Feeling Stuck as a First-Time Investor (SF-based, $90k down, cash-flow focused) — loo

Feeling Stuck as a First-Time Investor (SF-based, $90k down, cash-flow focused) — loo

Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 17 votes

Hi BiggerPockets community,

I’m hoping to get some honest feedback and perspective from experienced investors.

I live in San Francisco and have about $90k available for a down payment. I've read several real estate books, understand the basics (NOI, DSCR, cash flow vs appreciation), and my goal is to start building long-term financial freedom through buy-and-hold real estate — ideally small multifamily (2–4 units).

Given SF prices, I know investing out of state is basically required, and I’m totally open to that. I’ve been focusing on Midwest markets and underwriting deals conservatively.

Here’s where I’m getting stuck and frustrated:

  • Everyone says “out-of-state is possible”

  • But when I actually talk to agents, the deals they send:

    • Don’t cash flow at asking price

    • Rely on future rent increases or appreciation

    • Often don’t match the criteria we discussed

  • When I push back with numbers, I’m told:
    “Cash flow just isn’t possible in this area anymore.”

I’m not looking for home runs or speculation — even $150–300/month cash flow on a first small multifamily would be fine. I just don’t want to buy a deal that bleeds cash or only works “on paper.”

So my questions for those who’ve been through this stage:

  1. Is modest cash flow on a first 2–4 unit still realistic today, or is my expectation outdated?

  2. How do you separate real market reality from agent bias when starting out?

  3. Is the right move to:

    • Keep making low but realistic offers and expect many rejections?

    • Or pause and rework assumptions entirely?

  4. For those who started out-of-state:

    • What finally helped you get past this “stuck” phase and close deal #1?

I’m not trying to rush — I just want to move forward intelligently instead of spinning my wheels.

Any perspective (especially from people who started in the last few years) would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance 🙏

— Vincenzo

4Reply
309 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7mo
Quote from @Vincenzo Lomaestro:

Hi BiggerPockets community,

I’m hoping to get some honest feedback and perspective from experienced investors.

I live in San Francisco and have about $90k available for a down payment. I've read several real estate books, understand the basics (NOI, DSCR, cash flow vs appreciation), and my goal is to start building long-term financial freedom through buy-and-hold real estate — ideally small multifamily (2–4 units).

Given SF prices, I know investing out of state is basically required, and I’m totally open to that. I’ve been focusing on Midwest markets and underwriting deals conservatively.

Here’s where I’m getting stuck and frustrated:

  • Everyone says “out-of-state is possible”

  • But when I actually talk to agents, the deals they send:

    • Don’t cash flow at asking price

    • Rely on future rent increases or appreciation

    • Often don’t match the criteria we discussed

  • When I push back with numbers, I’m told:
    “Cash flow just isn’t possible in this area anymore.”

I’m not looking for home runs or speculation — even $150–300/month cash flow on a first small multifamily would be fine. I just don’t want to buy a deal that bleeds cash or only works “on paper.”

So my questions for those who’ve been through this stage:

  1. Is modest cash flow on a first 2–4 unit still realistic today, or is my expectation outdated?

  2. How do you separate real market reality from agent bias when starting out?

  3. Is the right move to:

    • Keep making low but realistic offers and expect many rejections?

    • Or pause and rework assumptions entirely?

  4. For those who started out-of-state:

    • What finally helped you get past this “stuck” phase and close deal #1?

I’m not trying to rush — I just want to move forward intelligently instead of spinning my wheels.

Any perspective (especially from people who started in the last few years) would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance 🙏

— Vincenzo


 You’re ALWAYS better off investing locally, where it’s easier to:

  • Learn the market
  • Network to find deals
  • Network to find contractors
  • Be more hands-on
  • Driveby property to keep tabs on it
  • Network to find a decent Property Management Company (PMC)

Next best location is somewhere else you lived, where you have an existing network of family & friends to help you as accomplish the above list as needed.

If you invest OOS, your biggest challenge won't be finding properties to meet your goals on paper, it’ll be successfully outsourcing all of the above.

The biggest mistake we see OOS investors making in our market, over and over again, is not fully understanding Neighborhood/Property/Tenant Classes and how they impact your probability of success!

They all run their ROI numbers assuming Class A results – when buying Class B, C & even D rentals.

Then they’re shocked when their performance expectations aren't met😞

If you choose to invest OOS, and have little to no landlord experience, we highly recommend targeting Class B Neighborhoods/Properties/Tenants. If you target Class C, you better be prepared emotionally & financially for plenty of challenges.

You can find Class B properties in the Midwest to BRRRR, but it will take more digging and YOU will need to understand how to analyze & identify them - because a lot of agents, wholesalers, PMCs, etc. will try to sell you Class C or D misrepresented as Class B:

  • Many of them don't know/care what Class the properties are, so they're incompetent.
  • Others know exactly what they are doing, so should be labeled as crooks!
    EITHER WAY YOU LOSE!

Why is Property Class so important for investors to understand and apply in their investing strategies?

Because the Property Class dictates the Class of the tenant pool that the property will attract.

The Tenant Class greatly impacts rental income stability and property maintenance/damage by tenants.

Both Property Class and Tenant Class will affect what type of contractors, handymen and property management companies you should target and be willing to deal with a property.

The Property Class will also impact the maintenance & renovations you do to, “Maintain to the Neighborhood”.

Why is that important?

Well, if you buy & renovate a property in Class D area to Class A standards, what Tenant Class will actually rent it?

Or, if you put several Class D tenants in a Class A four-plex, what do you think will happen to the property?

So, if you fail to apply the correct assumptions to a property, your expectations won’t be met, and it may even be a financial disaster.

We use the following to rank Property Classes, in order of importance:

  • Property Tenant Pool: closely linked to location, but not always.
  • Property Location: closely linked to tenant pool, but not always.
  • Property Condition & Amenities: it’s important to, “Maintain to the Neighborhood.”

Key metrics for each Property Class:

Class A Properties:
Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 680+, no convictions/evictions in last 7 years.
Tenant Default: 0-5% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
Section 8: Class A rents are too high and won’t be approved.
Vacancies: 5-10%, depending on market conditions.
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 3-5 years for positive cashflow, but you get highest relative rent & value appreciation.

Class B Properties:
Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 620-680, some blemishes, no convictions/evictions in last 5 years.
Tenant Default
: 5-10% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
Vacancies
: 10-15%, depending on market conditions.
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 1-3 years for positive cashflow, balanced amounts of relative rent & value appreciation.
Section 8: Class B rents are usually too high for the Section 8 program.

Class C Properties:
Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 560-620, many blemishes, but should have no convictions/evictions in last 3 years. Verifying recent 2-years of rental history very important! Same for 2-years of job/income stability.
Tenant Default: 10-20% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
Section 8: Class C rents usually meet program requirements, proper screening still recommended.
Vacancies: 10-20%, depending on market conditions and tenant screening.
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Should cashflow immediately, at the lower end of relative rent & value appreciation.

Class D Properties:
Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores under 560, little to no good tradelines, lots of collections & chargeoffs, but should have no convictions/evictions in last 12 months. Verifying last 2-years of rental history and income/employment extremely important to find the “best of the worst”.
Tenant Default: 20-30% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
Section 8: Class D rents meet program requirements, often challenges to pass Section 8 inspection.
Vacancies: 20%+, depending on market conditions and tenant screening.
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, all cashflow with little, maybe even negative, relative rent & value appreciation.

Where did we get our FICO credit score information from?

Check out this chart:

FICO Score

Pct of Population

Default Probability

800 or more

13.00%

1.00%

750-799

27.00%

1.00%

700-749

18.00%

4.40%

650-699

15.00%

8.90%

600-649

12.00%

15.80%

550-599

8.00%

22.50%

500-549

5.00%

28.40%

Less than 499

2.00%

41.00%

Source: Fair Isaac Company

Make sure you understand the Class of properties you are looking at and the corresponding results to expect.

Metro Detroit has 132 cities, the City of Detroit 183 Neighborhoods, which we’re analyzing and classifying. Check out the map on our website where we’ve made this all easy to follow.

We can also share numerous examples of properties & portfolios we’ve assisted investors with!

DM us if you’d like to discuss this logical approach in greater detail!

Horror Stories from those that did NOT Understand What they were Buying:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1137397-baltimore-a-path-to-never-ending-pain

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/432/topics/1231840-sell-at-a-loss-or-rent-at-a-loss

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/840134-memphis-turnkey-tenant-turnover-costs

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/963/topics/1195280-experience-of-oos-investing-in-cleveland-after-15-years

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Boston, MA · Member since 2021 · 125 posts · 64 votes
    7mo

    These deals absolutely are available in the Midwest. You can get cash flow 150-200, (maybe even 300 on the high end) buying a turnkey rental property putting around 30k down. So you could pick up 2-3 of these right off the bat with 90k. Even better is there are a ton of value add deals that you can BRRRR and take some money out on the refi. I think you just need to connect with the right agents or maybe a property management company.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    They are available but it is slimmer to find. I would find investor focused agents in these markets. At the end of the day you are investing so you won't buy a deal for the sake of it. Happy to chat on KC

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2021 · 774 posts · 500 votes
    7mo

    @Vincenzo Lomaestro - I would suggest you reach out to local REIA groups in the areas you are looking to invest. Chances are you'll find investors who can recommend agents that work with investors or actual agents as part of the group itself. By working with an investor agent will hopefully give you opportunities sooner - albeit I would be prepared to look at 50-100 deals before you find the "right one." It's a numbers game for sure. Good Luck!

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    Welcome!

    Everyone starts out thinking what you are thinking. These boards are littered with similar posts. 

    Cash flow or not, the biggest mistake I see new investors making is that they only analyze an investment based on the performance on day one. Well, if it were easy to make anything perform on day one, there wouldn't be a need for BP. 

    Investing is a marathon, not a sprint. As much as you think it's important that you have cash flow immediately- and I'm not saying cash flow doesn't matter, but you need to understand that the best performing properties are the ones you bought ten years ago. Doesn't even have to be a great deal, but time takes care of the rest. 

    Buy quality properties in growing and desirable markets and wait. That's it. 

  • Member since 2026 · 97 posts · 57 votes
    7mo

    Vincenzo, I went through a really similar stuck phase when I started investing out-of-state from CA a few years back. Here's what finally got me unstuck...

    On separating market reality from agent bias - the key is running your own numbers before you even talk to an agent. Pull recent sold comps from Redfin or Zillow, check rent estimates on Rentometer, and build out your own proforma with conservative assumptions (10% vacancy, 8-10% maintenance + cap-ex combined, property management even if you plan to self-manage at first). When you have your own baseline, you'll know immediately if a deal an agent sends you is actually close or way off.

    For the Midwest markets you mentioned - $150-200/door cash flow is definitely still possible in Cleveland, Indy, and KC, but you're right that they won't just fall in your lap on the MLS. The good ones either need some light value-add (think cosmetic updates or below-market rents you can bump up), or they get scooped up quickly by investors who already have relationships in those markets.

    What finally worked for me: Instead of passively waiting for agents to send deals, I started reaching out to local property managers in my target market. They often know about owners thinking of selling before properties hit the market, and they can give you realistic rent estimates since they manage similar properties daily. The PM relationship also solves the "who will manage this thing 2,000 miles away" problem before you even buy.

    With $90k down, you could comfortably pick up 2-3 turnkey SFRs or a solid duplex with some reserves left over. I'd suggest narrowing to ONE market, building your team there (investor-friendly agent, PM, lender who does DSCR), and analyzing at least 50 deals before making an offer. Sounds like a lot but it'll calibrate your eye and build confidence.

    The stuck phase sucks but you're actually doing the right thing by not overpaying for a deal that doesn't work. Keep grinding - first one is always the hardest.

  • Todd AndersonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2023 · 392 posts · 175 votes
    7mo

    @Vincenzo Lomaestro,

    A deal that cash flows is definitely available.  It is very tough to find on the market with today's interest rates.  

    When I talk with investors who are looking for OOS investments that they don't want to work to hard on, I suggest a different strategy.  We talk about looking into New Construction Investing.

    There are many builders in today's market that have inventory they would like to move.  I have found that if we can pre-negotiate incentives on off market properties that help out the investor, we can put together deals that work.  We find in many markets that builders are willing to buydown rates to the 3s and even pay for free property management.  In this type of deal the investor can find an investment that cash flows nicely on a new property that tenants like to rent.  

    feel free to connect if you have any questions on this type of investment.  I would be happy to answer any specific questions.

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Vincenzo Lomaestro:

    Hi BiggerPockets community,

    I’m hoping to get some honest feedback and perspective from experienced investors.

    I live in San Francisco and have about $90k available for a down payment. I've read several real estate books, understand the basics (NOI, DSCR, cash flow vs appreciation), and my goal is to start building long-term financial freedom through buy-and-hold real estate — ideally small multifamily (2–4 units).

    Given SF prices, I know investing out of state is basically required, and I’m totally open to that. I’ve been focusing on Midwest markets and underwriting deals conservatively.

    Here’s where I’m getting stuck and frustrated:

    • Everyone says “out-of-state is possible”

    • But when I actually talk to agents, the deals they send:

      • Don’t cash flow at asking price

      • Rely on future rent increases or appreciation

      • Often don’t match the criteria we discussed

    • When I push back with numbers, I’m told:
      “Cash flow just isn’t possible in this area anymore.”

    I’m not looking for home runs or speculation — even $150–300/month cash flow on a first small multifamily would be fine. I just don’t want to buy a deal that bleeds cash or only works “on paper.”

    So my questions for those who’ve been through this stage:

    1. Is modest cash flow on a first 2–4 unit still realistic today, or is my expectation outdated?

    2. How do you separate real market reality from agent bias when starting out?

    3. Is the right move to:

      • Keep making low but realistic offers and expect many rejections?

      • Or pause and rework assumptions entirely?

    4. For those who started out-of-state:

      • What finally helped you get past this “stuck” phase and close deal #1?

    I’m not trying to rush — I just want to move forward intelligently instead of spinning my wheels.

    Any perspective (especially from people who started in the last few years) would be hugely appreciated.

    Thanks in advance 🙏

    — Vincenzo

    I'm not sure why you are focused on 2 - 4 unit apartment buildings. They are hard to find that cash flow and have 2 - 4 times the hassle of a single family. But, I digress. 

    I focus on cash flowing single family for a number of reasons. You can sell one if you ever get into trouble and not lose your total investment. Diversity. You can refinance one for "cash out" without jeopardizing the entire investment. You can offer a tenant a lease option if it becomes necessary.

    I mean, there are more advantages, but some would ask "how do you buy enough single family to cash flow to meet the "perceived" cash flow of a multi. I can show you the numbers, but basically by using creative finance you can buy 3 single family for the $90,000 you mention at a lower interest rate. And without the bank hassle.

    It's all math. I have a spreadsheet to help figure that out that is freely available to anyone. Don't over look, or over complicate the obvious.
  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Vincenzo Lomaestro:

    Hi BiggerPockets community,

    I’m hoping to get some honest feedback and perspective from experienced investors.

    I live in San Francisco and have about $90k available for a down payment. I've read several real estate books, understand the basics (NOI, DSCR, cash flow vs appreciation), and my goal is to start building long-term financial freedom through buy-and-hold real estate — ideally small multifamily (2–4 units).

    Given SF prices, I know investing out of state is basically required, and I’m totally open to that. I’ve been focusing on Midwest markets and underwriting deals conservatively.

    Here’s where I’m getting stuck and frustrated:

    • Everyone says “out-of-state is possible”

    • But when I actually talk to agents, the deals they send:

      • Don’t cash flow at asking price

      • Rely on future rent increases or appreciation

      • Often don’t match the criteria we discussed

    • When I push back with numbers, I’m told:
      “Cash flow just isn’t possible in this area anymore.”

    I’m not looking for home runs or speculation — even $150–300/month cash flow on a first small multifamily would be fine. I just don’t want to buy a deal that bleeds cash or only works “on paper.”

    So my questions for those who’ve been through this stage:

    1. Is modest cash flow on a first 2–4 unit still realistic today, or is my expectation outdated?

    2. How do you separate real market reality from agent bias when starting out?

    3. Is the right move to:

      • Keep making low but realistic offers and expect many rejections?

      • Or pause and rework assumptions entirely?

    4. For those who started out-of-state:

      • What finally helped you get past this “stuck” phase and close deal #1?

    I’m not trying to rush — I just want to move forward intelligently instead of spinning my wheels.

    Any perspective (especially from people who started in the last few years) would be hugely appreciated.

    Thanks in advance 🙏

    — Vincenzo


     Hi Vincenzo, I think you are in the right path. The midwest is better to invest because it landlord-friendly, lower barrier of entry, and your money goes a long way. 

    You can choose cashflow markets, appreciation, or both. For deals, you need to make deals happen not wait for deals to come to you. 

    Find an investor agent, that can connect you with good contractors, hard-money lenders/DSCR lenders, and property managers that can lease and manage for you.

    Your agent should be getting you off-market deals. Buy them at 75% ARV rule, offer at the value that works for you. They can also help guide you in building a Scope of Work to get a clear/better indicator of your rehab costs.

    Happy to help you strategize and come up with a plan. I own 28 rental units in my market and sold over 120+ properties on/off-market last year.

  • Specialist · Member since 2026 · 53 posts · 25 votes
    7mo

    I can relate to this a lot. When I run numbers conservatively, I keep seeing the same thing — plenty of deals almost work, but only if you start stretching assumptions.

    The disconnect with agents is real. I’ve found that when I push back with numbers, the response often reflects market competitiveness more than what actually works for a buy-and-hold investor.

    I don’t think modest cash flow expectations are unrealistic, but it does seem to require a lot more patience and passing than people expect. Reunderwriting assumptions makes sense occasionally, but personally I try not to loosen discipline just to get a deal to work.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 915 votes
    7mo

    @Vincenzo Lomaestro

    Hey Vincenzo, welcome to investing! It’s definitely still possible to get modest cash flow on a first small multifamily if you focus on the right Midwest markets. The key is sticking to conservative underwriting, don’t rely on future rent growth or appreciation to make the numbers work. Out-of-state, the best investors get deals by connecting with boots-on-the-ground teams: reliable agents, property managers, and contractors who understand cash-flowing properties. Low but realistic offers, persistence, and filtering out agent hype usually get you to that first deal. I’ve seen first-time investors close solid 2–4 unit deals consistently by keeping their expectations realistic and having a team who can spot undervalued properties.

  • Stacy RaskinBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 497 votes
    7mo

    Investing in out of state and cash flowing is possible. It's important to do your research and know your numbers from learning more about the area that you're going to invest in such as sales prices, rents, crime and what kind of vacancy factor is to be expected.

    There are also turnkey property companies that will sell you a recently remodeled property that has a tenant in place.

    From what I've heard from client feedback, it can be very helpful to visit the area that you are thinking about investing in so you aren't relying only on second hand information from others. There are clients cash flowing on single family rental properties and larger. Happy to connect to discuss further. 

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    @Vincenzo Lomaestro The real estate isn't the problem, your expectations are the issue. How do you expect to achieve financial freedom collecting $150–$300 per month on a rental once you account for reasonable reserves and the larger CapEx events that are inevitable over time? Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is the model many gurus want people to believe in, and it's simply not realistic for most.

    Rental real estate is better treated as a complementary investment vehicle that builds wealth gradually through appreciation and principal paydown. Cash flow should be viewed more as a safety buffer to sustain the property properly, not as an instant path to financial independence.

    Can real estate accelerate your retirement timeline? Yes. Can it create wealth? Absolutely. But “financial freedom” gets thrown around far too casually, and it sets unrealistic expectations. I’d strongly suggest reconsidering the objective.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Vincenzo Lomaestro:

    Hi BiggerPockets community,

    I’m hoping to get some honest feedback and perspective from experienced investors.

    I live in San Francisco and have about $90k available for a down payment. I've read several real estate books, understand the basics (NOI, DSCR, cash flow vs appreciation), and my goal is to start building long-term financial freedom through buy-and-hold real estate — ideally small multifamily (2–4 units).

    Given SF prices, I know investing out of state is basically required, and I’m totally open to that. I’ve been focusing on Midwest markets and underwriting deals conservatively.

    Here’s where I’m getting stuck and frustrated:

    • Everyone says “out-of-state is possible”

    • But when I actually talk to agents, the deals they send:

      • Don’t cash flow at asking price

      • Rely on future rent increases or appreciation

      • Often don’t match the criteria we discussed

    • When I push back with numbers, I’m told:
      “Cash flow just isn’t possible in this area anymore.”

    I’m not looking for home runs or speculation — even $150–300/month cash flow on a first small multifamily would be fine. I just don’t want to buy a deal that bleeds cash or only works “on paper.”

    So my questions for those who’ve been through this stage:

    1. Is modest cash flow on a first 2–4 unit still realistic today, or is my expectation outdated?

    2. How do you separate real market reality from agent bias when starting out?

    3. Is the right move to:

      • Keep making low but realistic offers and expect many rejections?

      • Or pause and rework assumptions entirely?

    4. For those who started out-of-state:

      • What finally helped you get past this “stuck” phase and close deal #1?

    I’m not trying to rush — I just want to move forward intelligently instead of spinning my wheels.

    Any perspective (especially from people who started in the last few years) would be hugely appreciated.

    Thanks in advance 🙏

    — Vincenzo


     You’re ALWAYS better off investing locally, where it’s easier to:

    • Learn the market
    • Network to find deals
    • Network to find contractors
    • Be more hands-on
    • Driveby property to keep tabs on it
    • Network to find a decent Property Management Company (PMC)

    Next best location is somewhere else you lived, where you have an existing network of family & friends to help you as accomplish the above list as needed.

    If you invest OOS, your biggest challenge won't be finding properties to meet your goals on paper, it’ll be successfully outsourcing all of the above.

    The biggest mistake we see OOS investors making in our market, over and over again, is not fully understanding Neighborhood/Property/Tenant Classes and how they impact your probability of success!

    They all run their ROI numbers assuming Class A results – when buying Class B, C & even D rentals.

    Then they’re shocked when their performance expectations aren't met😞

    If you choose to invest OOS, and have little to no landlord experience, we highly recommend targeting Class B Neighborhoods/Properties/Tenants. If you target Class C, you better be prepared emotionally & financially for plenty of challenges.

    You can find Class B properties in the Midwest to BRRRR, but it will take more digging and YOU will need to understand how to analyze & identify them - because a lot of agents, wholesalers, PMCs, etc. will try to sell you Class C or D misrepresented as Class B:

    • Many of them don't know/care what Class the properties are, so they're incompetent.
    • Others know exactly what they are doing, so should be labeled as crooks!
      EITHER WAY YOU LOSE!

    Why is Property Class so important for investors to understand and apply in their investing strategies?

    Because the Property Class dictates the Class of the tenant pool that the property will attract.

    The Tenant Class greatly impacts rental income stability and property maintenance/damage by tenants.

    Both Property Class and Tenant Class will affect what type of contractors, handymen and property management companies you should target and be willing to deal with a property.

    The Property Class will also impact the maintenance & renovations you do to, “Maintain to the Neighborhood”.

    Why is that important?

    Well, if you buy & renovate a property in Class D area to Class A standards, what Tenant Class will actually rent it?

    Or, if you put several Class D tenants in a Class A four-plex, what do you think will happen to the property?

    So, if you fail to apply the correct assumptions to a property, your expectations won’t be met, and it may even be a financial disaster.

    We use the following to rank Property Classes, in order of importance:

    • Property Tenant Pool: closely linked to location, but not always.
    • Property Location: closely linked to tenant pool, but not always.
    • Property Condition & Amenities: it’s important to, “Maintain to the Neighborhood.”

    Key metrics for each Property Class:

    Class A Properties:
    Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 680+, no convictions/evictions in last 7 years.
    Tenant Default: 0-5% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
    Section 8: Class A rents are too high and won’t be approved.
    Vacancies: 5-10%, depending on market conditions.
    Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 3-5 years for positive cashflow, but you get highest relative rent & value appreciation.

    Class B Properties:
    Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 620-680, some blemishes, no convictions/evictions in last 5 years.
    Tenant Default
    : 5-10% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
    Vacancies
    : 10-15%, depending on market conditions.
    Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 1-3 years for positive cashflow, balanced amounts of relative rent & value appreciation.
    Section 8: Class B rents are usually too high for the Section 8 program.

    Class C Properties:
    Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 560-620, many blemishes, but should have no convictions/evictions in last 3 years. Verifying recent 2-years of rental history very important! Same for 2-years of job/income stability.
    Tenant Default: 10-20% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
    Section 8: Class C rents usually meet program requirements, proper screening still recommended.
    Vacancies: 10-20%, depending on market conditions and tenant screening.
    Cashflow vs Appreciation: Should cashflow immediately, at the lower end of relative rent & value appreciation.

    Class D Properties:
    Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores under 560, little to no good tradelines, lots of collections & chargeoffs, but should have no convictions/evictions in last 12 months. Verifying last 2-years of rental history and income/employment extremely important to find the “best of the worst”.
    Tenant Default: 20-30% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
    Section 8: Class D rents meet program requirements, often challenges to pass Section 8 inspection.
    Vacancies: 20%+, depending on market conditions and tenant screening.
    Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, all cashflow with little, maybe even negative, relative rent & value appreciation.

    Where did we get our FICO credit score information from?

    Check out this chart:

    FICO Score

    Pct of Population

    Default Probability

    800 or more

    13.00%

    1.00%

    750-799

    27.00%

    1.00%

    700-749

    18.00%

    4.40%

    650-699

    15.00%

    8.90%

    600-649

    12.00%

    15.80%

    550-599

    8.00%

    22.50%

    500-549

    5.00%

    28.40%

    Less than 499

    2.00%

    41.00%

    Source: Fair Isaac Company

    Make sure you understand the Class of properties you are looking at and the corresponding results to expect.

    Metro Detroit has 132 cities, the City of Detroit 183 Neighborhoods, which we’re analyzing and classifying. Check out the map on our website where we’ve made this all easy to follow.

    We can also share numerous examples of properties & portfolios we’ve assisted investors with!

    DM us if you’d like to discuss this logical approach in greater detail!

    Horror Stories from those that did NOT Understand What they were Buying:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1137397-baltimore-a-path-to-never-ending-pain

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/432/topics/1231840-sell-at-a-loss-or-rent-at-a-loss

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/840134-memphis-turnkey-tenant-turnover-costs

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/963/topics/1195280-experience-of-oos-investing-in-cleveland-after-15-years

  • Aaron AbeytaPro Member
    Member since 2026 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    7mo
  • Aaron AbeytaPro Member
    Member since 2026 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    7mo
  • Mike PaolucciBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2022 · 492 posts · 550 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Vincenzo Lomaestro:

    Hi BiggerPockets community,

    I’m hoping to get some honest feedback and perspective from experienced investors.

    I live in San Francisco and have about $90k available for a down payment. I've read several real estate books, understand the basics (NOI, DSCR, cash flow vs appreciation), and my goal is to start building long-term financial freedom through buy-and-hold real estate — ideally small multifamily (2–4 units).

    Given SF prices, I know investing out of state is basically required, and I’m totally open to that. I’ve been focusing on Midwest markets and underwriting deals conservatively.

    Here’s where I’m getting stuck and frustrated:

    • Everyone says “out-of-state is possible”

    • But when I actually talk to agents, the deals they send:

      • Don’t cash flow at asking price

      • Rely on future rent increases or appreciation

      • Often don’t match the criteria we discussed

    • When I push back with numbers, I’m told:
      “Cash flow just isn’t possible in this area anymore.”

    I’m not looking for home runs or speculation — even $150–300/month cash flow on a first small multifamily would be fine. I just don’t want to buy a deal that bleeds cash or only works “on paper.”

    So my questions for those who’ve been through this stage:

    1. Is modest cash flow on a first 2–4 unit still realistic today, or is my expectation outdated?

    2. How do you separate real market reality from agent bias when starting out?

    3. Is the right move to:

      • Keep making low but realistic offers and expect many rejections?

      • Or pause and rework assumptions entirely?

    4. For those who started out-of-state:

      • What finally helped you get past this “stuck” phase and close deal #1?

    I’m not trying to rush — I just want to move forward intelligently instead of spinning my wheels.

    Any perspective (especially from people who started in the last few years) would be hugely appreciated.

    Thanks in advance 🙏

    — Vincenzo

    Hey @Vincenzo Lomaestro. As someone who was born and raised in San Francisco (North Beach area) and ran into that same issue back in 2021, yes, it's possible to find them. A lot will depend on the overall market and neighborhoods you're looking for. The better the neighborhood, the smaller the margins will be, but you'll have a much easier landlord experience overall. There's a reason why A&B neighborhood sellers don't often let go of their properties. 

    Something to keep in mind though, REI historically hasn't been cashflow based. It's historically been more about buying a good asset, in a good school district and letting it do what it's meant to do (pay off your mortgage and appreciate for long term wealth building).

    Don't get discouraged. Stay patient. You may also need to get a little creative with your rental strategy (If LTR isn't hitting the numbers, maybe you need to pivot into a STR/MTR combo model). Just make sure you're keeping a long term mindset with your investing. Pretty easy to get attached to short term cashflow and pass over some GREAT long term deals that you'll thank yourself for buying down the line.

    Happy to chat further and share some experiences. 

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2024 · 234 posts · 100 votes
    7mo

    Hey @Vincenzo Lomaestro! First off, you’re not crazy and you’re definitely not alone in this phase. What you’re describing is honestly one of the most frustrating (and important) filters between people who talk about investing and people who actually become investors.

    A few straight, no-fluff thoughts from someone who works with out-of-state buyers every day:

    1. Modest cash flow is still realistic, but not everywhere

    Your expectation of $150–300/month on a first 2–4 unit is not outdated. What is outdated is expecting that to exist:

    At list price

    In every Midwest city

    With zero operational upside

    The reality right now is:

     Cash flow exists, but it’s market-specific, deal-specific, and team-dependent.

    When agents say “cash flow doesn’t exist anymore,” what they usually mean is:

    At today’s list prices

    In the neighborhoods they’re used to selling to retail buyers

    Without negotiating or sourcing off-market

    That’s not the same thing as “cash flow is dead.”

    2. You’re already doing the right thing by pushing back on numbers

    The fact that you’re underwriting conservatively and calling BS when a deal only works with:

    Aggressive rent growth

    Appreciation assumptions

    “It’ll stabilize later” logic

    …is a huge green flag.

    Early on, you want:

    Boring rents

    Boring expenses

    Boring cash flow

    If an agent keeps sending deals that miss your box after you’ve clearly defined it, that’s not market reality, that’s misalignment.

    3. This is usually the real problem (not your assumptions)

    Most first-time out-of-state investors are stuck because:

    They’re talking to generalist agents, not investor-first agents

    They’re looking in too many markets at once

    They haven’t pressure-tested property management costs or true rents yet

    Once those three things click, deals start making sense fast.

    4. Low, realistic offers are part of the game

    Yes, expect rejections. That’s normal.

    Your job is not to “win offers,” it’s to buy right.

    What I see work best:

    Make offers that work today, not “someday”

    Be okay losing 10–20 deals before landing one

    Stay consistent instead of constantly reworking assumptions

    If your numbers are conservative and still show a little cash flow, you’re not the problem.

    5. What helped most people get unstuck

    From my experience:

    Locking into one primary market

    Finding an agent + PM combo that invests themselves

    Seeing real rent rolls and PM pro formas, not MLS guesses

    Buying something “good enough” instead of perfect

    I’m a real estate agent based in Memphis, TN, and I help out-of-state investors build buy-and-hold portfolios here. I also work closely with FoundationPM.com, so we’re used to underwriting deals the way investors actually live with them. Not sales-math underwriting.

    Memphis isn’t magic, but it’s one of the markets where modest, cash flow on small multifamily is still achievable if you stay disciplined and buy right.

    Bottom line:

    You’re not stuck because you don’t know enough.

    You’re stuck because you haven’t found the right team + right lane yet.

    Keep your standards. Tighten your focus. Don’t let someone talk you into a deal that bleeds just to “get started.”

    If Memphis ever comes onto your radar, or if you just want a second set of eyes on assumptions, happy to help. You’re closer than you think 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.