Rent To Retirement

Rent To Retirement

Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 4 votes

I recently purchased a duplex in Florida with the help of Rent To Retirement. I'm sure you've heard their advertisements if you listen to the Bigger Pockets podcasts. This isn't my first real estate rental, but it is my first in Florida. Keep in mind that you do need 20-25% down payment. If you are new to real estate investing, I would pay for their education classes, but since I've done this a half dozen times before, I just picked a property and purchased it. Their fee was paid out by the seller and I got a $25k discount on the property and it appraised for $20k more than the purchase price!  The process was nearly seamless (it's never perfectly seamless in real estate). The RTR property was/is turn key and I purchased it remotely. You may think this is foolish, but I didn't even set foot on the property and relied on the inspection.The property cash flows, though I did put down a big down payment. The property manager has been working out so far. I even purchased this property in my Solo 401k and RTR had a good recommendation for a non-recourse lender. I expect this to be a great investment over time. Some say the net promoter score (Would you work with them again?) is the best indicator of a company's success. I would definitely work with them again and likely will once my cash is built back up to buy another property. 

4Reply
641 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3mo

How long have you owned it? The time for success really is after you have filed a tax return for a full year of ownership.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3mo

    Hey Darren! Wow, what a dream scenario. I'm glad this worked out for you.

    Just make sure your tax strategy is set up to help you grow and scale this. From a tax perspective on this property, you can write off things like mortgage interest, property taxes, insurance, repairs, property management fees, and depreciation. Also keep in mind bonus depreciation is back in effect, so a cost segregation study could accelerate a good chunk of that depreciation into year one. That said, since you have a property manager, that can affect whether you're able to claim REPS (real estate professional status). 

    A lot of people get into real estate for the "passive" income without seeing how it could interplay with your other streams if you make it non-passive. Which you can do by actively participating and meeting other requirements (REPS or STR loophole). This could then offset taxes from other non-passive income, like W-2 or business income, and you can save that money to reinvest into other deals.

    I'd definitely figure out up front which tax strategy works best for your income streams if you haven't already, just so you're not missing out on any opportunities after this great deal! Congrats again! Best of luck and happy to connect!

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
  • Zach LemasterBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3mo

    @Darren Smith, thank you for sharing your detailed experience investing with RTR!  We are thankful to be a part of your first FL investment property.  That is great news on the dual equity gain from the discount and the higher appraised value.  I'm sure the BP community would love to be kept in the loop on other investments you are making and how this specific property performs over time.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the "net promoter score."  We look forward to helping you on your next out of state investment as you continue to expand your portfolio!

  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 815 posts · 425 votes
    3mo

    This entire post absolutely reeks of sponsored content. Glad this person, who has never posted on BP, felt the need to come along and pump a turn key provider and even hawk their education classes as well. 

    This reads like a bunch of baloney.  

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      3mo
      Quote from @Ed O.:

      This entire post absolutely reeks of sponsored content. Glad this person, who has never posted on BP, felt the need to come along and pump a turn key provider and even hawk their education classes as well. 

      This reads like a bunch of baloney.  


      normally I would agree with you..  And to be fair and balance time will tell how good of an investment this will be.. But the scenario I have no doubt is or was as written.. having been around for a few years I have talked to many RTR clients and this is the general perception I see from them.  of course no rental property is perfect there are always bumps in the road. And myself personally IMHO I would not buy rental properties in my retirement account but thats me personally.  Having helped some RTR clients with sticky situations in the past were our business interest did intersect basically on accident I found Zach to be one of the TK providers that goes by far the extra mile to make sure his clients are treated well by who ever sold the property and or PM services..   so Just sayin. 
    • Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 4 votes
      3mo

      The more I think about this caveat the more I agree with it. There are many hoops through which one must jump when he buys real estate through a retirement account, especially if that real estate is leveraged. Before I start, I must mention that I am not a tax or legal advisor and any posts that I make are not for tax or legal advice but for informational purposes only.

      When buying real estate in a retirement account, you cannot use it for your own benefit. You can't live in it. You can't have your relatives live in it. You can't use it for a house hack. All proceeds from the rental must go back into the retirement account and any expenses the rental incurs must be paid out from the account. This necessitates large cash reserves. You will likely have to file a tax return for the retirement account. If there is Unrelated Business Income (UBIT) generated by the property in the account you have to pay taxes on that income from the account. And when you withdraw money from the account, you will have to pay taxes again.

      I have done this before. I don't recommend doing it. If you do decide to do it, make sure you have proper tax advice from an accountant. It can't be just any accountant, it has to be someone who has dealt with this before as it is very easy to break the tax rules that are not clearly stated on IRS.org. 

      The investment I mention in this thread is not my best real estate investment. I bought a duplex in Colorado in 2015 in my IRA and it was the best investment I ever made. I paid taxes on it when I made rental income and when I sold it. I'll pay taxes again, when I take my money out. However, it's better to make money and have to pay taxes than it is to not make money.

      With all that said, it IS better to buy real estate outside of retirement accounts. If there is any way to make it happen outside of retirement accounts you should consider that first. 

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      3mo
      Quote from @Darren Smith:

      The more I think about this caveat the more I agree with it. There are many hoops through which one must jump when he buys real estate through a retirement account, especially if that real estate is leveraged. Before I start, I must mention that I am not a tax or legal advisor and any posts that I make are not for tax or legal advice but for informational purposes only.

      When buying real estate in a retirement account, you cannot use it for your own benefit. You can't live in it. You can't have your relatives live in it. You can't use it for a house hack. All proceeds from the rental must go back into the retirement account and any expenses the rental incurs must be paid out from the account. This necessitates large cash reserves. You will likely have to file a tax return for the retirement account. If there is Unrelated Business Income (UBIT) generated by the property in the account you have to pay taxes on that income from the account. And when you withdraw money from the account, you will have to pay taxes again.

      I have done this before. I don't recommend doing it. If you do decide to do it, make sure you have proper tax advice from an accountant. It can't be just any accountant, it has to be someone who has dealt with this before as it is very easy to break the tax rules that are not clearly stated on IRS.org. 

      The investment I mention in this thread is not my best real estate investment. I bought a duplex in Colorado in 2015 in my IRA and it was the best investment I ever made. I paid taxes on it when I made rental income and when I sold it. I'll pay taxes again, when I take my money out. However, it's better to make money and have to pay taxes than it is to not make money.

      With all that said, it IS better to buy real estate outside of retirement accounts. If there is any way to make it happen outside of retirement accounts you should consider that first. 


      the main reason I caution IRA rental purposes is some folks simply do NOT really have enough money in their IRA to take care of unexpected costs that could come up and they find themselves in a pickle. And of course the other tax remaifications your missing.. But again to be fair and balanced coming out of the GFC TK providers needed to sell to IRA buyers as financing was stuck and that is what started my current business I was doing 50% down loans to IRA clients non recourse I did a few hundred of them in Orlando through Armando Montelongo's program and well those clients have all doubled their money easily and my loans were for 3 to 5 years and I have nary a default.. However there were clients who did this that as stated had expenses that exceed available cash in their IRA and that created an issue. 
  • Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    3mo

    Ashish,

    Perhaps you missed the part where I purchased the duplex in my SoloK. This is the real reason for my big down payment. Non-recourse lenders require more money down because they can’t come after me personally. RTR will let you purchase properties with as little as 5% down. It’s just hard to get them to cash flow this way and I seek cash flow. I’ll pass on your offer as I already have a tax advisor. 

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    3mo

    Jay,


    In general, I agree that retirement accounts are not the best place to buy rental real estate. Many of the tax benes go out the window. Unfortunately, this is where the bulk of my wealth exists and I am nearer retirement than most. I invest where my money is. Let this be a lesson to all of you younger investors. Keep your money out of trad 401ks! Do get the company match, if you have one but put it in a Roth 401k. They didn’t exist when I started investing. 

  • Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    3mo

    Ed O.

    That’s an interesting handle. I put my real name on my post. I assure you I’m a real investor. I don’t get paid by RTR. Believe me or not. I don’t really care. I’ll keep getting rich and you can keep hating. Cheers!

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3mo

    How long have you owned it? The time for success really is after you have filed a tax return for a full year of ownership.

    • Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 4 votes
      3mo
      Quote from @Eric James:

      How long have you owned it? The time for success really is after you have filed a tax return for a full year of ownership.

      I’ve only owned it two months. Time will tell if it’s a good investment. So far, so good. 
  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Darren Smith:

    I recently purchased a duplex in Florida with the help of Rent To Retirement. I'm sure you've heard their advertisements if you listen to the Bigger Pockets podcasts. This isn't my first real estate rental, but it is my first in Florida. Keep in mind that you do need 20-25% down payment. If you are new to real estate investing, I would pay for their education classes, but since I've done this a half dozen times before, I just picked a property and purchased it. Their fee was paid out by the seller and I got a $25k discount on the property and it appraised for $20k more than the purchase price!  The process was nearly seamless (it's never perfectly seamless in real estate). The RTR property was/is turn key and I purchased it remotely. You may think this is foolish, but I didn't even set foot on the property and relied on the inspection.The property cash flows, though I did put down a big down payment. The property manager has been working out so far. I even purchased this property in my Solo 401k and RTR had a good recommendation for a non-recourse lender. I expect this to be a great investment over time. Some say the net promoter score (Would you work with them again?) is the best indicator of a company's success. I would definitely work with them again and likely will once my cash is built back up to buy another property. 

    Welcome to the community, Darren! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. It's refreshing to hear a balanced review that includes both the positives and the reality that no real estate transaction is ever completely smooth. It sounds like you stayed focused on the fundamentals—buying at a discount, confirming the value with an appraisal, getting an inspection, and making sure the property cash flowed. Buying remotely isn't for everyone, but with the right team and plenty of due diligence, it can absolutely work. I also like that you mentioned the importance of the property manager since that's usually one of the biggest factors in a successful long-distance investment. Hope the duplex performs well for you over the long run, and it'll be interesting to hear an update after you've owned it for a year or two. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 815 posts · 425 votes
    3mo

    @Eric James

    Hey just bought it. And he's here to tell us all how it's the greatest thing we could ever do after two months of ownership. If you buy one and mention him, he gets a $500 credit if I'm not mistaken. He might get a $50 bump if you buy the education he suggests you to buy. 

    He sure has the swagger of someone that walks around bragging about owning two houses - good for him! In his own words - he's getting rich!

    These product placement / sponsored content in camoflauge posts sure are great!

    I bet Op's next post is about how prepaid legal put him over the top and into 4 figure success! 

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    3mo

    Nice man, good luck sir!

  • Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    3mo

    Thanks for sharing. It's always helpful to hear different experiences with rental property investing. Doing thorough research and understanding the details of a deal are important steps for any investment decision.

  • Zach LemasterBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3mo

    @Ed O. Thanks for giving this post even more attention.  Yes, that is good PR for RTR, which we'll gladly take!  ; )

    We don't pay clients to post reviews, and never have. However, we do absolutely encourage them to share their experiences publicly and talk about what they are doing in REI. That opens the door to creating conversations, networking, and receiving feedback (good and bad). All of which are beneficial. While this investment is still new for @Darren Smith, I'm sure he will be happy to keep the community updated on his journey over time, because that is what investing is...a journey.  He seems to be happy with how the purchase worked out with the deal structure and overall transaction, so hey, that's an initial win.  I actually felt his post was rather thoughtful and candid about his personal decision and approach.

    Myself and my company has been a thought leader in REI on BP for over a decade with thousands of reviews (good and bad). But hey, we're still here helping investors and thriving in all market conditions. Very few companies can say the same!
     

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3mo

    @Darren Smith

    It looks like you have made some smart purchases, and especially that you double-checked your calculations instead of just following the marketing. Distance purchasing is absolutely no problem if you do a proper inspection and manage the property well. Best of luck with increasing your portfolio!

    Good luck!

  • James JonesPro Member
    Investor · Collierville, TN 38017 · Member since 2017 · 685 posts · 500 votes
    3mo

    Nice, sounds like it went smooth. Buying in the Solo 401k with a non-recourse lender is the part most people sleep on, that's a solid move.

    Couple honest flags though since you've done this six times and can handle it: turnkey means you're paying retail. The $20k "appraisal over purchase" is nice but appraisals on turnkey deals run generous, so I'd hold off calling it real equity till you'd actually clear it on a sale. And Florida insurance is the wild card right now, premiums are brutal and climbing, so watch how that hits your cash flow year two and three.

    Also with it in the 401k, no depreciation benefit to you personally, which is fine, just means the whole thesis rides on cash flow and appreciation.

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      3mo
      Quote from @James Jones:

      Nice, sounds like it went smooth. Buying in the Solo 401k with a non-recourse lender is the part most people sleep on, that's a solid move.

      Couple honest flags though since you've done this six times and can handle it: turnkey means you're paying retail. The $20k "appraisal over purchase" is nice but appraisals on turnkey deals run generous, so I'd hold off calling it real equity till you'd actually clear it on a sale. And Florida insurance is the wild card right now, premiums are brutal and climbing, so watch how that hits your cash flow year two and three.

      Also with it in the 401k, no depreciation benefit to you personally, which is fine, just means the whole thesis rides on cash flow and appreciation.


       I dunno about this generous appraisal claim. It's pretty rare that the appraiser will give a value higher than the purchase price in a deal. Most of the time if the value is there, they just give it the value of the purchase price.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Darren Smith:

    I recently purchased a duplex in Florida with the help of Rent To Retirement. I'm sure you've heard their advertisements if you listen to the Bigger Pockets podcasts. This isn't my first real estate rental, but it is my first in Florida. Keep in mind that you do need 20-25% down payment. If you are new to real estate investing, I would pay for their education classes, but since I've done this a half dozen times before, I just picked a property and purchased it. Their fee was paid out by the seller and I got a $25k discount on the property and it appraised for $20k more than the purchase price!  The process was nearly seamless (it's never perfectly seamless in real estate). The RTR property was/is turn key and I purchased it remotely. You may think this is foolish, but I didn't even set foot on the property and relied on the inspection.The property cash flows, though I did put down a big down payment. The property manager has been working out so far. I even purchased this property in my Solo 401k and RTR had a good recommendation for a non-recourse lender. I expect this to be a great investment over time. Some say the net promoter score (Would you work with them again?) is the best indicator of a company's success. I would definitely work with them again and likely will once my cash is built back up to buy another property. 


  • Member since 2026 · 37 posts · 54 votes
    2mo

    I saw this post and thought it was a great reminder that the true test of a turnkey investment is not the day you close — it is what happens after you have owned the property for 12+ months.

    A lot can look great during the acquisition process. The numbers work on paper, the property is renovated, the tenant is placed, and everything feels like a success. But the real experience comes after you are responsible for the property through the first lease cycle, repairs, tenant turnover, management issues, and unexpected challenges.

    I would encourage everyone making a turnkey purchase to revisit their review at the one-year mark to provide an honest update.

    When we purchased our turnkey properties, we were actually offered a $25 gift card by the provider to leave a review after closing. At that point, everything felt smooth, and we did leave a positive review based on our initial experience.

    However, a year later, our perspective has changed significantly. The long-term ownership experience has included challenges we never anticipated, and the story looks very different after dealing with the realities of ownership.

    A turnkey purchase should not only be evaluated by how easy the buying process was. The more important questions are:

    • Did the property perform as expected?
    • Did the area attract the type of tenants you were expecting?
    • Did the management team deliver?
    • Would you buy the same property again knowing what you know today?

    The first few months after closing tell you about the transaction. The first year tells you about the investment.

  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 815 posts · 425 votes
    2mo

    Excellent point on the offer of a small incentive to have you post about it - thanks for being transparent and candid. There's a pattern of brand newbs, wet behind the ears, coming here, making their first post, bragging about being a real estate investor and how great their experience is with this same firm. Only a fool goes to forums like this and boasts, brags and promotes something they have done and owned for a couple of days. 

    • Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 4 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Ed O.:

      Excellent point on the offer of a small incentive to have you post about it - thanks for being transparent and candid. There's a pattern of brand newbs, wet behind the ears, coming here, making their first post, bragging about being a real estate investor and how great their experience is with this same firm. Only a fool goes to forums like this and boasts, brags and promotes something they have done and owned for a couple of days.

      You got me! I totally made these posts and an over $1/2MM investment for a $25 gift certificate!

      For the rest of the mostly respectful folks out there: the reality is that these turnkey investments are retail. With the rental investment market as tough as it is today, builders and rehabbers are offering incentives. If you have money and not a lot of time then turnkey might be for you. Of course, you’ll have to carefully analyze every deal for your specific situation. I’m three months in to this investment and I just received the rest of my incentive in the form of prepaid management fees. I say this not to brag, but let real investors know that the incentives are out there. Yes, three months is not long enough to see if this is a good investment. I don’t think a year is long enough. I’ll take a look after 5 years and evaluate if I want to sell or keep it. I’m in this for the long term because that is the beauty of real estate; it usually gets better over time. Inflation is real. Rents and home values go up and the value of my loan goes down while the tenants are paying it off. However, the market could crash. My property could get hit by a hurricane. I could get some crappy tenants that trash the place. I’ve experienced two of those three possibilities. Investing is not without risk and public forums are not without trolls. 

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Ed O.:

      Excellent point on the offer of a small incentive to have you post about it - thanks for being transparent and candid. There's a pattern of brand newbs, wet behind the ears, coming here, making their first post, bragging about being a real estate investor and how great their experience is with this same firm. Only a fool goes to forums like this and boasts, brags and promotes something they have done and owned for a couple of days. 

       Bro, owning real estate is literally the most proven investment a person can make. If you buy a house with a loan, at the appraised price or lower, and hold it for an appropriate amount of time, you're gonna make money. It's that simple. It's a good thing.

      Real estate has appreciated at an average of 4.2% over the last 100 years, nationwide. If a company can help a person acquire a property like this, it's a good investment at all times. 

      New, not new, wet behind ears, blah blah blah. 99.9% of the time people come on this website crying about their real estate investments not working out for them, it's because of one, or both, of the 2 reasons below.

      1. They overpaid for the property because they did not buy with a mortgage & appraisal.

      2. They aborted the investment too early because they don't have the stones to deal with short term tenant problems that occur.

  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 815 posts · 425 votes
    2mo

    I stand by my remarks. Lots of people coming on here ONLY posting about rent to retirement. 

    Bragging about buying a rental property with them. Congratulations,  you have purchased a rental property. 

    Then promoting Rent to Retirement,  in the hopes of getting a referral fee paid to them. Mind you many of these people making these poats have done few, if any other deals while promoting how great the turn key seller took their money and completed their transaction.  They act like subject matter experts after closing their first or second deal. 

    That's quite dishonest and misleading for the large population of newbs here that don't know any better.

    Wash, rinse, repeat. 

    @James Wise

    If a company can help a person acquire a property like this, it's a good investment at all times.

    Are you an affiliate? That blanket statement to me is quite loaded. Seems like you're saying that any company (turn key) that sells to newbs is a good thing. I'm guessing you have missed the many sob stories of people that have been burned badly by turn key sellers here. I can understand that it's easier to look the other way if you do deals with turn key sellers - I dont know or care if you do. 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/963/topics/1244648-be-very-careful-of-turnkey-providers?anchor=simplified-forums__discussion__replies-container&page=2

     Op, do you have any other wonderful wisdom? It seems like youre all knowing about rent to retirement and are here to help others on the board.

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Ed O.:

      I stand by my remarks. Lots of people coming on here ONLY posting about rent to retirement. 

      Bragging about buying a rental property with them. Congratulations,  you have purchased a rental property. 

      Then promoting Rent to Retirement,  in the hopes of getting a referral fee paid to them. Mind you many of these people making these poats have done few, if any other deals while promoting how great the turn key seller took their money and completed their transaction.  They act like subject matter experts after closing their first or second deal. 

      That's quite dishonest and misleading for the large population of newbs here that don't know any better.

      Wash, rinse, repeat. 

      @James Wise

      If a company can help a person acquire a property like this, it's a good investment at all times.

      Are you an affiliate? That blanket statement to me is quite loaded. Seems like you're saying that any company (turn key) that sells to newbs is a good thing. I'm guessing you have missed the many sob stories of people that have been burned badly by turn key sellers here. I can understand that it's easier to look the other way if you do deals with turn key sellers - I dont know or care if you do. 

      https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/963/topics/1244648-be-very-careful-of-turnkey-providers?anchor=simplified-forums__discussion__replies-container&page=2

       Op, do you have any other wonderful wisdom? It seems like youre all knowing about rent to retirement and are here to help others on the board.


       For 1 yes, Rent To Retirement is one of several sponsors I have on HoltonWiseTV. I'm not hiding that, and am very open about all of my sponsors here on the threads, but good for you in asking the question if you weren't sure. Everyone on this site is posting with a bias or an agenda, myself included.

      Having said that.........

      The blanket statement of anyone who buys a rental property with a loan at or below the appraised price made a good investment. This is generally true no matter who they buy the house from. Rent To Retirement, random FSBO or some old lady Realtor on the MLS. Real estate has proven to be one of the best and most stable investments someone can make. That is an undeniable fact.

      People who get burned buying real estate generally screw up one of the following ways.

      1. They overpaid for the property because they did not buy with a mortgage & appraisal.

      2. They aborted the investment too early because they don't have the stones to deal with short term tenant problems that occur.

  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 815 posts · 425 votes
    2mo

    Thanks for being honest and clearing that up.

    I didn't know you have a show or  podcast,  but I do find it a bit odd how affiliates of turn key providers, such as yourself and others, use their presence to try and come to the rescue of the them while not disclosing this. It feels misleading and dishonest. I realize no one is legally obligated to disclose things like this, but it doesn't reflect well on our group as a whole when people have to be bothered to disclose this.

    From that house of cards,  newbs with a few nickels in a high cost of living area then get impressions that people think turn key providers are the best and run to buy these easy to manage properties, as they're told.  They often end up with war zone specials and future posts here about their losses.  

    The vomitous product placement posts by people who have never been on the board preaching to us about how great of an investment they just made is laughable.

    I disagree about buying any asset at appraised price. Would a class d 100 year old house in a war zone be a good investment? For very few people it could. For a newbie, out of state, hundreds or thousands of miles away and wet behind the ears who is the target market? I don't see any reason why it is a good investment for them. 

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Ed O.:

      Thanks for being honest and clearing that up.

      I didn't know you have a show or  podcast,  but I do find it a bit odd how affiliates of turn key providers, such as yourself and others, use their presence to try and come to the rescue of the them while not disclosing this. It feels misleading and dishonest. I realize no one is legally obligated to disclose things like this, but it doesn't reflect well on our group as a whole when people have to be bothered to disclose this.

      From that house of cards,  newbs with a few nickels in a high cost of living area then get impressions that people think turn key providers are the best and run to buy these easy to manage properties, as they're told.  They often end up with war zone specials and future posts here about their losses.  

      The vomitous product placement posts by people who have never been on the board preaching to us about how great of an investment they just made is laughable.

      I disagree about buying any asset at appraised price. Would a class d 100 year old house in a war zone be a good investment? For very few people it could. For a newbie, out of state, hundreds or thousands of miles away and wet behind the ears who is the target market? I don't see any reason why it is a good investment for them. 

      I was selling warzone properties you mentioned in Cleveland back in 2013. Duplexes trading for between $30-$60k. Same duplexes trade for $100k-$150k today.

      So ya, those woulda made anyone who bought them money so long as they held them long enough.

      As I said, if you buy for appraised price with a loan, and hold for the appropriate amount of time, its basically a guarantee you'll make money.

      Now as for Rent To Retirement. The product they specialize in isn't even the low cost 100 year old Section 8 product that I specialize in, and that you are talking about.

      They specialize in the exact opposite product. They do like $200k to $400k new construction real estate. If you're gonna run your mouth, do your research 1st playa.

  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 815 posts · 425 votes
    2mo

    Ahh yes. I'll listen to a guy that promotes people he's being paid by without disclosing it. 

    It seems like I am more familiar with rent to retirement than you. Read up and you'll find stories like I have mentioned. It's clear you're not familiar with rent to retirement but like their advertising dollars. Birds of a feather flock together. 

    done wasting my time on this thread. Hope it earns you a referral bonus 

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Ed O.:

      Ahh yes. I'll listen to a guy that promotes people he's being paid by without disclosing it. 

      It seems like I am more familiar with rent to retirement than you. Read up and you'll find stories like I have mentioned. It's clear you're not familiar with rent to retirement but like their advertising dollars. Birds of a feather flock together. 

      done wasting my time on this thread. Hope it earns you a referral bonus 


       Now you're just moving the goalpost bro. You can look through the 1,000' and 1,000's of pieces of content I have posted here on this site, and elsewhere online. I am constantly talking about my relationship with Rent to Retirement as well as any other business that I have done, or am doing business with. Additionally, the moment you asked me the question, I answered it. 

      Now, since I have made multiple valid points that you have no reasonable rebuttal too, you've simply moved the goal post and accused me of not being transparent.

      My guy, you obviously have no idea who you're talking to. The most popular content on HoltonWiseTV is 1,000's of videos of tenants doing horrible crap to their landlords. Live evictions, hoarders, fires, floods, you name it, we show it. Literally millions of people have been expised to the nightmares that can happen to landlords by me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.