Local and Overseas investing

Local and Overseas investing

Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hi all,

My wife and I purchased our first home (single family) in upstate NY in 2020 at a 2.7% interest rate and naturally found ourselves thinking about real estate investing as a result. We have done some renovations to increase value and functionality as potential rental property. We plan to keep this property when we decide to move into a bigger home with growing family. My overall long term plan is to rent this property out when we move and scale up from there. 

As a dual US-Italian citizen with family in Italy, I would like to one day own property in Italy that would give me the flexibility to stay there when travelling abroad but also provide some sort of passive income. Does anyone have experience or advice when looking to invest overseas in particular in Italy?

Any real estate investing advice/suggestions on getting started or overseas investing is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

0Reply
237 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · OH · Member since 2026 · 122 posts · 77 votes
7mo
Quote from @Sean Lanza:

Hi all,

My wife and I purchased our first home (single family) in upstate NY in 2020 at a 2.7% interest rate and naturally found ourselves thinking about real estate investing as a result. We have done some renovations to increase value and functionality as potential rental property. We plan to keep this property when we decide to move into a bigger home with growing family. My overall long term plan is to rent this property out when we move and scale up from there. 

As a dual US-Italian citizen with family in Italy, I would like to one day own property in Italy that would give me the flexibility to stay there when travelling abroad but also provide some sort of passive income. Does anyone have experience or advice when looking to invest overseas in particular in Italy?

Any real estate investing advice/suggestions on getting started or overseas investing is greatly appreciated! Thank you.




Hey Sean,


First off — that 2.7% rate is gold. Keeping that property as a rental when you move is a smart long-term play. Before you scale, I'd run the numbers today as if it were already a rental. Use realistic rent, subtract vacancy, maintenance, CapEx, taxes, insurance, and even property management (even if you self-manage). If it cash flows comfortably with that low rate, you've got a strong foundation.

On Italy — amazing goal, but go in clear-eyed. Financing can be tricky without Italian income, and a lot of foreign buyers end up paying cash. Transaction costs are higher than people expect, and short-term rental rules vary a lot by city. Management is everything if you’re not there full-time.

If I were in your shoes, I’d scale in the U.S. first where you know the system, build equity and liquidity, then buy in Italy more as a lifestyle asset that offsets costs rather than expecting big returns. Overseas can work — it’s just usually more complex and less predictable than domestic investing.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · OH · Member since 2026 · 122 posts · 77 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Sean Lanza:

    Hi all,

    My wife and I purchased our first home (single family) in upstate NY in 2020 at a 2.7% interest rate and naturally found ourselves thinking about real estate investing as a result. We have done some renovations to increase value and functionality as potential rental property. We plan to keep this property when we decide to move into a bigger home with growing family. My overall long term plan is to rent this property out when we move and scale up from there. 

    As a dual US-Italian citizen with family in Italy, I would like to one day own property in Italy that would give me the flexibility to stay there when travelling abroad but also provide some sort of passive income. Does anyone have experience or advice when looking to invest overseas in particular in Italy?

    Any real estate investing advice/suggestions on getting started or overseas investing is greatly appreciated! Thank you.




    Hey Sean,


    First off — that 2.7% rate is gold. Keeping that property as a rental when you move is a smart long-term play. Before you scale, I'd run the numbers today as if it were already a rental. Use realistic rent, subtract vacancy, maintenance, CapEx, taxes, insurance, and even property management (even if you self-manage). If it cash flows comfortably with that low rate, you've got a strong foundation.

    On Italy — amazing goal, but go in clear-eyed. Financing can be tricky without Italian income, and a lot of foreign buyers end up paying cash. Transaction costs are higher than people expect, and short-term rental rules vary a lot by city. Management is everything if you’re not there full-time.

    If I were in your shoes, I’d scale in the U.S. first where you know the system, build equity and liquidity, then buy in Italy more as a lifestyle asset that offsets costs rather than expecting big returns. Overseas can work — it’s just usually more complex and less predictable than domestic investing.

    • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 0 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Alioune Camara:
      Quote from @Sean Lanza:

      Hi all,

      My wife and I purchased our first home (single family) in upstate NY in 2020 at a 2.7% interest rate and naturally found ourselves thinking about real estate investing as a result. We have done some renovations to increase value and functionality as potential rental property. We plan to keep this property when we decide to move into a bigger home with growing family. My overall long term plan is to rent this property out when we move and scale up from there. 

      As a dual US-Italian citizen with family in Italy, I would like to one day own property in Italy that would give me the flexibility to stay there when travelling abroad but also provide some sort of passive income. Does anyone have experience or advice when looking to invest overseas in particular in Italy?

      Any real estate investing advice/suggestions on getting started or overseas investing is greatly appreciated! Thank you.




      Hey Sean,


      First off — that 2.7% rate is gold. Keeping that property as a rental when you move is a smart long-term play. Before you scale, I'd run the numbers today as if it were already a rental. Use realistic rent, subtract vacancy, maintenance, CapEx, taxes, insurance, and even property management (even if you self-manage). If it cash flows comfortably with that low rate, you've got a strong foundation.

      On Italy — amazing goal, but go in clear-eyed. Financing can be tricky without Italian income, and a lot of foreign buyers end up paying cash. Transaction costs are higher than people expect, and short-term rental rules vary a lot by city. Management is everything if you’re not there full-time.

      If I were in your shoes, I’d scale in the U.S. first where you know the system, build equity and liquidity, then buy in Italy more as a lifestyle asset that offsets costs rather than expecting big returns. Overseas can work — it’s just usually more complex and less predictable than domestic investing.


       Hi Alioune,

      I'm still new to the real estate investment space and determines some of the factors you mentioned such as CapEx or in particular. Do you have any strategies or resources you know of that could educate me on factors such as CapEx, determining a realistic rent for my property/area, and the type of insurance you're referring to.

      Thank you!

      Sean L.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Sean Lanza:

    Hi all,

    My wife and I purchased our first home (single family) in upstate NY in 2020 at a 2.7% interest rate and naturally found ourselves thinking about real estate investing as a result. We have done some renovations to increase value and functionality as potential rental property. We plan to keep this property when we decide to move into a bigger home with growing family. My overall long term plan is to rent this property out when we move and scale up from there. 

    As a dual US-Italian citizen with family in Italy, I would like to one day own property in Italy that would give me the flexibility to stay there when travelling abroad but also provide some sort of passive income. Does anyone have experience or advice when looking to invest overseas in particular in Italy?

    Any real estate investing advice/suggestions on getting started or overseas investing is greatly appreciated! Thank you.


     Every country is different, especially with if/how they allow ownership.

    Just searched "Italy" in BP and here's the link:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/search?term=italy 

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Aurora, IL · Member since 2018 · 45 posts · 34 votes
    7mo

    I can't speak to Italy specifically, but I do have experience buying property in Spain. I am not a citizen however, and you having dual citizenship with Italy might help you. The first thing I would do is find a lawyer there who specializes in real estate - specifically acquisitions by non-residents. In Spain, I had to get a foreign ID number and open a local bank account. I then had to put 30% down on the property I purchased (normally 10% for citizens). The bank had me jump through a lot of other weird hoops, but the deal eventually got done in about 3-4 months.  

    Depending on where you want to buy in Italy, a lot of properties outside of touristy areas can actually be quite affordable to where you can just purchase them with cash.

    Your best bet for income on that property would be Airbnb, especially if you plan to stay there yourself at different times throughout the year. Finding a local vacation rental manager you trust is going to be the most important thing. Vet them by checking their Airbnb profile, listings, and reviews. I would also check local laws and regulations regarding short-term rentals, as they can vary by city and are much more strict within metropolitan areas that attract a lot of tourists.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    7mo

    Sean, keeping your 2.7% property as a future rental is a strong long-term move. However, before buying abroad, I would stabilize your first rental and build systems. Build reserves and lending strength. Also, spend extended time in the specific Italian market you are considering. 

  • Realtor · OH · Member since 2026 · 122 posts · 77 votes
    7mo

    Hey Sean,

     Here’s the simple version:

    CapEx = money set aside for big future repairs (roof, HVAC, water heater, etc.).
    Beginner rule: set aside 5–10% of rent annually, or divide replacement cost by lifespan (ex: $10k roof / 20 years = $500/year).

    Rent estimate:
    Don’t guess — use nearby recently rented comps (same beds/baths, similar condition). Check:

    • Zillow (Recently Rented filter)

    • Rentometer

    • BiggerPockets rent estimator

    Insurance:
    When you move out, switch to a landlord policy (DP-3) — it covers dwelling + liability + loss of rent.

    I hope that helps.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 941 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Sean Lanza:

    Hi all,

    My wife and I purchased our first home (single family) in upstate NY in 2020 at a 2.7% interest rate and naturally found ourselves thinking about real estate investing as a result. We have done some renovations to increase value and functionality as potential rental property. We plan to keep this property when we decide to move into a bigger home with growing family. My overall long term plan is to rent this property out when we move and scale up from there. 

    As a dual US-Italian citizen with family in Italy, I would like to one day own property in Italy that would give me the flexibility to stay there when travelling abroad but also provide some sort of passive income. Does anyone have experience or advice when looking to invest overseas in particular in Italy?

    Any real estate investing advice/suggestions on getting started or overseas investing is greatly appreciated! Thank you.


    Congrats on your first property and thinking ahead with rentals! For starting out, I’d focus on building solid cash-flowing assets locally first, especially in affordable Midwest markets, where you can scale with lower risk and learn the ropes of property management, financing, and tenant dynamics. Once you’ve got some experience and systems in place, overseas investing, like in Italy, becomes much easier because you’ll already know how to structure deals and handle remote management. Start small, focus on cash flow, and use that foundation to explore international opportunities later.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.