Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
7mo
Hi @Pavel Voroniuk nice to meet you here on BP! I underwrite to today’s numbers, assume expenses and rehab go over, flatten rent growth, and make sure the deal still cash flows. If it only works in a perfect scenario, it is speculation. If it works when things go sideways, that is durability.
Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
7mo
Hi @Pavel Voroniuk nice to meet you here on BP! I underwrite to today’s numbers, assume expenses and rehab go over, flatten rent growth, and make sure the deal still cash flows. If it only works in a perfect scenario, it is speculation. If it works when things go sideways, that is durability.
Lender · Boston, MA · Member since 2021 · 125 posts · 64 votes
7mo
I see that all the time where people get pumped up on a deal that looks good in best case scenario. You definitely have to underwrite with all those contingencies in mind.
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
7mo
Strong thread. Conservative underwriting is exactly right. Too many deals look amazing on the spreadsheet because the assumptions are optimistic -- if everything goes perfect. But real estate doesn't work that way. The deals that actually make money are the ones that work even when things go wrong.
Here's my stress test: I underwrite to current market rent (not projected), assume a 6-month vacancy year, build in 10-15% rehab contingency, and model a rate increase of 0.5% at refi. If the deal still hits my minimum cash-on-cash return under those assumptions, I'm comfortable. If it only works if rent climbs 5% a year and nothing breaks, it's not a deal -- it's speculation with borrowed money. As you said, durability beats perfection every time.
Most investors fail because they fall in love with the "best case" scenario and ignore the "bad luck" scenario. In your experience, what's the single assumption that trips up most deals you've seen -- is it the rent projection, the rehab costs, or something else?
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
7mo
Strong thread. Conservative underwriting is exactly right. Too many deals look amazing on the spreadsheet because the assumptions are optimistic -- if everything goes perfect. But real estate doesn't work that way. The deals that actually make money are the ones that work even when things go wrong.
Here's my stress test: I underwrite to current market rent (not projected), assume a 6-month vacancy year, build in 10-15% rehab contingency, and model a rate increase of 0.5% at refi. If the deal still hits my minimum cash-on-cash return under those assumptions, I'm comfortable. If it only works if rent climbs 5% a year and nothing breaks, it's not a deal -- it's speculation with borrowed money. As you said, durability beats perfection every time.
Most investors fail because they fall in love with the "best case" scenario and ignore the "bad luck" scenario. In your experience, what's the single assumption that trips up most deals you've seen -- is it the rent projection, the rehab costs, or something else?
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
7mo
I consider my underwriting slightly conservative but others think it is very conservative.
For example for last 3 years I have under wrote no rent growth and no appreciation for first 5 years. My maintenance/cap ex starts at $300/month for small attached 2/1 non condo. It goes up if detached, more bathrooms, yard, larger, etc.
I do not need to make RE purchases. I am not going to make RE purchases unless they are projected to return far greater than passive options like the sp500. Residential RE is a lot of work and has a plethora of risks. I need a return that provides me a high compensation for my efforts. My time and skills are very valuable, why would I not expect to be extremely well compensated? I want projections that have a very high likelihood of being met.
Northwest Indiana · Member since 2024 · 83 posts · 34 votes
7mo
I tend to think about it a little differently from the note side.
For me it’s more about breakpoints, how long can it carry if payments stop, what do timelines look like if things drag out, and how much cushion is really there in the collateral.Durability isn’t growth assumptions as much as it is friction tolerance.Interesting how different strategies define margin of safety.