal in 15 minutes instead of chasing you for a week, you become the borrower they want to work with again.
What Actually Goes in a Deal Package
Most lenders (private, hard money, or portfolio) want to see some version of this:
1. Executive Summary (1 page)
2. The Numbers
3. Exit Strategy
4. About You
5. Supporting Docs
Hope this helps!
Resources to Level Up Your Packages
A few things that have helped me (and that I recommend to investors I work with):