what did you learn AFTER the first deal

2 Replies

Bought my first investment property in 2013 and I feel like I learned so much that never would have gotten from just reading. I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. I had stayed on the side line for a few years jut reading until I finally just had to do something.

Get a better idea of ARV before you buy

How to deal with lenders

How to write up a lease

How to deal with tenants

What types of houses to go after (niche)

To stop working IN the business

I am still learning and shaping the business but I can't wait for the next deal. What did you learn after your first deal?

It sounds like a cliche, but I learned that you make your money when you buy and realize a profit when you sell. My first property was a lake house I paid cash for, did most of the rehab myself (it was on a lake after all), and sold it before I finished the rehab. The buyer wanted to buy it as is to add their own personal finishing touches. I was hooked.

thanks for the reply lance. I agree! It is so important to buy right! Luckliy I have a mentor or two that are available to instill this in me.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here