I’ve been noticing something for a while now — properties that look “cheap” on paper but just sit.
In most efficient markets, especially larger metros, if something is priced well and clean, it moves. When it doesn’t, I’ve learned to assume the market sees friction I don’t yet fully understand.
It’s easy to default to “location, location, location,” but I think it’s more nuanced than that. Sometimes it’s micro-location. Sometimes it’s tenant profile. Sometimes it’s layout, functional obsolescence, deferred maintenance, or simply buyer pool depth at that price tier.
The longer something sits while comparable properties move, the more I try to ask: what risk is being priced in here?
Curious how others think about “cheap but stagnant” listings in today’s market.
@Pavel Voroniuk
Those can be the best projects for BRRRR deals. I've bought many properties right off the MLS that have sat on the market.
Sometimes it’s just too much work or perceived work. The structural issues are the best. You need to know what you’re doing, but some can be fixed properly for a few thousand for those who know what they’re doing. Not saying all those are easy. They are not. I’ve walked away from plenty.
For the most part, homeowners don’t want projects. For investors like me, I see what it can be, not what it is today. At the right price there are many deals to be had. You just need to know when to walk away.
@Pavel Voroniuk
Those can be the best projects for BRRRR deals. I've bought many properties right off the MLS that have sat on the market.
Sometimes it’s just too much work or perceived work. The structural issues are the best. You need to know what you’re doing, but some can be fixed properly for a few thousand for those who know what they’re doing. Not saying all those are easy. They are not. I’ve walked away from plenty.
For the most part, homeowners don’t want projects. For investors like me, I see what it can be, not what it is today. At the right price there are many deals to be had. You just need to know when to walk away.
This is the right way to think about it. If a deal looks too good in an efficient market, the market is usually telling you something.
The framework I use is to separate "cheap because of a solvable problem" from "cheap because of a structural problem." Solvable problems are things you can fix with capital and time: deferred maintenance, bad cosmetics, below-market rents from a lazy landlord, poor listing photos, or a seller who just wants out. Structural problems are things no amount of money fixes: a terrible floor plan, shared systems that cap your rent upside, environmental issues, zoning restrictions, a neighborhood that is genuinely declining rather than "transitional," or a property that is functionally obsolete for what today's renters want.
The "sits on market" signal is useful but it needs context. A few reasons I have seen properties stagnate that are not obvious from the listing:
Title issues or estate sales where the seller cannot actually close cleanly. The price looks right but no one can get to the finish line. This is sometimes a hidden opportunity if you have patience and a good attorney.
Buyer pool mismatch. A $1.2M 6-unit in a secondary market might be a great deal but the pool of buyers who can put $300K down on a small multifamily in that specific town is tiny. It is not that the deal is bad, it is that there are 4 qualified buyers instead of 40.
The rent roll tells a different story than the listing. Listed at a 7 cap but half the units have tenants with no leases, Section 8 vouchers about to expire, or rents that are artificially inflated to justify the price. Sophisticated buyers see this in due diligence and walk.
Insurance or lending friction. Some older properties in certain markets are becoming difficult or expensive to insure, which changes the math for any buyer relying on financing. I have seen this increasingly in older Northeast multifamily stock.
The question I always come back to is: if I can identify the specific reason it is sitting, can I solve that reason for less than the discount I am getting? If yes, that is a deal. If I cannot identify the reason, I assume I am missing something and keep digging or move on.
Pavel, you are thinking about it the right way. In an efficient market, “cheap” rarely means overlooked instead it usually means risk is being priced in somewhere.
In my experience around Metro Atlanta, stagnation often comes down to micro-location (busy road, school zoning, adjacent use), functional issues (awkward layout, low ceilings, small bedrooms) or buyer financing constraints at that price tier. Sometimes it is simply that the true buyer pool is smaller than the comps suggest.
If it is sitting while similar properties move, I assume the market sees friction and I would start searching for what is not obvious on paper.
Low $ doesn't always mean cheap. A free house might not even be considered cheap if it is actually worth negative dollars. It's all relative to the worth and from my experience, condition is usually the biggest reason low dollar amount houses sit.
You nailed it with the insight about the market pricing in friction you don't see yet. I've walked away from plenty of deals that looked like steals on a spreadsheet. The issue isn't always obvious until you dig into the specifics of that neighborhood, tenant base, or property condition.
Here's how I think about it: a property sits for a reason. Usually it's one of three things -- the price is still too high relative to the work it needs, the buyer pool at that price point is thin, or there's a non-obvious problem like a noisy intersection, utility lines overhead, or future zoning issues. Kenneth's right that BRRRR deals can hide in these listings, but only if you know exactly what needs fixing and can estimate the work accurately.
The trap I see a lot of investors fall into is they value the property at full ARV before they even know if the rehab is doable or what it costs. Run your comps on what similar financed rentals are selling for in that area, not what the raw numbers say. What specific issues are you seeing on these stagnant listings in your market right now?
I agree with your framing.
In an efficient market, “cheap” and “unsold” rarely coexist without a reason.
If something looks inexpensive on paper but sits while true comps move, I assume one of five things is happening:
Hidden CapEx risk
Buyers are underwriting something you are not.
Old roof. Clay sewer line. Foundation movement. Obsolete electrical. Environmental flags. If inspection risk feels asymmetric, buyers discount hard or just pass.
Functional obsolescence
Bad layout kills liquidity.
Small bedrooms. No second bath in a 3 bed comp set. Low ceilings. Awkward additions. No parking in a parking sensitive submarket. These do not always show up clearly in price per square foot analysis.
Micro location drag
Same zip code, different block reality.
Busy road exposure. Adjacent commercial use. Proximity to apartments. School boundary differences. Crime pockets. That friction limits buyer pool depth.
Financing friction
Certain assets screen poorly for lending:
• Mixed use quirks
• Low ceiling height
• Non conforming units
• Tenant issues
• Title complexity
If financing is harder, the buyer pool shrinks. When the buyer pool shrinks, days on market expand.
Buyer profile mismatch
Sometimes the price tier is in no man’s land.
Too expensive for first time buyers.
Too small for institutional.
Too low margin for flippers.
It ends up floating between pools without a natural home.
The key question you asked is the right one:
“What risk is being priced in?”
If it were truly underpriced relative to risk, arbitrage capital would absorb it quickly. Capital is not shy when mispricing is obvious.
When I see cheap and stagnant, I do not ask “Is this a deal?”
I ask “Why are the people closest to this market passing?”
If I cannot articulate the friction clearly, I assume I am the one missing something.
Cheap is not a number.
Cheap is price relative to risk, liquidity, and exit certainty.
Kenneth's right. Those sit for a reason and if you can see past it, they're gold for BRRRR. I've built my portfolio on exactly this -- finding the "why isn't it moving" property. Sometimes it's deferred maintenance nobody else wants to touch. Sometimes it's functional obsolescence: 1970s layout that feels weird but works great after rehab. Sometimes it's just the wrong agent or the listing price was set by someone who didn't do comps properly.
The filter I use: Is the problem structural or cosmetic? Structural (foundation, roof, major mechanical) is deal-killer territory unless the math is absolutely nuts. But cosmetic (dated finishes, paint, flooring, tenant issues that scare off retail buyers) is where I hunt. A property that scares a homebuyer because it has bad tenants or looks rough is a BRRRR slam dunk if you can stabilize it.
Second filter: Is the hold-up a market issue or a perception issue? If it's been on the market 90+ days in a normal market, something's wrong. But if interest rate spike just hit and everything's slow, timing matters. Patience beats panic here.
The biggest win I've had is finding properties that sat 6+ months, the seller got motivated, and I bought 20% below where it was originally listed. Then a 0k rehab and rents went up 00/month. That property was "cheap and stuck" -- now it's cash flowing like crazy.
When you find one, what's your first move to determine if it's actually a deal or just a market-rate bad deal?