Wholesaler · Member since 2026 · 11 posts · 7 votes
Hey everyone — newer member here trying to learn the fundamentals of finding deals that investors actually want.
For experienced investors — when a bird dog or wholesaler brings you an off market deal what are the first things you look at? What immediately makes you say yes or no to a lead?
Trying to understand what real value looks like from an investor's perspective. Thanks in advance.
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
6mo
First thing I look at is the math in the OP's email. If they've done their homework, they'll give me the basics: property address, purchase price, estimated ARV (with the comp sources), and rehab estimate. If they're vague or leading with "you gotta see this property," I delete it. A serious wholesaler or bird dog respects my time.
Then it's all about margin. I'm flipping, so I need roughly 15-20% spread between my all-in acquisition cost (purchase + rehab + carrying + closing) and ARV. If that math doesn't work at the number they're asking, I'm not interested. I've trained my network to know my criteria (max price, preferred zip codes, minimum spread) so they're not wasting my time with long shots.
The third thing is contractor availability. You can have a perfect deal on paper, but if you can't get subs in to rehab it within 90-120 days, you're bleeding holding cost. I validate that before I even look at a property. If my contractors are slammed, I'm not taking new deals.
Last thing: is this a real off-market deal, or did the MLS listing price just come down? Real off-market usually means foreclosure, estate, or a motivated seller who never listed. That's where you find margin. Are you trying to build a bird dog network, or looking to wholesale yourself?
Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2025 · 226 posts · 78 votes
6mo
For you to analyze a deal, you need to have a buy box. Then a contractor you can trust and his/her napkin number for rehab. Finally an agent to confirm the ARV. One thing though about ARV. Prices are falling everywhere. So, you may have to list less than the agebt number today. That comes with ecperience. DM me if you wamt me to show you how I underwrite. We can have a zoom session.
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
6mo
First thing I look at is the math in the OP's email. If they've done their homework, they'll give me the basics: property address, purchase price, estimated ARV (with the comp sources), and rehab estimate. If they're vague or leading with "you gotta see this property," I delete it. A serious wholesaler or bird dog respects my time.
Then it's all about margin. I'm flipping, so I need roughly 15-20% spread between my all-in acquisition cost (purchase + rehab + carrying + closing) and ARV. If that math doesn't work at the number they're asking, I'm not interested. I've trained my network to know my criteria (max price, preferred zip codes, minimum spread) so they're not wasting my time with long shots.
The third thing is contractor availability. You can have a perfect deal on paper, but if you can't get subs in to rehab it within 90-120 days, you're bleeding holding cost. I validate that before I even look at a property. If my contractors are slammed, I'm not taking new deals.
Last thing: is this a real off-market deal, or did the MLS listing price just come down? Real off-market usually means foreclosure, estate, or a motivated seller who never listed. That's where you find margin. Are you trying to build a bird dog network, or looking to wholesale yourself?
Hey everyone — newer member here trying to learn the fundamentals of finding deals that investors actually want.
For experienced investors — when a bird dog or wholesaler brings you an off market deal what are the first things you look at? What immediately makes you say yes or no to a lead?
Trying to understand what real value looks like from an investor's perspective. Thanks in advance.
I’d say the first thing that makes an off-market deal worth my time is whether the numbers make sense without mental gymnastics, clean ARV comps, a realistic rehab budget, and a price that leaves real margin. After that, I’m checking the stuff that kills deals fast: neighborhood quality, tenant profile, age/condition of the big-ticket items, and whether the wholesaler actually has solid access to the property. Investors love off-market because it should mean less competition and better value, especially in Midwest markets where out-of-state buyers want stable cash flow. If a wholesaler brings me something transparent, accurately priced, and in an area with reliable rents, that’s when I lean in.
Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, United States · Member since 2021 · 392 posts · 162 votes
3mo
Bo nailed the flip-buyer perspective. I'll add the buy-and-hold lens since the criteria shifts a bit.
For a rental buy, what I'm looking at first is whether the price creates a rent-to-value ratio that actually cash flows after all expenses — not just the mortgage. A lot of off-market deals get presented as "deals" because they're below list price, but below list doesn't mean below what makes sense to hold. I want the rent to cover PITI, property management, insurance, taxes, capex reserve, and vacancy with something left over.
Second thing is motivation — I want to know why this seller is going off-market. Estate situation, tired landlord, pre-foreclosure, divorce? The reason matters because it tells you how motivated they actually are and whether there's room to negotiate. If a wholesaler can't tell me the seller's situation, that's a yellow flag.
Third is condition — specifically big-ticket items. Roof, HVAC, foundation, electrical panel age. If you can't give me at least a rough condition picture on those, I'm passing until I can. A deal that pencils at the offer price can blow up fast if you're replacing a roof and HVAC in year one.
The best wholesalers I've worked with come with a package: address, price, seller situation, estimated rent, basic condition notes, and comps. Makes the conversation easy and fast. Feel free to DM if you want to understand what investors in specific markets are looking for.