Working Capital

2 Replies

This probably isn't the sexiest question, but for those of you who are buy and hold investors, how do you determine working capital requirements. My initial thought was that I would take PITI x 12 as an initial working capital metric, and start to run more lean as I get some more experience.

I'd be interested to hear how folks who have done this for a while look at working capital.

Fannie and Freddie consider six months PITIA (A= anything else, such as HOA) per property to be adequate. I'd say six months rent is safer.

When I was starting out, working capital was my next paycheck and my credit card and/or a 401K loan - then I had a couple months where things were REALLY tight and decided I would set a minimum threshold that I wouldn't go below. I definitely recommend having and keeping a cushion!

What that cushion can/should be will vary greatly based on the types/locations of properties you invest in and the relationships you have with vendors. If I had to call one of the big box plumbers or HVAC companies every time something came up, I'd be looking at north of 2x the cost compared to what I actually pay. Knowing what you can expect and knowing who to call will greatly change the amount of reserves you need to keep to feel comfortable.

That being said, 6 mos of PITI + HOA would be an excellent benchmark starting out. As you grow, you'll get a better feel for what you need to operate on and you can scale that back (or up) as needed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here